Dev-dropped Projects and Sourcecode - Opinions and Help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by UniqueUserName, Sep 1, 2017.

1. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    This was a fantastic idea by @bguerville that I had forgotten about until I just re-read it today...

....... LINKS IN POST #2 .......

If any of you wonderful people will help me with this, and PLEASE start linking me to all the various dropped projects over the years, I would greatly appreciate it, and do my best to get this started for him. :)

He was originally asking about PS2 Dev-dropped projects, so others could carry the torch, with the last available sourcecode, I believe, but I know he is interested in PS3 as well, and Im also interested in PS2 and PSP...

So, I will organize into groups once people start linking us, but could any of you please help us to get this started?..
    That way all of us will have access to all of these forgotten wonders in one place. ;)

Here is the original idea quote...
    Thank You everyone in advance!
    -Uni

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    PS2

SMS repo:
    https://github.com/doctorxyz/sms/commits/master

SMS v2.9 r4 (recompiled by @belek666 - using the latest available PS2SDK as of 01-02-2017):
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/f111/work-progress-39778/index124.html#post1211170

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS3

PSP

OTHER

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    STLcardsWS likes this.
  3. 9,299
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

I like this idea. But would also suggest any project that is open source. Will post some links later myself but please anyone else post even names of project if can't track a link

UniqueUserName likes this.
  4. 2,573
    Berion

Berion Developer

I'm afraid I don't understand first post. ;p Are You looking a src for projects which was abandoned by their creator/creators?

UniqueUserName likes this.
  5. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Yes, abandoned projects was the idea, but I have no problem making a full list of "everything open-source available", and just adding "(Abandoned)" after the projects which have been dropped to comply with @bguerville s request.

sbp and STLcardsWS like this.
  6. 556
    ShaolinAssassin

ShaolinAssassin Developer

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    UniqueUserName and STLcardsWS like this.
  7. 787
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    If there is a need for backward compatibility, they could either suggest a change or to send me a message. I can't possibly track the compilability of each and every software out there, even though my stand on backward-compatibility has changed over the years; I now try to refrain from making commits that will surely break existing software.

8. 2,573
    Berion

Berion Developer

Excuse my ignorance, but why any changes in sdk could break compiling old sources? I never understand it because I never have such problems on PC.

9. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    STLcardsWS and RandQalan like this.
  10. 787
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Our SDK isn't quite the same as the Sony SDK. Other than the function names not being the same as the Sony SDK's, the IOP and EE libraries may not share the same definitions (so it is not possible to develop code on the EE with its better debugging facilties, before moving the code onto the IOP). So sometimes we do have attempts to unify the function and structure definitions... which occasionally break things.

For many years, we've also been working without some of the kernel patches, which means that we've been using some of the bugged kernel syscalls. Usually, this won't affect homebrew software in general. But software that mess with the kernel like OPL might require updates because they require direct access to the actual syscalls (bugged or not), for one reason or another.

As for why our function names were different, there are a few reasons that I believe in. Other than fear of offending Sony (copyright breach) and because some libraries never had their function names revealed, there wasn't a need to have the libraries designed exactly like the Sony originals. Nowadays I am trying to make the libraries compliant with the official documentation, since we have essentially no documentation for our SDK...

In a more extreme case, I changed the behaviour of the APA driver (HDD.IRX) to use the same syntax as the Sony HDD.IRX, when it came to opening partitions. I also changed our HDD.IRX to return the size of the partition in sectors, as officially documented. In the latter, it also saved on some code because there was no longer a need to convert the size of the partition in sectors to bytes, and then back into sectors again (because it is harder to compute the size of a partition in bytes, not to mention that nobody wants to know the size of a partition in bytes!).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    uyjulian likes this.
  11. 355
    ed89

ed89 Member

whats with muppen64 or somethings like that for PS3 (and btw for PS Vita too)?
    (I know its not a easy task) just asking should be possible isnt it?

There was a news in the past this can be archieved by the PSP emulator build in in the ps3 if not by the ps3 itself....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  12. 1,258
    UniqueUserName

UniqueUserName R.I.P.

AAA
    Home Page:
    Another forgotten thread?? :-p

BEHOLD, it is resurrected! ;)

Lets give this really great idea another chance please. :) :D

DeViL303 likes this.
  13. 1,808
    pink1