PS2 copying wlaunchelf to modded PS2's HDD

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by reyzafany, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

Hello everybody first post here
    So I was playing around with argon to play videos from usb drives and it just show a black screen for a long time, therefore I decided to force shutdown the PS2. Unfortunately, that resulted in my only memory card with FMCB to be corrupted, which means I lost access to wLaunchelf.
    In tackling this problem, my first thought is to copy FMCB installation files to my modded PS2's HDD directly through PC, then using the modded ps2 to run the boot.elf in order to install new FMCB or even FHDB boot file.
    My second thought is to clean install a hdd-osd using winhiip and an img containing latest ps2 browser and fmcb noobie package to my ps2 but I'm still not sure about it.
    In the end I'm still shocked by this turn of events and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make my ps2 boot from freemcboot again. It still can play games using HDloader but it's not good enough for me.

2. 173
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

Welcome to PSX-Place.

You can try this.
    Put BOOT.ELF on the root of your USB and also put BOOT.ELF in a folder named BOOT on the root of your USB.

E.g.
    X:/BOOT.ELF
    X:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF

Hold R1 and boot the console.

reyzafany and krHACKen like this.
  3. 54
    krHACKen

krHACKen Developer

WinHIIP cannot install the HDDOSD. The HDDOSD can be raw-written to the HDD (same for FHDB), but anyway that is not the proper way to install it and you'll end up with a broken geometry.

Please follow Tupakaveli's instructions. If it didn't work, come back to us, and we'll make your HDD temporarily bootable to wLE, so you could [format the HDD if needed and] launch the FMCBInstaller, in order to perform a clean FMCB/FHDB installation.

Tupakaveli likes this.
  4. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

5. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

Hello again, unfortunately the steps mentioned above doesn't work and the PS2 keeps booting to the PS2 browser. Should I just do these steps (?) :
    1. Disregard my installed games, proceed to raw-write FHDB 1.93
    2. Install latest FMCB to memory cards.
    3. Performs zero-fill to HDD using HDDChecker.
    4. Lastly decide to either install latest FHDB or HDD-OSD? Or maybe both?

6. 173
    Tupakaveli

Use HDD Raw Copy Tool to write a FHDB image to the HDD just so you can boot LaunchELF.

Boot the FMCB Installer and make a new card. It's good to make an extra one as a backup for situations like this.

Format the HDD with the HDD Manager in LaunchELF. I don't think it's necessary to zero-fill it but you can if you want to.

atreyu187 and reyzafany like this.
  7. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

In this case I do not need to format using winhiip into ps2 format drive? And should I use the drive OPL style or use HDD-OSD? Which format is better in your opinion?

8. 173
    Tupakaveli

If you format the HDD with LaunchELF then you won't need to format it with WinHIIP.

It's personal preference but I use OPL to have nice artwork and themes.

If you want to install HDD-OSD I know kHn posted a link to SUDC4 on Assembler games, that's where I got it from. It's still up for now lol.

9. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

The HDD has been formatted using winhiip not wlaunchelf if I remember correctly. I guess I'll go "quick and dirty" using HDD Raw copy to install fhdb 1.966, if it doesn't work maybe I should format the whole thing using winhiip hahaha.
    Looking at the screen shots in the internet it seems HDD-OSD interface is too intimidating to users that didn't know anything about mod so I guess I'll use opl this time. Thanks a lot for your help @Tupavakeli I'll get back here if it's done or if I actually messed up again hahaha.

10. 173
    Tupakaveli

You should only do that temporarily so that you can boot homebrew. If you want to use FHDB you should install it properly with the FMCB/FHDB installer.

krHACKen likes this.
  11. 1,201
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Since If you've got modchip you can also wrote uLaunchELF onto CD or DVD if R1 at boot is not working.
    Here you can find these images:
    https://www.psx-place.com/resources/fmcb-fhdb-noobie-package.721/ (uLe to be burn**) tab.
    Copy noobie package, with whatever version (V1\V4) you like on USB and launch installer.

Noobie package can be installed into memory card and\or PS2 HDD.

If something might be wrong with your memory card, you can format it in FMCB installer (press R1 twice),
    look for format MC.
    If you've got something important on that MC, copy its content onto USB device using u\wLe.

BTW I do not remember how WinHIIP handles larger HDD (more than 1 TB),
    so you should try it to format it in wLe -> MISC -> HDD manager -> R1 -> Format.
    Also WinHIIP have a problem when you want to install more than 256 games...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:43 AM
    Tupakaveli likes this.
  12. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

Hello so in the end I decided to just use my spare Samsung 40GB IDE drive to act as temporary FHDB. I managed to format using winhiip on 28bit loader and full format option then proceeded to use HDD RAW Copy to burn FHDB v. 1.966 (http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7132). Problem is when I try to boot the PS2 with my spare HDD freehdboot doesn't display anything except for a black screen. Should I Just use my primary ps2 drive and install the FHDB image on it?

My PS2 do not have working DVD Drive.

13. 1,201
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I don't have much experience with HDD RAW Copy images, but...

Theoretically you can also try this version:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/unofficial-fhdb-1-93-noobie-package-obt-119562/.
    It's noobie package with FHDB 1.93, so it's quite old, but at least it may worth to try it.

When everything will be fine, just update it into newest 1.966:
    https://sites.google.com/view/ysai187/home/projects/fmcbfhdb?authuser=0#h.p_e31_CKrrgS5f.

After entering w\uLe you can also try to format HDD in this tool, then install FHDB...

BTW did you also tried to format your HDD into 48bit HDLoader?
    I know it'll do not give any advantage for 40 GB HDD, but...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 4:10 AM
    Algol likes this.
  14. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

I think I forgot to scan/repair my ps2 drive using winhii after using hdd raw copy tool. Will try doing that first

15. 173
    Tupakaveli

FMCB/FHDB v1.966 doesn't like modchips.

You can try disabling the modchip or do what I do... I have a Modbo 5.0 in my console and I realised that if I set the Auto E1 Launch Key to boot LaunchELF or something to bypass the OSDSYS it works fine without having to disable it.

Try holding start when you see the FMCB logo to get to the FMCB Configurator.

Algol, krHACKen and jolek like this.
  16. 787
    TnA

TnA Member

An alternative for some modchips seems to be, to start FMCB via DEV.1!

(Essentially placing OSDSYS-Launcher as BOOT/BOOT.ELF, which is basically the method to start it on 90k's with modchips!)

17. 54
    krHACKen

krHACKen Developer

Ultimately, if you don't have a modchip, swap disc, and still cannot get the FMCB installer to run, please try the steps from the attached stuff.7z.

Also, a sidenote regarding SUDC4. Do not use the drive optimization and repair functions of the HDD Utility Disc with a HDD that contains HDL partitions.

Attached Files:

• stuff.7z
      File size:
      432.1 KB
      Views:
    Algol, TnA and Tupakaveli like this.
  18. 173
    Tupakaveli

Curious, what happens if you do use the optimization function?
    Does the same thing happen with HDD Checker?

Maybe it's a coincidence but I had a problem with my HDD after I used the optimize disk function in HDD Checker.

19. 680
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    You will break those games. Rightfully, the file systems should not store the absolute LBAs of any data, but the HDL format does that. Since the Sony tools do not know about this, optimizing a disk with such partitions will ruin the games if the partitions are relocated.

If you have such a need, use HDDChecker instead. The hdsk module was cloned from the HDD Utility Disc, but with modifications to update the HDL partitions if/when they are relocated.

I think there should be no problems with using the scan and repair functionality of the Sony HDD Utility Disc, but it does not work well with crosslinked partitions. There is functionality for detecting crosslinked partitions implemented in HDDChecker's hdck module.

Algol, TnA, jolek and 1 other person like this.
  20. 11
    reyzafany

reyzafany Forum Noob

I'm so sorry only able to check and respond to this communities insightful comments this late, life had me at it's grasp...
    Anyway 2 days ago I tried using FHDB 1.966 again to flash onn my Samsung 40GB drive, then after that using WinHiip I Scanned and Repaired the PS2 Drive, then too make sure my _boot partition has the required boot.elf I decided to mount my PS2 HDD on PS2PFSExplorer in which I found it strage for the _boot partition didn't have any boot.elf, so I just added a latest wlaunchelf on that partition and renamed it to boot.elf and all that effort still gives me black screen after the Matrix logo... I also tried @Tupavakeli suggestion to turn off the Matrix Modchip but the result is the same. Should I just give up and buy a new FreeMCBoot after all? *sigh

That's what I have been doing before my only working FreeMCBoot memory stick corrupted, should have installed FHDB in the first place...

Wow! This looks promising in my current state of affair! I'll definitely try this on weekend, thank you for your effort!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 2:11 PM