PS3 Corrupted Harddrive

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by seppdroid, May 22, 2020.

1. 4
    seppdroid

seppdroid Forum Noob

Business owner & Head of inspection eyelids B)
    Home Page:
    PSX place,

I'm having a little problem, and i need some help understanding.

I have a PS3 Slim that has a 1TB HDD and the disc drive was going out.
    some games that where showing artifacts like this:

So i bought a sealed super slim plus a new 1TB HDD. So i was getting ready for the system transfer.
    And when doing so i always rebuild the database and restore the file-system to get it in its optimal condition.
    (I found out by surprise that this speeds up the transfer process years ago)

Well i regret that decision now...

For some reason it decided to fault, and it always faults at 28 per cent. I got the hard-drive checked at a friend of mine who specializes in hard drives and told me that the hard-drive was in tiptop condition... only about 1.5k power-on hours. well just to be on the safe side i made a sector by sector copy of the drive, which in the console acts exactly the same. faults at 28 per cent and wants me to reformat it.

POST: i don't know what my elgato did to my video. i guess it didn't like the start in low definition vs the high definition...

once the resolution is set it gets to the PS3 logo's boot screen before the corruption message comes:

Now safe mode is even worse... yes i can still access it but.

Option 1 for restarting the console completely freezes the console and stays this way until you turn it off with the button (i waited for 3 hours to see if it changed)
    Option 2 is the one i haven't done yet, i don't expect that to work or change something.
    Option 3 & 4 stay on preparing please wait... (waited 18 hours for that to work but nothing happened so i had to sadly turn it off again...)
    Option 4 is a no-go
    Option 6 freezes the console just like option 1...

When i tried option 3 and 4 the HDD access light wasn't being lit. I thought that was weird.

I did manage to copy all data off the HDD by grabbing the original 320gb HDD and jailbreaking it with the genius tools ps3xploit made. And retrieving the EID ROOT KEY. I got lucky i had the older 2x model slim that was on the JBreakable list.
    ( i remember years ago when jailbreaking my old phat i needed a hardware flasher to downgrade, how times have changed :), was fun soldering all the cables to the testpoints tho. )
    So my savadata is safe, but i really don't feel like downloading my 150+ psn games from the store. (im sorry for spending so much money on games...)

Is there anyone with a good idea? I mean my brain isn't that big so your ideas might save my gamedata :)
    And my second question is: Are there known problems with 1TB HDD's and PS3's?

I'm always careful with my consoles. I clean them, fix them, provide them with maintenance, gracefully turn them off, replace thermal compound etc.

Thank you,
    Seppdroid

2. 2,976
    Berion

Berion Developer

First video point to RSX problems (if yes then YLOD is coming). Or HDMI problems.

3. 467
    haxxxen

haxxxen Developer

how did you do the system transfer? have you cloned the old hdd? if so, then thats the problem

I had this problem with a 1tb hdd when I have used my first and original xreg. only starting from scratch with empty hdd worked and after this I never had any problems with this hdd even after a systemstorage scan

btw, this debug option does also clone the old hdd to a new one, but you cannot repair the fat of disc after this and disc gets corrupted

Algol likes this.
  4. 1,304
    Coro

Coro Moderator

if you got ALL the data off of hdd with eid rootkey then you should have the dev_hdd0\game folder. all the psn games are under that folder (its the data that was downloaded and installed). you will have to rebuild database after getting the files onto new drive. but you will also need to put your psn account on the new ps3 and reactivate the games (there are different ways to do it and you many need rif files from hdd too).

ftping that much data is gonna take a while (if it stays connected that long). if you copied the files to usb drive just plug it into ps3 and use multiman/irisman file manager to copy over.

5. 4
    seppdroid

seppdroid Forum Noob

Home Page:
    Thanks for the comments!

Oh, i tested games from blue ray and they show these artifacts. Psn store games (downloaded to the HDD) don't artifact as bad. But the system has been acting up a bit so there is a good reason it might indeed be a hardware problem...

I'm sorry for overflowing with information let me make an array:

My jailbroken ps3 phat is out the picture, retired years ago and now used as a video media system.

My main ps3 slim has a 1tb harddrive that corrupted after a database & file system restore.

The idea was that i would buy a new ps3 super slim with a new 1tb hdd. this was so i was able to use the system transfer option in the OFW menu. That because i didn't trust my slim anymore with these weird artifacts. i didnt feel like replacing the laser on the ps3 because i remember how much time it took to replace one in my wii u...

Transferring via OFW system transfer cant be done anymore of course. Because of my super smart idea for getting the console in optimal condition...

the original plan was:

(untrusted) slim 1tb > (trusted/new) superslim 1tb via an ethernet cable.

--------

So after the HDD corrupting i made a sector by sector copy of the 1tb (corrupted) drive to another spare 1TB HDD to make sure i had a backup for when i fck something up with the main HDD. As far as today nothing worked of course.

then i grabbed a 320gb spare drive and went through the jail-breaking process to extract the EID ROOT KEY and read the contents of the 1tb corrupted HDD.

[​IMG]

i hope i made it a bit more clear what i did, i appreciate the time guys!

Ah interesting... I tried this right after with some gamedata that stores savedata so i wouldnt lose that. When i copied it it didnt show up, restarted and still nothing. Stupid me for not rebuilding the database..
    Thanks for the tip :)

It's so frustrating that i don't know allot about the Playstation 3 and it's filesystem. I can get around fixing allot of stuff and performing basic data recovery. But the PS3 doesn't give me any hints of what might be wrong, just an "oops error". I was hoping to see some logs in the crash_report folder but nope.

My last question:
    Is it normal for Safe Mode to act up when the drive is in its "corrupted restore mode"?
    Sorry for asking so much questions, i have already accepted the fate that ill have to reinstall all my games. At least i have the most recent backup of my savedata.
    Thanks again for your help and time :). it's really appreciated.

6. 4
    seppdroid

seppdroid Forum Noob

Home Page:
    I cant seem to find the edit button, is that because my message is awaiting moderator approval?
    i hate to double post...

Well anyways rebuilding database made everything show up! ofcourse those where the empty folders so they show as corrupted, because it wouldnt fit on a 320gb drive. But i will now copy the 800gigs of gamedata over to a 1tb cfw drive.

is it then possible to transfer system to the OFW superslim without issues? i will ofcourse delete the toolbox and multiman. or should i use the update function in savemode first to go back to OFW?

or shouldn't i be taking any chances and start from scratch? i don't feel like making the 2020 experience any worse by getting banned from PSN...