PS3 Controllers' problems

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by Windows10User, Jun 26, 2019.

1. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Since the beginning of this year my controllers are all screwed up. I have two fake DualShock 3 (both bought on the last Summer) and a wired Thrustmaster (which also works with the PS2) controllers. The Thrustmaster (bought some years ago) randomly presses the X button in the XMB (and I have to press the Start button a little hard when playing a game otherwise it won't work [I think I already had this problem before installing CFW for the first time] and after moving the left analog stick the character moves a lot more when comparing with the fake and I guess the genuine DualShock 3 and so it's hard to control it, although the controller might have been built this way) and when playing a game and one of the fake DualShock 3 has the character move to the right and both make the camera rotate. I had different controllers' problems in the recent past (it looks like they keep changing) but now I have these ones. I also have the Thrustmaster problems on the PS2 and the fake DualShock 3 ones regardless if I play with the cable (I even changed it and I still have the problems) or not. I tried a working DualShock 3 lent from a friend and I still had the problems. Plus, my friend didn't have the problems I'm having with my controllers in his PS3 after I borrowed him my controllers.

This started some time after installing CFW (although the controllers' problems were different back then) for the first time back in August and I even formatted the PS3 afterwards (and restaured the defaults setting, which AFAIK formatted the PS3 again) and installed OFW and I still had the problem. I'm on CFW again and I still have these problems. It's so frustrating since I can't play a game in normal conditions.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I bought an used controller (I think it's this one). I didn't care for the brand/model, I just picked it. So far it's working well but the other ones were too before starting to have problems some weeks/months after. Also, I don't know what's going on but my left thumb is slipping when playing no matter which controller I use (different left analogs). Maybe it's my finger's fault! Lol

3. 7,066
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

4. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

5. 7,066
    sandungas

...what about checking your controller problems with it ?

6. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

You mean, the ones which have problems? I already used other tools and IIRC no problems were detected and one of the 3 wasn't even detected by ScpToolkit. What about the left thumb slipping of the left analog regardless the controller I use (different ones including this one which despite being used doesn't have the other controllers' problems for now)? This didn't happen before.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  7. 7,066
    sandungas

Initially seems imposible the software could cause any of the problems you mentioned... unless you are using something like the PSXpad plugin
    But you also said your controllers works fine in other PS3 of a friend, so it looks like a road end
    The only thing i can deduce is something of what you said is wrong

8. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

No, I'm not using it. What do you mean? Which software, ScpToolkit? I only installed and tried it because the controllers were messed up in the first place so that doesn't make any sense. I didn't try PS3 GamePad Test.

Actually, after using ScpToolkit one of the fake DualShock 3 started working fine before becoming messed up again but I'm not sure if it was temporarily fixed because Windows installed its driver after connection the controller to the PC, because ScpToolkit installed the driver regarding the controller afterwards or finally because I uninstalled the controllers' drivers (the driver that Windows installs after connecting the controller to the PC and the driver ScpToolkit installs regarding the controller) via Device Manager.

EDIT: Now I'm not sure if ScpToolkit also detected my Thrustmaster and it also started working fine after doing what I mentioned early before becoming messed up again.

9. 7,066
    sandungas

I meant the software running in the PS3... a.k.a. the PS3 firmware... or any other program/game running in the PS3

The only exception are the plugins, like webman, psxpad, etc.... because are running in the background and have functions intended to "capture" dualshock 3 inputs

10. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Well, like I said, I formatted my PS3 and installed OFW and afterwards CFW again. Maybe the BT module is messed up or I had an insane amount of bad luck with the controllers messing up all at the same time, I don't know.

11. 7,066
    sandungas

If the controllers was not working fine in OFW thats a proof that the software running in the PS3 is not the cause of the problem
    In other words... it seems to be hardware

12. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Well, but it started not working fine after installing CFW for the first time...

13. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Now I'm having the right analog stick moving by itself problem on this used controller, the PS3 shut itself off without warning, the games are slow (maybe because they're being run from an external HDD), the PS3 froze when playing some games so I had to shut it off (without having to take its cable), on another occasion the PS3 froze when playing a game and I had to take its cable to shut it off and the PS3 stopped reading any Blu-Ray discs.

14. 12,892
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

if your system has that many problems, I'd just pitch it, and buy a new one. ps3s are cheap enough now that it might cost you the same to repair a unit as getting a new system. this is especially true now that hen exists and any system is exploitable.

15. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Do you think some of the problems may be related with the external HDD? If so, fixing the PS3 or getting a new one shouldn't fix them.

16. 12,892
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

slowness and freezing, yes, but I don't know about bluray discs no longer working. that would be pretty weird if it's related. why don't you run some tests without the hdd to see if these things happen still?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  17. 376
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I want to preserve the PS3's internal HDD and according to what I've read it's normal for the games to be a little slow when being play from an external HDD so even if I use a new one I guess they'll still be slow. Those two problems you mention were the ones I was thinking that may be related with the external HDD but at the same time is it possible the PS3 is freezing when playing a game from the external HDD thanks to its internal HDD and not the external one? Well, I can't run them since it no longer runs Blu-ray discs but I don't think it happened in the past (maybe it froze at one time or another). Anyway, I tested the external HDD like I said here.

EDIT: I've not been having the PS3 freezing and shutting itself off problems but it looks like the games are still a little slow. Also, I only had the controller problem once or twice and some time ago.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020