Computer and icon problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pinky, Nov 8, 2019.

1. 12,157
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

for some reason, sd cards will not recognize the icon (ico) I have for them. here's what my autorun.inf looks like:
    [autorun]
    icon=supercard dstwo.ico
    label=SuperCard DSTWO

the label works, just not the icon. I've checked if there's a typo, and there isn't. sometimes the icon appears, but most of the time I doesn't. it's affecting all sd cards. it doesn't seem to affect usb devices. I've gone into the registry to force it to scan the icon, but it didn't do anything. plus, exiting regedit caused the edit to revert back.

2. 12,157
    pinky

I've come to the conclusion that the problem is related with a specific windows security update. this behavior also occurs on another computer. I reinstalled windows to see if the problem was associated with a program, and it worked without a problem. the moment I downloaded a certain security update caused this issue to occur again.

Berion and Kier_1234657 like this.
  3. 1,394
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Try it like this, with the .ico on the root folder of the card:
    Code:
    [autorun]
    icon=.\supercard dstwo.ico
    Hope this helps.

pinky and Berion like this.
  4. 12,157
    pinky

that's actually one of the things I tried. I didn't write down the number of the update, but it seems to be tied to a security update. I'm not sure if disabling the autorun icon was intentional. anyway, the security update can't be uninstalled. it only seems to affect sd cards from the sd reader on both of my systems. I went through process of elimination by reinstalling windows, then testing each update. if you were to use the same icon and autorun file on a usb device, it works, so that has me thinking it's a bug with windows 10. if it was for security, I would've thought it would've affected the autorun's label and definitely the autorun icon on anything (usb or sd).