PS3 CPU Overheating Problem

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by KimozZ, Jun 15, 2018.

1. 3
    KimozZ

KimozZ Forum Noob

I have a problem with my Slim 2503B.
    Basically, according to Rebug Toolbox and MultiMan, the gap between the RSX and CPU temps is worrying, when I start the PS3 up and immediately launch MultiMan or Rebug Toolbox, the RSX temp. rises from 39 C to 51 C, but the CPU's is worrying, it rises from 61 C to 76-79 C range, and once bumped up to 81 C but gradually dropped back to 78 C. Sometimes while I'm playing fairly demanding games, the PS3 notifies me that it's overheating, and other times I can play for hours straight, and the temp. after the session is 74 C (CPU) and 59 C (RSX)
    Obviously I did some research, yet I'm still not certain of what to do. Some people reported the same problem, but the answers were varied; some people responded by saying that the thermal paste under the IHS of the CPU needs to be replaced, but it's a delicate operation and chances of damaging the PS3 beyond repair are high and that it takes an experienced professional. However, some people said that the solder joints under the CPU were faulty, and needed a reball. Now I'm confused as to what to do, I kept hearing that reballs aren't worth it and that getting a new PS3 is cheaper. I currently don't know of any repairmen who can do reballs or at least replace the thermal paste.

In short: I just want to know exactly what the problem is, and if getting a new PS3 is a viable option.
    The cheapest PS3s around in my country cost 2500 EGP (approximately 140 USD or 120.5 Euros).
    I'd highly appreciate a solid answer that can confirm one of my suspicions and help me reach a resolution.
    If you need more information then I'm ready to do so, thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    KimozZ.

2. 2,020
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    My son, you know what pisses me off the most in my life!? People whom blame the damn solder balls to be the issue.

Reballing wont do you [email protected], there are cases when Reballing is needed to rejoin a replacement chip, but never a dead chip, in this case an RSX.

By heating the chip with Reballing, you are basicly fixing the little contacts inside the chip, but the chip itself is already dead, is just a matter of time till the PS3 dies again, besides PS3s where designer poorly, every models will eventually break, even different revisions of the CELL B.E or RSX.

But answering to your question, i had a 2504B (Europe), same as yours mate, the best thing is since you have CFW, is to install Webman or SMan , and bump the fan to 35/40%. I did that when i had mine, and my temps where pretty normal, below 60º on both the RSX and CELL. But your main concern is the RSX, not the CELL, do not worry about the CELL mate, that Chip can is designed with hot temperatures in mind, but the RSX is the main concern.

About the IHS Removal on your SLIM, one word, DONT or DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, ill explain why, on the Phats and on the 2000 Series, the RSX is 65nm, which you can remove the IHS pretty easily, since it has a clearence to rermove the IHS, but on the 2500 i never botherd to remove it, since is runs fairly cool, as long as the temps are within the nominal range, but you can always remove the IHS, but only for the RSX...

PS: and always clean your console, i mean deep cleaning if is dirty, and full of dust, and always replace with a reliable thermal paste, spread it even across the chips, and put a pea-dot size in the middle, and when spreading the paste,apply a thin even layer, never too much, it will do more harm than good.

Hope it helps ;)

KimozZ likes this.
  3. 3
    KimozZ

KimozZ Forum Noob

The fan sounds like a jet engine soon after the rising, but I think it's system controlled. I'll try Webman, but I'd like to know in advance how better is Webman's fan than SYSCON?
    I see, I have some security screwdrivers and MX-4 on the way, I'll try doing what you said as soon as they arrive :)

4. 2,020
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Never rely on Sysfan (System Fan Controler), Sony where such [email protected], they prioritised low sound acustics, over proper cooling, in some scenarios, the fan may be running at a lower speed, but the system itself is cooking to death ;)

KimozZ likes this.
  5. 13,036
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

well, to be fair, microsoft did the same thing with the 360. that's why I like the less powerful Nintendo systems. what's sad is that M$ thought they needed water cooling for the xbox 1 x. when systems need that just to stay cool, we've got a problem.

KimozZ likes this.
  6. 7,545
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Usually the overheating problems appears in one of them, either CELL or RSX... but not in both
    If it happens on both is because is caused by something that affects both... such a very old and degraded thermal paste... or the heatsink metal block loose... or things like that

And in that conditions with temperatures over 75ºC the test comparing the difference of temperatures in between CELL and RSX is a bit pointless... that difference of temperatures is not going to give you much info about what is happening because you are in a temperature range that is over the normal "working temperatures"

What you should do is replace the thermal paste on top of the IHS... and take a good look at how all the pieces are assembled with the others (specially the heatsink)... and the heatsink clamps (at the back of the heatsink) that are the responsibles of the pressure in between heatsink and CELL/RSX

----------
    The story about BGA solder balls causing overheating is a false myth
    The solder balls doesnt makes anything, lol... are just passive
    In the worst scenario posible, with one or several broken BGA solder balls what happens is the electricity needs to make a "jump" to travel along the "fracture" gap of the broken BGA solder ball... and this causes an electrical "spark"
    And the sparks generates heat, but this amount of heat is ridiculously small, all this happens at microscopy sizes so the sparks are not even visibles to human eye

Aditionally... that sparks causes oxidation and creates a black substance (by degrading the solder ball material) so the electrical conection degrades exponentially... the most time it pases the worst
    A console like that is not going to be alive for much time... is going to die soon and in the meantime you are going to see lot of graphical glitches and crashes

In few words... if your PS3 is overheating latelly but is still alive, then it means the BGA solder balls are fine (by now)

KimozZ likes this.
  7. 3
    KimozZ

KimozZ Forum Noob

Thanks for the valuable explanation, the ps3 once froze during a game but I'm positive it was the game's fault, since I was able to play other games without freezes or any issues.
    Do you mean that I should check if they're properly attached?

Anyway, thanks for all of your answers and suggestions, I'm currently away for at least 4 days, I'll report back with results when I'm back

8. 648
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

It's liquid cooled by a vaper chamber.

pinky and DeViL303 like this.
  9. 7,545
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Yes, sometimes that metal "interference shields" that covers the motherboard like a sandwich are wrong mounted
    Not sure if you or other people opened it (maybe the previous owner)
    That metal shields has some "clips" at the back (aligned with the connectors), first you need to attach that side... and them you close the metal shields like a book

Other thing you need to check is the heatsink metal block itself... note one of the metal blocks is mobile (and the other is not)
    The one that is mobile needs to be able to move some milimeters up and down freely... if for some reason is stucked it will not make good contact

Anyway... all this things can be "meassured" indirectly by using a trick (where you are going to waste some thermal paste, for science)
    First you need to dissasemble it, and spread a very thin and very plane layer of thermal paste on CELL and RSX, and a "rice grain" of thermal paste on the middle of them
    Then assemble it, the metal shields, the heatsink with the big black bolts at the back and the clamps that holds the heatsink
    And them... dissasemble it again
    And look at the surface of the thermal paste

The thermal paste needs to have some "mountains" (or peaks) that indicates it was touching the heatsink surface
    Included the corners of CELL and RSX... if you dont have any mark (mountains or peaks) on the corners is because was not touching well

You can repeat this process a couple of times recycling the same thermal paste... and bending the metal clamp at the back, that metal clamp/plate at the back is the responsible of the pressure... the most bended = more pressure

And when you are ready... clean the thermal paste, add new one and asemble it

10. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

Hello All,

I have downloaded the latest multiMan, it doesn't appear to have CPU temp monitor on it.

Can anyone tell me what version i need or can i add it into Multiman?

Or is there a separate .pkg i can install.

11. 7,868
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Checking temperatures in multiman is basically useless. In some views is lighter for RSX than XMB.

12. 13,036
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

temps in mm show up near the top of the screen every few seconds. watch for it. you can also change from C to F in settings.

13. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

What can you recommend? is there something i can install that will toggle in game temps being displayed or not?

Thanks for that, given i am based in the west of Ireland, Centigrade is what makes most sense to me, we fluctuate wildly in temperature here from 5'c right up to 15'c annually!! :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  14. 7,868
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    webMAN, webMAN MOD, or sMAN are closest to show in game temperatures. You just need to go into "in game XMB", and push required combo.

15. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

Thanks for reply, i will try it out tonight.

16. 46
    JohnDhoe

JohnDhoe Forum Noob

i set WebMan manual fanspeed at 33% and 37% for ps2 games: Always granting me that O.K temperature of between 55-62C.

17. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

Hello All,

I have a few issues,

I attempted to install webmanMOD on my CFW machine, the CFW I have on it is ‘Overflow 4.82 NoBD’, I discovered that I cannot install on non Cobra CFW.

I researched it and then found out I can use PRX loader, ‘MAMBA’, I installed this and still no success.

I then installed standalone ‘PS3 Fan utility’, which allows me to set the fan speed manually, which was needed as Multiman was showing CPU temperature of 80’c without game being played.

Is there a PKG I can install that monitors the temp and shows it in game? I tried installing ‘Playmanager 1.11’ but it didn’t install for me when I executed the PKG.

Anything you can recommend for in game temperature monitoring on CFW Overflow 4.82 NoBD?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018