PS3 Create_PS3_Extra issue

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Spawn, May 23, 2020.

1. 634
    Spawn

Spawn Member

So I added a dlc to my iso using Create PS3 extra. The issue is that when mounted I only see the extras, not the game. Is there a way to fix this without ripping the entire disc from scratch?

Is it possible to extract the iso and delete the extras folder, then re-create the iso or will this break my iso?

2. 3,603
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

There is a known bug that happens when a missing field (e.g. ATTRIBUTE) is added to PARAM.SFO

To fix the issue you only need to copy the PARAM.SFO from another game that already have the field ATTRIBUTE, change the values to match your game and mark the "Install Package Flag". This option turns on some bits in ATTRIBUTE to enable the display of the second disc icon for PS3_EXTRA.

I suggest that copy the PARAM.SFO from another game that already have the PS3_EXTRA working.

Algol likes this.
  3. 634
    Spawn

Spawn Member

I'll try.

I do see the PS3_EXTRA but not the actual game.

Would it work if I extract the iso with 7zip and do the changes, or do I need to rip the game again?

4. 3,603
    aldostools

ISO format requires to rebuild the disc image again if you are going to make changes.

You could patch the image using an HEX editor, but you would need to know the raw ISO structure and what bytes to change.

Algol likes this.
  5. 2,976
    Berion

Berion Developer

It is not standard *.iso. It must have magic number on start sectors and a little somewhere further total sector count. Everything else is as I remember the same as standard ISO.

I could be wrong but PS3 using UDF 1.02 (or newer) only, and 7-Zip doesn't support it (only ISO9660, Joliet and HFS).

6. 3,603
    aldostools

AFAIK the PS3ISO uses a primary volume descriptor (PVD) for ISO9660 at sector 0x10 and Joliet at sector 0x11 as seen here:
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/blob/master/_Projects_/ps3netsrv/src/VIsoFile.cpp#L1317
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/blob/master/_Projects_/ps3netsrv/src/VIsoFile.cpp#L1360

That code is for VisoFile class from ps3netsrv, which creates virtual PS3 ISO images on-the-fly from any folder directory.

The main differences between a regular ISO and a PS3ISO are:
    1) The volume name of a PS3ISO must say "PS3VOLUME"
    2) Sector 0: indicates the volume size of the ISO
    3) Sector 1: Must say "PlayStation 3", include the TITLE ID of the game and the "magic" numbers (only random hashes).
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/blob/master/_Projects_/ps3netsrv/src/VIsoFile.cpp#L1294

IRISMAN does the same with a more complex code:
    https://github.com/aldostools/IRISMAN/blob/master/source/iso.c#L2424

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Berion, sandungas and Algol like this.
  7. 7,797
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

7zip works fine for extracting PS3 ISO contents, but is not relliable, i found a couple of games where the extracted files was very different than the files inside the ISO (dont remember well... but weird things like renamed files, missing or moved to different directories)
    In that rare cases you can use winrar... for some weird reason winrar always extracts the contents fine

Personally i dont liike to have winrar installed (i get tired of it, i prefer 7zip) so i have a "winrar portable" just incase
    And after knowing this couple of details what i do is to always use 7zip and then i do an IRD check to the extracted files... this way im completly sure if the files was extracted correctly (and incase of problems then i use the damned "winrar portable")

*7zip was abandoned for many years, but in the last years it returned to activity and had many updates, i hope eventually this incompatibility with PS3 ISO's is going to be fixed, im not confident in it thought because i never understood why it happens... lets say... i dont know the root of the problem so i have doubts if at some point 7zip developers are going to label this problem as a bug

8. 2,976
    Berion

Berion Developer

@sandungas You can have different content in each of file system table (like i.e in case of ESR patched PS2 games where ISO9660 containing game and UDF containing DVD-Video files). Maybe this is similar situation (i.e where 7-Zip have higher priority to ISO9660 and WinRAR for UDF/or Joliet/or whatever and that's why they show You different disc content). You can check it by i.e IsoBuster (which I strongly recommending for any disc analysis).

@aldostools Thanks for clarifications, however as I remember it is not fully correct disc layout which can be make by i.e official tool from sdk. I didn't dig into it so that's why I wasn't sure about earlier post but I'm sure there are differences. If/when I go back to it I'll mention You if You are curious.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    aldostools and sandungas like this.
  9. 7,797
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Hmm, this matches pretty fine with the problem i had, after writing my previous post i was trying to remember what problem i had exactly, and i think it was some files that was moved to different directories
    Probably the files was right and had the right names (not sure about it), but was located in different directories... so the problem was the directories/paths (not the files)
    And it happened with a game that had lot of directories using very similar names... i think it was puppeteer