Cooling fan options

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by TinyInkognegroT, May 21, 2019.

1. 26
    Desmo

Desmo PSX-Place Supporter

When I bought mine, I put it in my suitcase and took it back home with me. I kept the receipt in case customs would make a fuss.

If you do find a seller who is willing to ship one you're looking at about 50-70 dollars or euros.

2. 152
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

Update : Bought and new fan and waiting for it to come in the mail.

3. 152
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

I think syscon is fried...I ordered a fan and it didn't work. I assumed it was silent and attempted to open multiman fan control, but the system overheated and shut off...

Now when i power it on, the screen stays black and nothing more. At first it would slowly load from incorrectly powering it off and restoring the system data on HDD to XMB, but now it doesnt do anything but the black screen. It doesn't flash the yellow light, but it did once when it overheated and powered off. Should I reflow the grapics card or maybe i didn't connect something right putting it back together ?

4. 152
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

Sorry for the late reply guys, but i literally tried the new fan last night, on top of other lifes problems being thrown my way...missed you guys

5. 1,079
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

at this point anything you do it won't make it worse anyway,so proceed on doing what you think is the best as you won't listen to us anyway.good luck and safe trip.

TinyInkognegroT likes this.
  6. 152
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

I don't know exactly what your getting at but I was told to buy a working fan to diagnose the syscon chip if it didn't work and that's exactly what I did... Its ok to ask questions in detail so that way I have a better understanding of exactly what's going on and people make mistakes, my title says "noob" for a reason. I'm sorry if my work and responses wasn't good or quick enough for you, but the negative comments can stay to yourself. Just because you give up doesn't mean others will. I appreciate your help.

7. 1,079
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

nobody told you to get a new fan.being a 'noob' doesn't guard you from any and all of critique,if you can't handle it it's probably better to stay away from the internet.

8. 152
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

Lol actually YOU did...I asked how to test the syscon without the complicated things that required the things you mentioned I didn't have, yet alone afford them. Your reply was "with a working fan" (2nd page of this thread)...now I already mentioned I unmodded the fan wire mod and it didn't work. I received this system with the fan not working in the first place so to assume it works is stupid, so I bought a "tested and working" one. Noob is as it says, ive taken apart consoles and all kinds of electronics but I don't know it all...which is why I'm here getting help and better understanding with what I don't know. You sir are a total hater, and like I said, just because you walk from this doesn't mean others will. Eventually I'll get the help I'm looking for and need, with or without you. Lol criticism doesn't run me off. Not only do i need to know repairs but also why they're needed...common sense. Again, thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. 1,079
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

no i did not.i said on multiple occasions not to do anything other than get proper professional to at least diagnose the issues,and i've said again multiple times specifically not to buy the fan at least before you got that whole system checked out.

10. 4,617
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I guess the repeated overheats cracked a solder ball under CELL or RSX... in this case a reflow could help to diagnose the problem, but is not a serious repair, eventually it will happen again

There is another theory that says the microsolders in between the silicon and fiberglass in CELL/RSX eventually breaks... this cant be repaired

And something unfrequent... is when you assemble all the parts of the PS3, that "metal shields" that covers the motherboard are tricky to assemble... if you do it wrong the metal could touch the circuits and this creates a short and the PS3 refuses to boot. The motherboard is not damaged when this happens, is just the PS3 refuses to boot. But i guess this is not what is happening to you because you was able to boot it with the parts assembled in the way you have now

11. 4,617
    sandungas

Btw @TinyInkognegroT another thing you can do to find if there is a solder ball broken under CELL/RSX is to increase the bending of the metal clamps (that holds the heatsink from the back with big bolts)

By doing that you are increasing the pressure on the CELL/RSX solder balls (and incase there is one or more with a fracture, deformed, etc...) that pressure could help the electrons to make the "jump" over the fractured solder ball
    Electrically could work... but is the kind of thing unestable that could creattle ripples and interferences... so it could happen that PS3 boots into XMB but there are video "artifacts" in screen, or the PS3 boots when is hot but eventually crashes

The goal is to have a confirmation that bending the CELL/RSX clamps allows your PS3 to boot (at least partially)... in this case is a proof that the problem is under CELL/RSX

12. 1,159
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    But did you asked him, does it have a HDD activity or DS3 sync? :D

Please,no more Solder-Balls fiasco,everytime someone mentions Solder-Balls,i enter a NEC/TOKIN midlife crisis :D:-p

By the way, the CELL/RSX microsolders its called the Underfill,and yes excessive overheating damages the underfill, but thats only on Nvidia Chips, AMD had a BGA issue on theyre chips, thats why Reballing works on the 360,but it doesnt last on the PS3, i dont think the CELL its the one to blame here,remember Nvidia had shady chips in 2005,so the RSX its no different.

But before,you jump the BGA Gun,try reflowing the board,its a temporary method for diagnostics,and will determine the best course of action, if the machine boots with the Reflow,then yes i would point my sights to the RSX,and a replacement is advised,but try reflowing ONLY THE RSX! @TinyInkognegroT

BGA-Design.gif

13. 4,617
    sandungas

Yep, some of your favorites myths, related with microsolders and tokins :D
    In this case the actual problem has been caused by an overheat
    Actually... repeated overheats, he was doing some tests time ago connecting and disconnecting the fan and cutting the wires of it while the PS3 was working
    I have lot of caution with that... i never turn on a motherboard without heatsink + fan in his place... CELL and RSX heats up very very fast

1 minute without heatsink and/or fan is enought to push CELL/RSX over 90ºC

I guess he was at that point several times... so eventually something went fryed or melted
    Could be the BGA balls... or a microsolder... or dunno, is also posible the motherboard was bent (deformed by the overheats and the forces generated by the heatsink assembly) and a copper trace in the internal layers of the motherboard was broken

14. 1,159
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I only dont believe its a BGA issue,because the aloy detaches at 217ºC, 90ºC wont even make a dent,i had a CECHC04 before that did the exact same thing, known as the GLOD, no DS3 sync,no HDD,no picture, froze in the middle of NFS U2 session, forcing to restart the machine,after that never booted up again, before it gave me the issue, the machine suffered an overheated RSX shutdown twice,from a misplaced IHS (noobish move),but i dont think thats what causes the GLOD, my theory points thowards the North Bridge,but,the RSX Undefill its a huge possibility, but only by reflowing each individual chip,we will know for sure, perhaps this will prove useful for diagnoistics and future repair guides!

But from my point of view,my money its on the RSX,its dead.

15. 2,220
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Oh they did have some issue like you say, one of my old laptops from back then had onboard Nvidia Geforce Mobile GPU...... it got that hot the it literally desoldered itself of the the MB.

How did I fix this issue.... I literally glued it back on the MB :-p:D.... it worked again and continued to do so for about a year till the heat fried it to bits. And it didn't help that the laptop itself was dodgey and was pagued with heating issues without this.

Laptop was a HP Pavillion DV6000 series...... never again will I EVER buy and HP product again.

EDIT: If you had the thing on you legs while you where using it the heat from the vent WOULD burn you it was that hot.....

sandungas likes this.
  16. 1,079
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

yeah,that era of HP sadly was really shady one...but recently i had much luck with them,both my spectre and my girl's envy are really fine machines.

17. 1,159
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I feel your pain mate, a mate of mine also had a HP Pavillion, cant recall the model tho,but it was using a Pentium Dual-Core, perhaps a 2008 or 2009 machines,as that chip was pretty common on that timeframe,anyway, one day he was complaining the machine was just simply too hot,and sometimes it froze,after a diagnostic,i found out that the fan was simply not moving at all, so i took the machine apart, gave it a deep clea,repaste the chips and gave some WD40 to the fan, never shoved problems ever since, but by running so hot for so long, maybe 2 months before i got my hands on it, the GPU suffered from scanlines like artifacts, luckly it wasnt too visible,unless you shove your face close to the LCD screen,but it could have been worst, i cant recall if it was an Nvidia or AMD chip,but i think it was an Nvidia,but i was still surprised how the GPU survived 2 months without a fan running :D

18. 2,220
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    The fan worked on mine but all that did was blow the red hot air faster at you, there was a scortche mark on my desk off it, a lovely burn on the top of my thigh , this was though jeans as well.

This was the little b*stard: HP Pavillion DV6636nr

[​IMG]

CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 (Dual core) 1.9Ghz
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 7150M 559MB

The whole Pavillion range back then was plauged with heating issue's, not doubt this contributed to the GPU getting de-soldered off the MB. And I was supprised at howlong the Laptop and the GPU lasted after I soldered and glued it back on so it would never come back off. If just soldered it back on it would of come off again and I wasn't ging to do it a second time so I decided the perminant way was the best...... aka the slow and painful death of of overheating and frying the GPU.......

19. 4,617
    sandungas

You edited the post and i forgot to quote this :)
    I think in them as a technology that is very prone to failure, not related with brands but in general... think in it... there are microscopical "wires" microscopically "soldered" to silicon... is insane they holds for so long and even how technology allows them to "build" that at that size, lol
    Is a critical point for sure... and well... if you are reflowing a chip applying heat at the top... the heat obviouslly needs to "cross" all this microsolders
    Yep, a fast reflow or/and the trick adding pressure in the clamps for a fast test... and incase the PS3 does some positive signal then prepare a big reflow better made with lot of flux, a good preheating, etc... (watch some videos and try to do it the best you can)

The motherboard have the fan control circuit damaged, so is not posible to repair it completly (so no worthy to send it to reballing)
    Apply reflow in vein

20. 152
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

I