Debug for HDD exchange utility problem!

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by Nash_One, Jun 6, 2019.

1. 2
    Nash_One

Nash_One Forum Noob

I have a 60GB phat ps3 , with Rebug 4.84, I wanted to upgrade my HDD to a 1tb internal drive. I used the debug HDD utility backup option, before hand I prepared a 64GB USB pen-drive formatted to Fat32 and plugged it in, it took about 132 mins for the backup to complete.

Afterwards I removed the old 60GB HDD and placed the 1tb drive in its place, plugged my controller in the first USB slot and the USB stick in the last USB slot, turned the system on and got a message that read "the HDD that was copied using (HDD Exchange Utility) was not found. Press X to shut off system."

After this I tried to place the 60Gb HDD back in and get the same message. Have I irreversibly destroyed my jail-broken ps3?

Thank you for taking the time to read my dilemma!

2. 1,313
    Coro

Coro Moderator

that utility wont help upgrade a hdd. it will only replace hdd with one of same size.

3. 2
    Nash_One

Nash_One Forum Noob

Thank you for the response! I was following a youtube guide

I dont recall the video mentioning anything about same size drives. Is there anyway for me to get out this repetitive cycle? Anytime I switch the console on, I am transported to the screen where the ps3 cant find the correct hdd.

4. 1,313
    Coro

Coro Moderator

swap the usb slots used by pen drive and controller and try again. the prn drive must be in a certain usb slot.

5. 1,313
    Coro

Coro Moderator

i am sorry. i wasnt thinking lol. you have to use a usb hdd to copy to. you can not use usb memory stick. your ps3 isnt looking at the pen drive at all its looking for a hdd. dont use youtube videos for ps3 help. there written guides an this site, reddit and others.

6. 3,577
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    One of the best ways to do it is to dump eid_root_key using REBUG Tool box, transfer that to your PC, put the new HDD in the PS3 and then do what you need to do, installing whatever you had on there homebrew wise.

Then use PS3 HDD tool for PC (You can find it in Aldo's PS3 Tools Collection), it requires the eid_root_key to read the HDD from a PS3 and connect the old HDD to the PC using an SATA to USB adapter, windows will give you a message about the just connected drive> do NOT accept the pop up as it will overwrite important data on the HDD and render all data on the HDD useless. Copy what you wanted to save to Your PC.

Then you have 2 choices>

1. Use FTP to directly transfer what you copied back to the PS3..... or....
    2. Transfer it to another USB device and then to your PC.

I tend to prefer to use FTP through a LAN (hardline, ethernet cable) connection as it saves coping stuff multiple times. An FTP over WiFi is painfully slow as the PS3's WLAN device is 2.4Ghz.

OR.... another way would be to transfer the content off the PS3 to USB or through FTP before you swap the HDDs out.

There are a few methods you can use and it all come down to which way you would prefer to do it.