PS3 Damaged a screw while disassembling

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Horvi, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 22
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Hi, I wanted to give good clean to my fat console and reapply the thermal paste. But when I tried to unscrew the lower screw at the back of the power supply, I managed to damage the head of the screw (it's super tight compared to the other screws).
    Is there any way to get that screw out? I'm afraid I damaged it too much and now all of my screwdrivers rotates in it :'(

Some pics:
    https://imgur.com/a/nHmupzk

2. 215
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

https://imgur.com/a/mh7wJjv

I once used this , placed on top of the screw and rotating it .
    Or use a flat screwdriver in the middle .

But beware , the screws on the motherboard shield are just as difficult .
    Then removing the motherboard is difficult , especially with an old phat . Let the console run and heat up for about 30 minutes before removing the motherboard. You don't want to pull it too hard.
    I'm not sure if a new paste helps . CPU will be higher that GPU on a fat , sometimes much higher.
    You can't fix this with paste on top of the IHS

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  3. 7,243
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Make sure you have the correct size screw driver so that doesn't happen in the first place.

You could try grab the outside of it with a big pliers, it will give you more leverage.

As a last resort you could drill out the head and just not bother replace it. PSU wont go anywhere without it. If you drill it out make sure to be careful of where the metal filings go. Maybe have a hoover on it while drilling or a small magnet next to it and clean the area well after.

4. 410
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

There are many videos on youtube about removing these kind of bad screws. I am sure @sandungas will have the best idea to solve this.

But in the hindsight, i would suggest that never try to over-tighten screws. Just tighten gently up to a point. Some people have habit to squeeze too hard even after a certain point. Bad things can happen.

5. 23
    ElGris

ElGris Member

That's pretty easy. Just get a good screwdriver that fits perfectly, then make it dance a little over the damaged head until you think is good enough to get it tight, then make a lot of pressure downwards and turn it. Try it.

6. 22
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

I've managed to get the screw out by put a rubber band between the screw and the screwdriver, that did the trick aaand HO-LY JESUS. Before that, when i fired up (see what I did here) the console, the CPU was about 60C and the RSX was somewhat lower, around 55C. Playing some Beyond Two Souls easily get the temps up to 68C, wheres the fan started to be like a jetplane. After reapplying the paste, looked at the numbers, the CPU was on 30, then it went up quickly to 40, and after a few minutes idling, it now sits on 55C. This is still ~10 degrees difference. Is it a normal temperature btw?

DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 410
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

These Temps look great. Actually Temps were okay even before reapplying thermal paste. What is your fan speed? What is your Room temp? Are these your in game Temps?

DeViL303 likes this.
  8. 22
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Fan speed 24% (set to auto at 66C in webman)
    I'm in the warmest room upstairs (the idiot mother in law of mine always feels cold so it's like hell in my room)
    Idle temps, gonna test later in game temps.
    BTW I used Arctic mx4

9. 6,088
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

In this case the best way was (in this order)
    1) plyers (just because the head was a bit exposed, maybe you could grab it, other times is imposible to grab it)
    2) keep rotating the screwdriver until the arm hurts (like a drill but human powered) :D
    3) drill it with a dremel and a metal bit (after protecting the surroundings with tape or a plastic bag to get the metal particles)

The option 2 is better because you rotate the screwdriver in counter-clock direction
    With a drill the bit rotates in clock direction (so you are screwing it a bit), this could damage the plastic where is screwed, also it generates a good amount of heat in the screw and the heat could damage the plastic too

In your case the screw was screwed in metal... so option 2 and 3 was ok :)
    Actually, 3 is the best, because in 2 you are damaging the tip of the screwdriver (and you know... a technician that damages his tools is not a good technician :P)

snkplkn likes this.
  10. 410
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Room temps mean everything. Now i have room temp 26c and i can keep my FAT below 70c at 37% during gameplay including heaviest games. In summer, room Temp is 30c+ so fan speed jumps to 43% for 70c threshold.

I don't think you have to worry about Temps in UK. Its a cold country basically. PS3s have hard time in Brazil, SE Asia and South America. In Canada, Russia, Western Europe, North America....not much of a problem.

11. 6,088
    sandungas

An improvement of -10ºC could be normal in your case, lets say... -5ºC because the thermal paste was very old... and another -5ºC because was a bad quality thermal paste (like the one used at factory)

I dont think removing the dust makes much difference, in your PS3 there was lot of dust in that small squares for the air intakes though, maybe that was blocking the airflow a bit

12. 22
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

You guys start to make me feel like there was no point of cleaning and reapplying the thermal paste :'(

13. 6,088
    sandungas

It does, but at this point we can just talk in general, to know accuratelly how much improvement you had it would be needed to make very accurate temperature tests before and after your manteinance work
    But im my oppinion at this point you are late because the "pre" tests was not accurate enought

14. 22
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Dunno what you mean by that.

15. 6,088
    sandungas

I meant this was not accurate enought:
    You was taking a temperature sample at a random point of the game, not meassuring times, and with CELL/RSX having a variable workload

16. 22
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Well, I wasn't monitoring it all the time but rather at on idle and on heavy loads. If I understand correctly, you expected more accurate numbers and maybe timetable? I don't have those.

17. 6,088
    sandungas

Yes, with accurate numbers we could discuss better the details, there are a few things that can be decuded from that values, but only if are very accurate

But it was something specially useful for you, the point is you should find a point where the temperatures was very stable, and take a temperature sample there, one of the best ways to do this is inside a homebrew and taking the sample after more than 30 minutes starting the PS3 from ambient
    This should result in very stable temperatures (where temperatures stays quiet for several minutes)

Then after the thermal paste replacement and the cleanup you could repeat exactly the same and compare the values
    This would give you a very accurate meassure of how much has improved each CELL and RSX

--------------------
    While doing this, keep in mind inside a homebrew we are taking the sample in a very stable temperature with low workload, and we are in the low range of temperatures
    When you go in the high range of temperatures (entering a game) the temperature increases exponentially and becomes very unestables... in this scenario there is another different test you should do... the goal here is to take the temperature sample at the higest max peak

18. 22
    Horvi

Horvi Forum Noob

Sorry for disappointing you. Anyway, my idle temp is about 10C lower, and the fan stays at 24% ever since I'm playing (for more than 1 hour now) and looking at the temps while playing its on 63C and fan still at 24% opposite to 66-68C and jetplane-like fan speed.
    I can't reproduce all the thing I did before reapplying the paste but the numbers I posted still more than nothing I guess (the room temp can't be the same all the time etc.)