Cooling fan options

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by TinyInkognegroT, May 21, 2019.

1. 344
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    what means ps3 super slim shutdown after 5 seconds?
    I think it's YLOD

TinyInkognegroT likes this.
  2. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

Another guy has one untested and "appears to be opened". Hes sending me pics of the motherboard

3. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Analysing all 3 adds, i must say this one feels like a safer bet, the other two the first and the last, i can't describe them, but it feels kind of odd, so i won't advise to pick neither of them.

If this second add, asks for a price that you find it appealing, i think its worth the shot, as long as the console is factory standard issue, and never been touched its green light, although i advise to proceed with caution and at your own risk,but i will help you where i can.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

4. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    No, is not YLOD, YLOD its general hardware failure, upwards the 2100 Model, the YLOD Code, has been sort of removed, i think its a hardware modification that Sony made to these models, although i am not sure, YLOD also happens when the machine its in a overheating state, and displays a warning message, something that is absent from the 2100 Series and upwards.

5. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

what lights come on at start up ? Attempt to boot at all ?

6. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

Even seen a board thats said to have no repairs or reflow done on it

7. 344
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    standby mode red light then turn on green light after 5 seconds no light and then turn on red light again turn on green light after 5 seconds no light and then also turn on red light also again turn on green light after 5 seconds no light.............

8. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

This guy has 2 for $24... Screenshot_2019-06-26-12-15-51.png Screenshot_2019-06-26-12-17-34.png

9. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Hmmmmm.... 12 year old tampering with Consoles it's a recepie to disaster, they tamper with it and follow usless YouTube tutorial made by inexperienced people,so i am sure these Consoles have no fix, and have been reflowed before.

10. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

@Naked_Snake1995 ....no pawn shop near me has this model. Based on what i shared online, whats my best option in ur opinion ?

11. 4,597
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Are thermistors, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor
    This is why are labeled as TH2401 & TH3401 in the motherboard (that "TH" of the name means is a thermistor)
    A thermistor is a resistor sensitive to temperature, it changes his resistance when temperature changes, and is calibrated to a temperature point where the resitance goes to infinite (in other words, it cuts the line)

Technically are working as "rearmable" fuses
    A standard fuse is intended to protect the circuit by burning itself, this way the problem is isolated in a small part of the circuit, but after that the fuse is burned (did his work good, thxbye) and is needed to replace it
    A thermistor does that too, but there is no need to replace it because doesnt burns (theoretically)

The thermistor meassures the temperature of itself... or better said of the voltage line where is located... that temperature increases when there is a shortcut in the circuit or an overvoltage... this is when the resistor heats up and it "cuts" the line

And are very sensitive to temperature, there is an easy trick to see if a thermistor is working fine, you need a multimeter configured to meassure resistance... then touch both sides of the thermistor with the multimeter tips... is going to give you a meassure (based on ambient temperature)

Then place a finger over the thermistor (if you dont have enought hands ask for a familiar to help, lol)
    The goal is to transfer some heat from your body (the finger) to the thermistor... and you will see how the resistance changes :)

zOi likes this.
  12. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    The message from thepawn$hop, seems to corresponde to all the parameters i mentioned before, how much is he charging for the console by the way?

13. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

$38.99 and free shipping. 20 for console 20 for shipping...my last resort so i cant complain right?

14. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Well, 40$, if you would find it localy then it would be cheaper, i am just trying not to encourage people to spend large amounts of money,for something that will or wont work,even with repair, because if something else is damaged,then its all work for nothing.

But if you think its the safest bet,and feel confident that the console is in good condition, by any means go ahead.

Thats why i always cheap out on these Phat Models, even though 94% of them its the NEC/TOKIN capacitors that has gone bad, there its always a good chance something else might be dead as well, you never know for sure, specially these BC Models,since these models are valuable for harvesting parts.

15. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

Yea that's THE ONLY one I can find unopened or tampered with, but with those symptoms should it be an easy fix ?

16. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

Next option I see is one working with 1tb HDD for $225

17. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    If its indeed YLOD and the machine has not been tampered with,then chances are that you can fix it, but all depends on your soldering skills and the ability to work extremly calm and precise, because you will need to take the old capacitors off in order to solder some new one,and i hope you have soldering skills,because you will need them, a lot.

I would also start to order some Tantalum Capacitors if i where you,just so you can have all the necessary tools to work with, you will need 32 Tantalum Capacitors, values of 470uF at 2.5V, although you can buy at 6.3V if you cant find, at 2.5V,i have 6.3V on my CECHC04 and it works great,but we will discuss it down the line,once you get all the necessary tools.

Ever since ive made the Capacitors replacement, i have received to make a detailed guide on how to install them correctly, i couldnt make once,since my schedual was pretty full, with all these projects down my neck, now that i have spear time,ill make that guide, since you have the same problem,as many other PS3 Phat and 2000 Slim users, so i advise you to follow that guide, with the upmost accuracy,ill try my best to simplify it, and not use too much technical language, so it can be straightforward for regular users.

18. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    225$ isnt worth for a machine, that you know it has a defective part from day one, no matter how much you take care of it, these capacitors will fail, luckly its only the Capacitos, Sony would be doomed if the RSX had a high failure rate,since is a Nvidia Chip, and these 2006 7800GTX are shady chips, but like all GPU Chips, regarding the architecture,if you dont take care of it it will fail, so as long as you take care of the chip and keep it under temperature control, you will guarrantee yourself a system for years to last.

19. 150
    TinyInkognegroT

TinyInkognegroT Member

And then theres this Screenshot_2019-06-26-15-32-27.png ...

20. 1,143
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    The not reading discs its even more appealing,since its a fully working board, and youll just have to swap the BD Drives and remarry them, and you are good to go,saving you the hassle and trouble, i say go for the unit that doesnt read discs, since its a A01.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019