PS3 [Coming Soon] FB Alpha Retro Loader (Light) v1.0 [Powered by PSL1GHT]

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by CaptainCPS-X, Aug 18, 2017.

By CaptainCPS-X on Aug 18, 2017 at 10:12 PM
  1. 37
    CaptainCPS-X

CaptainCPS-X Developer

Check it out as @CaptainCPS-X has made a return to the PS3 Homebrew Community recently and the developer has some plans and a bit of a preview of an upcoming release. A new version of his popular project FBA RL (Final Burn Alpha Retro Loader). This arcade emulator is based off the PS3 version of RetroArch/Libretro, but being CaptainCPS-X is an official contributor to the Windows FBA project and also a PS3 dev there was no better person to bring the original feel of the arcade emulators to the PS3 from windows. Now the developer is deciding to ditch the Sony SDK used to create the original version and has decided to o the pslight route for various reasons outlined in the Coming Soon Announcement you can view from CaptainCPS-X below:
    -STLcardsWS

ICON0.PNG

• FB Alpha Retro Loader (Light) v1.0 [Powered by PSL1GHT v2]
      FB_Alpha_Retro_Loader__Light__v1.0_6.png PIC1.PNG FB_Alpha_Retro_Loader__Light__v1.0_7.png

What is it?
      • Well for those who don't know FB Alpha is a multi-arcade emulator just like MAME, originally released on Windows. FB Alpha Retro Loader objective is to bring the original FB Alpha easy to use interface and features to PS3. It uses a modified libretro core, and a modified retroarch build.

RetroArch_PS3.png RetroArch_PS3_2(1).png RetroArch_PS3_1.png

• Why do this? I can play FB Alpha on RetroArch
      • Yes, you can search for a ZIP file in your HDD / External device, etc, and hope you have the right one. But FB Alpha RL has the original FB Alpha method to handle drivers, that means, that it will scan the ROMs, get all the info from the embedded FBA database generated by my custom windows FBA build (unreleased), then filter out non-working games, get max players, year, manufacturer, etc. Having the database allows me to handle libretro core properly, and not treat it like a generic emulator.

• Why "Light", what happened to the old FB Alpha RL v1.04 ?
      • I have the code here in my HDD, but it is C++, and I wanted to rewrite it as C, plus this time I'm using PSL1GHT, instead of PS3 SDK. I had a hard time porting a few things but its fun xD, and I can do many things I couldn't with PS3 SDK.

• What are the current features?

Not much right now:
      • Latest FB Alpha core (2017) (v0.2.97.42) (my build fix available at my GitHub repo)
      • In sync with MAME 0.187 romset (older or newer romset might work but could give problems)
      • FB Alpha driver information embedded database (v0.2.97.42).
      • Preview images for FB Alpha drivers.
      • Uses Tiny3D library for video.
      • Configurable (.ini)
      • Themes (background music (mp3), sound effects for ui (wav), fonts (.TTF), etc)
      • Misc features like: Temperature, time, date, HDD space display, etc
      • some other things xD

• Why not release it?
      • I will, as soon as I get more free time to work on the final touches for the initial release. Then in the future I will keep adding features as I find time.

SeeYa!
      :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    jacobsson, janio, Rautz and 17 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by CaptainCPS-X, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X

Work in Progress!

After I came back from work, was able to progress a bit more with the UI.

- Implemented a game title ticker in case it is too long, it will animate the text so you can read it all.
      - Added game selection color animation (cosmetic).
      - Added Title Screen preview (previously was only In-Game preview)
      - Organized game info text (will make the text bigger later)

When I make the first release, I will include the complete Title + In-game preview pack for all supported systems (previews were done by Gab75 from FBA official forums at NeoSource, he did an amazing work!).

Here some screenshots :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SeeYa!
      Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
      ZeroOne, antonioks, Johnnie and 5 others like this.
    2. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X
      Before going to work added support for Unicode title display (at release both Unicode / Non-Unicode titles will be displayed).

Unicode Title Support

[​IMG]

Have a nice day!

SeeYa!
      ZeroOne, citra mulia, Johnnie and 2 others like this.
    3. kadorna2
      kadorna2
      It looks really, really nice. Any plans for adding dipswitch support?
      Naut and CaptainCPS-X like this.
    4. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X
      Libretro already have dipswitch support but its kinda lost in the driver options, I can however add the feature in FBARL so you don't have to mess with libretro options at all, you set everything up through FBARL.

I will add user friendly control / gamepad setup in FBARL as well, you will be automatically prompted to press a key for the button you want to configure. And will make it so you can configure default control settings for every system, so you don't have to set it up for every game.

Some other things I have planned to add to FBARL:

- Game search (by romset name or title)
      - Game filter by system
      - Favorite games
      - Unibios toggle (will be able to select version)
      - Proper aspect ratio for all games.
      - MAME information database support.
      - Flyer image display (will popup in a custom dialog)
      - network path support for ROMs (on supported CFWs)
      - some other things xD

SeeYa!
    5. Naut
      Naut
      Awsome stuff here! this sounds almost too good to be truth:wink:

Good Job! Keep up the good work!
      antonioks and CaptainCPS-X like this.
    6. kadorna2
      kadorna2
      I think I love you
    7. Drag
      Drag
      That wonderful job, impressive. I am very much looking forward
      Naut, antonioks and CaptainCPS-X like this.
    8. antonioks
      antonioks
      It's getting too beautiful, my congratulations.
      Naut and CaptainCPS-X like this.
    9. aoshishino
      aoshishino
      Excellent work ... will also support the memory card of the neogeo?
      please ...:rolleyes:
      antonioks likes this.
    10. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X

Some Clarifications

Hi everyone! I need to take a moment to clarify something I found while doing test of both FBA Libretro core from 2012 and Libretro core 2017.

I already clarified at official FBA forums since I said that I fixed the Altered Beast cpu problems, but I was wrong, here my quote:

http://neosource.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?topic=3129.msg24384#msg24384

And I edited the thread were I gave credits to Gab75 for the Title/In-Game previews, I wrote that he packed it, but he in fact created all the preview images! (no easy feat xD), so big thanks to Gab75 for his amazing work taking the time to make all those previews! :)

FB Alpha Libretro core (2012) GitHub update

For those interested I commited / pushed the fix for those games that didn't load and would make the PS3 freeze. More details here:

https://github.com/CaptainCPS/fbalpha2012/commit/918d310989ec53d0788cd49302eadb8ca2bd68c0

I will update my FB Alpha Libretro (2017) Github repository in a few moments with it as well.

SeeYa!
      Ezio, ZeroOne, Naut and 4 others like this.
    11. antonioks
      antonioks
      CaptainCPS-X We have some hope of the game The King of Fighter 2003, run normal in the core FBA 2012, as it always loaded with bugs, in the image, including the same occurs in the Fba 2012 version for android. Always a hug and success.
    12. CaptainCPS-X
      Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
      Ezio, ZeroOne, Naut and 3 others like this.
    13. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X
      Well so far from what I tested The King of Fighters 2003 is running with no problems on my FB Alpha Libretro (2017) build :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SeeYa!
      ZeroOne, Naut, kadorna2 and 1 other person like this.
    14. antonioks
      antonioks
      CaptainCPS-X Thank you very much my dear, really these screens that you showed, are all bugged in FBA 2012, any chance to see the game Moonwalker, Sega arcade, running on your project? And as for Mame, I dreamed of seeing a stable mom with the PS3, it was already deserved, maybe we'll see StarBlade, Area 51, Arcade Killer Instint 1 and 2 games running on PS3, it's hard to dream. A big hug.
    15. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X
      Moonwalker works, but it have emulation speed issues and some GFX problems, I need to verify if this happens in the official windows FBA or if its something related to PS3 port.

EDIT: Official FBA on Windows don't have problems, it appears to be something related to PS3 build.

Regarding those games you mentioned, don't expect those type of games on FB Alpha, it has never been the goal of FB Alpha project to emulate 3D games. There is a posibility that at least Midway Wolf-unit could be ported from C++11 to something earlier at some point so it could be compiled with PS3 SDK.

SeeYa!
      antonioks likes this.
    16. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X
      I will not be posting updates until next Friday / Saturday, I don't work those days, so I will have more time to work on the final touches for the initial release.

Thanks for the patience! and for your support guys! :D

SeeYa!
    17. antonioks
      antonioks
      CaptainCPS-X we thank you for the affection you are having, answering each comment with precision and patience, if I already had a great love for the FBA project, now it still got bigger, I asked for the Killer Instinte, because I remember that a few years I've been reading something like this for a Mod version of FBA, I do not know if this is the best place but seeing that you are in the FBA project, the long time I ask in the libretro forum, but it ends up being beaten, it would be Of retroarch on nintendo wii, with the game of CPS1 "Forgotten Worlds" the game loads the normal boot, but does not work the START button, inpossibilitando to enter the game, I remember coming from retroarch 0.9.8, in the versions of FBA2012 to Android and ps3, start runs normally in this game, and another peculiar case comes from the game OutRun arcade, for the FBA ALPHA and android FBA2012, that the game runs at normal speed, but the digital and analog controls do not work. A hug and all the best, whenever possible I will be reporting the bugs that I find, I use the FBA with the retroarch of the wii, ps3 and box tv android, long life to the FBA project.:)
    18. CaptainCPS-X
      CaptainCPS-X
      You can talk to me in spanish if its you native language.

En confianza puedes hablarme español si es tu lenguaje nativo :). Y no hay problema, gracias por tu apoyo y el interes por mi trabajo, es un placer.

Saludos!
      antonioks likes this.
    19. kadorna2
      kadorna2
      Ah somos muchos los hispanoparlantes por acá jajaja. Me parece que el señor @antonioks es italiano, por como escribió imposibilitando. Sos español @CaptainCPS-X ?
      CaptainCPS-X and antonioks like this.
    20. antonioks
      antonioks
      CaptainCPS-X, kadorna2 Sou do Brasil, nossa língua nativa é o Português, mas como na maioria do foruns é utilizado o inglês eu com a ajuda do google translator, tento fazer o melhor possível na tradução, mas o google translator, ainda tem muito que melhorar.

El portugués es portugués, pero como en la mayoría de los foros se utiliza el inglés yo con la ayuda del google translator, intento hacer lo mejor posible en la traducción, pero el google translator, todavía tiene mucho que mejorar.
      CaptainCPS-X likes this.