Controller connection problems with latest HFW

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by SteveGW, Nov 27, 2019.

1. 177
    SteveGW

SteveGW Member

Anyone else have controller disconnect issues with latest HFW and last version.?

Console starts with controller, on successful boot controller disconnects with flashing lights and requires cable connected to USB to get connected again.
    I've 3 different controllers, all genuine, same issue with all.

I've found a work around, reset controller via small pinhole on underside near trigger.
    Restart console, connect USB, controller is inialised. Then press PS button and turn controller off. Disconnect USB cable. Press PS button, controller is on and connects. Switch off console and then restart, controller seems to stay connected.

So far this method seems to cure disconnect issues.

On official firmware, I don't see this problem.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  2. 331
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I started having basically the same problems with my controller a few months ago. It's one of the DS3 copies unfortunately, thought that was the reason. Mine will sometimes just straight up not connect, pushing the PS button causes the lights on the controller to flash once and stop. Hitting the reset pin doesn't solve it. Sometimes it has a mind of its own and suddenly starts working, but it will lose sync / connection after around 5 - 15 minutes of gaming, then it will go back to doing the thing where the lights will flash once and then nothing else happens.

(thing is, this controller was working wireless for about a month after installing HEN / HFW, then one day I enabled HEN, system froze / crashed, and this problem with my controller was born..)

I've just been leaving it plugged in, inconvenient but works. I'll also add that the problem occurs with or without HEN // HAN enabled. I have another controller with a USB dongle, that one hasn't given me any problems "yet". Honestly don't use it much since it needs AAA batteries.

Think this is a relatively common problem though, have read about this kinda thing occurring to a few different people. No solution / understanding was ever reached. Since you have a genuine controller and this is still happening, makes it hard to pinpoint exactly why it happens. Maybe a dev somewhere out there has an idea.

SteveGW likes this.
  3. 331
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Small bump. Not trying to hijack the thread here but last night both my controller with the dongle and the BT one stopped working while in the middle of gameplay. No idea why but I'm like 99% sure it isn't either controllers fault at this point since the one with the dongle never gave me any problems before. There's an LED that flashes on this dongle, it completely died. Tried plugging the other controller back in, not working at all there either. Restarted the system and that didn't solve it. What did solve it was unplugging the power completely for a good 10 seconds, then plugging back in the power and plugging one of the other controllers. Very strange, there's some other people out there with controller problems too with reports dating back to around the time HEN / HFW gained popularity.

4. 34
    ElGris

ElGris Member

Check how is doing your PS3 wifi. It must be the BT/WIFI module that's "starting to die", because in 4xxx models consoles even die for no reason because of this, not that the console is dead forever, but just that module gave up and creates a big ass short on the system. You should first try reinstalling the FW.

5. 331
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I reinstalled the HFW once a few months ago to see if that helped and it didn't. BT and WiFi works as good as it always has far as I can tell. I think I might have solved part of it though, at least in reference to my last post. Not an actual solution but some strange electrical issue or something beyond me is going on with the power outlet I have my surge protector and fan and everything else connected to. When my fan is oscillating, weird shit happens lol..

Otherwise the controller with said problems works fine now since I removed the battery, keeping it plugged in all is good. The whole situation here with the controller being plugged in and having a strange problem seems to boil down to something completely different. Maybe it's because of the USB extension cable I use.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019 at 3:43 PM