Connecting PS3 to PC monitor with HDMI

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by arcadesfan, Jul 17, 2019.

1. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Hello - Is it possible to connect a PS3 console to a PC monitor through HDMI, in order to get HD graphics ?

Or is it necessary to buy an HD TV set instead, to get HD graphics ?

I will be grateful for any help.

2. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Works fine on a monitor it's my main screen I game with. May need to reset the video settings if it doesn't show up at first. Just hold the power button till it beeps. That resets the video settings. From there just choose 720p or 1080i/p whatever your monitor supports.

Kier_1234657 and Cypher_CG89 like this.
  3. 591
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Even my PS3 also works with monitor with DVI input, just need a HDMI to DVI converter sockets but for audio output, try to configure with its RCA output or from the HDMI to DVI converter box that comes with audio jack output.

4. 355
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

You could do this if you wanted. Just connect it to your monitor and switch the display setting on your PS3 "RGB Limited" to "RGB Full". Will make the picture look way more vibrant. Might need a little calibration, but the picture will look better on the monitor instead of the TV basically. I've used my PS3 on 4K TV's and it looked like shit, lots of input lag, better off on a 720p display. Or a good Plasma Screen 1080P/i

5. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Does this work fine for you ? I have read some people comment that they get a black screen, so no video signal, did you try it yourself ? Thanks !

6. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

A HD TV set is quite expensive in my country, but a 1920 X 1080 HD PC monitor is far cheaper, can a HD PC monitor with HDMI do the job ?

7. 355
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Absolutely! It will look better on the monitor too. You may need some external speakers though.

arcadesfan likes this.
  8. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

what TV is it?i suppose there are 4k TV that have really bad scallers that affect even 1080p but it's really uncommon.maybe you should play around with modes (see if it has game mode or similar) an picture size (that's the scaler) but you should get 1080p and 720p to look at least adequatly.

on my 4k OLED ps3 looks good,but it has really decent scaler.basically anything 480p or better looks really good.

about lag - usually on TV's (especially cheaper models) image processing and especially deinterlacing gets you huge ammount of lag.getting the tv in 'game' or PC mode or similar or manually turning off all of the processing resolves that issue.also,sometimes there's label on the hdmi port labelled PC or DVI that is more optimized for using it as a monitor and by default it switches off most of the processing when using that port.

deinterlacing can be avoided mostly by simply unchecking all of the 'i' labelled resolutions in video settings forcing the ps3 to use just progressive resolutions.for ps2 and ps1 games there's homebrew that can force progressive resolutions (irisman for ps1,managunZ for ps2 games,but i've found manually patching ps2 backups to work the best) but not all games can be forced to work that way.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  9. 1,696
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

All modern monitors should be compatible with PS3 through HDMI.
    Back in the days old ones do not have HDCP support.
    There is a way to bypass it (e.g. by buying splitter), but currently there should be no need for that.

arcadesfan likes this.
  10. 5,910
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Works fine the reason they get black screen is because the video settings need to be reset and calibrated for some monitors. Say the system is setup for 720p but not 1080p. Upon plugging in the monitor it gets a black screen. Simply press and hold the power as I said if this happens till you hear two quick beeps it resets the video and you can set it up and works just fine.

arcadesfan likes this.
  11. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Thanks a lot to all for your help, now it is more clear for me.

12. 167
    remlei

remlei Member

yep it should work fine, I have a monitor with a single HDMI port, I used a hdmi switch for that purpose and have it connected to multiple sources which all varieties of game console and a PC of course. luckily my monitor have a audio out at the back of the monitor (and a speaker but i dont use that), so that a lot convenient.

if for some reason that your monitor doesnt have a HDMI port and only have VGA port, then you can just buy a HDMI to VGA adapter, they are very cheap and can be used on Nintendo Switch, PS3 and PS4.

Its proabably much better to play games on a desktop monitor since it doesnt introduce any extra pre-processing that causes lag input, modern tv are very notorious on this one, some of them doesnt even have option to disable the pre-processing of the image.