PS3 Cloning PS3 HDD

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Ulquiorra-Sama, Aug 31, 2018.

1. 165
    Ulquiorra-Sama

Ulquiorra-Sama Member

I want to change my PS3 HDD withouth losing data, when i just make a backup form XMB i will lose Han? If yes can't i just clone it? Yes i can just google that but i prefer to aks to the right peoples.

Thank You!!

jbtheworld likes this.
  2. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

This has always been a popular question as you can imagine & as a result, there are already numerous threads in this forum fully detailing this topic, the various caveats for each option at your disposal & recommended solutions, you should search for them.

To sum up briefly, the only way to fully restore your old data is to make a 1:1 clone of your old hdd using an appropriate partitioning utility on your PC.

If you decide to make a clone on Windows, I suggest you be careful not to lose your data when connecting the old ps3 HDD. Windows will not recognise the ps3 partition & will ask you to perform an operation on the disk in order to use it. If you accept, a few bytes of data will be written to the disc & it will become unreadable by the ps3!
    You just need to say no to the Windows invite & your data will be safe. If you don't want to take any risk with Windows, you could use a cloning tool booting in DOS or in Linux (Live CD).

Before you start cloning though, remember the fundamental caveat of 1:1 cloning, a clone implies reusing precisely the same number of sectors that made the old ps3 hdd partition or more.

With that in mind, if your new hdd is smaller, obviously it cannot work.

If your new hdd is the same size, it will work just fine although keep in mind that from one model to the next, there may be annoying discrepancies though.
    For instance, I recently tried to make a 1:1 clone of a Maxtor 750Gb onto a new WD 750Gb & the process failed because the new HDD (WD) uses 1 tiny sector less than the Maxtor! Better check disk technical specs carefully before buying anything in that case.

If your new hdd is bigger the extra sectors will be ignored which is a real pita if you also intended to increase your storage capacity by using a bigger disk!

If 1:1 ie sector per sector cloning isn't a viable option for whatever reason then you will NOT be able to fully restore your data. There is no available utility to help you achieve a full backup/restore, whether on ofw or cfw.

Alternatively, the PS3 official backup utility can help you backup/restore certain things but you must be prepared to lose some data. It's no big deal imo but since you asked, you will definitely loose HAN if you use the official backup utility.
    Check other threads and/or the Sony PS3 official support website for information about what can be backed up & what cannot.
    A word of warning, if you choose to backup as much data as the official utility will let you, if your disk is big & full, be ready to wait for many hours for the utility to finish the backup operation!

I stopped cloning/copying etc.. long ago. I now only keep a backup of essential files like licenses, mods, game saves, essential pkg files etc.. Those are the only files I restore after full hdd reformatting & it does not take long, I reinstall all the games but only whenever I need to play them. In most cases, a game installation isn't very long ie from a few seconds to a few minutes on average, except for a few notable titles like LBP3, GT6 etc which can take considerably longer due to the quantity of files & game structuring..

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    jbtheworld likes this.
  3. 165
    Ulquiorra-Sama

Ulquiorra-Sama Member

Man, thank you for this complete answer, and sorry for making this repetated question