Completely new, want to do something a newb shouldn't...

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Mr. Berzerk, Oct 28, 2019.

1. 33
    Mr. Berzerk

Mr. Berzerk Forum Noob

Software Engineer
    So I have 3 PS3s. One "First of the Shelf" "Fat Boy," that by some miracle, still works, a CECHE01 that can't read PS2 or DVDs for some reason. . . I think the drive is burning out, and a slim, which I have CFW on. Don't ask me how I did that, I couldn't repeat the process back to you if I tried, but I did get webman(?) or something like that on it.
    The reason I put the CFW on the Slim, is if something went wrong, I could just get another for 5-10 bucks.

So here is the thing I want to do.
    I have 78 PSX games
    175 PS2 games,
    141 PS3 games,
    and 57 PSP games.
    I want to put them all in a quick to copy, quick to play archive, since a 4tb hd is only $100 these days.
    Bonus if I can play them all on any PS4 (Or PS3)

I'm looking to find out what the current best practice/process is for this. I understand if I have to have a CFW PS3/4 in order to do this, but I would be very pleased if I could just plug my HD into any free range Playstation. And there is not a chance in purgatory that I am going to 'rebuy' all these games on PSN or pay a monthly subscription for the privilege of playing them conveniently.

I did this with my 82 Wii U/ 149 Wii games, which has been great, because the kids don't need to mess with the CDs. I was actually forced into this because my Wii U games started not working one day after a Nintendo Update changed the anti-pirate check on my Zelda Breath of the Wild, and wouldn't replace my $80 game disc with one that worked. I have seathing hatred for 'anti-pirate' retard measures, that make my purchased games break.

So, if a brother could help out a long time collector of legitimate payed for products, it would be appreciated.

Additional question I have. In dumping the games, is there a bunch of garbage data like the Wii U games that I have to go through a separate process to remove?

2. 457
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

XMB UI Editor/Coder, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    PS3 Games do not have any garbage data, so there's no worries on that. If it were me, i would most likely mod all of the consoles, and back up 4 games at a time, because in order to access PS3 software discs files, they would need to have CFW on them. Unless you had a specific blu ray drive for a pc that could read and decrypt them. In terms of PSX and PS2 games, i think you can simply plop them into any old dvd drive and rip them onto a pc without the need of any special tool.

For PSP games, if they're on their UMD's, you'd need a modded PSP to back them up.

Mr. Berzerk likes this.
  3. 55
    Th3-J0k3r

Th3-J0k3r Member

You can remove all unuses laung packs n videos ect ect there garbage for most

4. 33
    Mr. Berzerk

Mr. Berzerk Forum Noob

Software Engineer
    Thank you. So what is the process for ripping them on a CFW PS3? I'm a little fuzzy on how that is done efficiently.
    Are you saying that I can not install and run my backups on an OFW PS3? (Wii U/ Wii you can 'temp' install the Home brew Channel, install the games, and then boot normally.) I'd prefew to keep at least one of the PS3 on OFW, because I still do connect online on that one.

As for PSP....I guess that is a process I will do later. I've got two different models of PSP (1000 & 2000)

5. 909
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    With that many games it's going to take many hours to backup all of that :confused:

PS1/PS2 = ImgBurn, Read Disc
    PS3 = Multiman backup/PC with compatible Blu-Ray drive (Very unlikely, dont bother trying)
    PSP = CFW PSP with VSH Menu with "UMD ISO Mode" (I think thats what its called) set to "USB".
    Plug in your PSP to PC, enter "USB Connection" and yay .iso is mounted for you to just copy over. 1 GB takes around 10-15 minutes tho. Its slow, it sucks.

Mr. Berzerk likes this.
  6. 1,578
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

As @ISAK.M has already said, ImgBurn is perfectly fine for PS1 and PS2 games. I would definitely advise BIN+CUE format for PS1 games with multiple audio tracks, in order for them to play correctly in-game.

I use the homebrew application multiMAN to rip my PS3 game discs, which I then convert on PC to ISO with PS3 ISO Tools using makeps3iso. I mount PS1 and PS3 backups with webMAN MOD from a USB external drive, and I've had no problems whatsoever in getting them to work. PS2 backups can only be mounted from the PS3's internal HDD.

Mr. Berzerk likes this.
  7. 2,664
    Berion

Berion Developer

On GC/Wii/WiiU "garbage data" is easy to determine. In case of games for Sony platforms, it is not and needs some knowledge and time to rip them manually (sometimes very easy, sometimes very hard). For sure You can delete blindly 256MiB of update which is stored on every PS3 disc game.

Anyway, You should also read some keys like IDPS and ERK plus making flash dump when Your console still works. ;)

8. 909
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Mate, guess what, you can still go online on a CFW PS3. Just use SEN Enabler and you are good to go

9. 585
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Unfortunately, old FAT models won't be suitable for OFW as they always need Fan control homebrew to prevent overheating. Super Slim can run on OFW with proper maintenance.

10. 33
    Mr. Berzerk

Mr. Berzerk Forum Noob

Software Engineer
    Oh. That is great! I'll do that!

11. 33
    Mr. Berzerk

Mr. Berzerk Forum Noob

Software Engineer
    I read somewhere around here that you can dump your games over FTP? Is that significantly slower that dumping to usb and than copying?

Are the ISOs for PS1/2 easy to run on a CFW PS3? Can you merge the multidisc games into some sort of single ISO/package?

12. 33
    Mr. Berzerk

Mr. Berzerk Forum Noob

Software Engineer
    What is an IDPS, ERK?

13. 33
    Mr. Berzerk

Mr. Berzerk Forum Noob

Software Engineer
    I had my old stock PS3 for years now, and it still works. I did 'regrease' the heatsinks though, and clean the fan a couple years ago.

14. 12,866
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

idps is the id used when connecting to psn. it's what's banned if you are banned.
    erk is eid_root_key, which is used for hdd encryption and cex (stock) to dex (debug) conversion.

Mr. Berzerk likes this.
  15. 909
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    FTP is faster, atleast for me then USB.
    And yes, you just put your ripped iso on the internal HDD in the PSXISO/PS2ISO folders.
    I dont think you can merge them tho :(

16. 1,578
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

It's significantly slower unless you use FTP via Ethernet, since transferring over WLAN is slow as hell and takes forever for any reasonably sized file to transfer. Ethernet speeds are much faster, but I generally opt to transfer to USB on my computer and then use a file manager to copy to the internal HDD if necessary.
    Yes, I mount all PS1/2/3 ISOs using the homebrew plugin webMAN MOD, and it couldn't be easier or more convenient in my opinion, as they're all in individual folders within the XMB. You cannot merge multiple discs, but unmounting one image for another is also easy and quick to do.

Mr. Berzerk likes this.