PS3 Difficulties Playing PS2ISOs

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by insyde, Mar 29, 2020.

1. 5
    insyde

insyde Forum Noob

Hi, y'all.
    I wanted to play PS2 ISO on my PS3, got the ISO (NFS:HP2), placed under PS2ISO folder in dev_hdd0, went to multiman, in Retro column, converted to PS2 Classics Format. It didn't mount. There was no PlayStation 2 Disc Format (gold disc icon). Anyhow, got PS2 Placeholder, it says copyright error after launching it. Well, next option, I saw that it's to convert to ISO.BIN.ENC then do again, but still the same error (thank you @aldostools, once again!).

The next option was to get webMAN MOD. I got the latest version, installed PKG, ran app holding L1. Rebooted to XMB. Now, 'webMAN MOD' folder is empty, above it, it's a star icon with Enable HEN. The 'Install Package Files' has disappeared. Went to FTP, deleted its files (wm_*) on temp, boot_plugins.txt and /plugins. Still the same. Okay, screw it. I want to update to Rebug Lite Edition 4.85.1. I've seen that playing PS2 ISOs is easy on Cobra-enabled CFW.
    I have Ferrox 4.82 CFW (PS3 system information) but on multiMAN it says PS3 system firmware 4.75 [BD-ROM Emulator] - btw if I disable BD-ROM emulator, can't mount games (?).
    PS3 is slim.

Are there any hardware-specific requirements to have Cobra?
    Should I need to use QA toggler? (guess no, due that it's not a downgrade, but as confirmation)
    Any chance of savedata / game loss?
    How high is the risk of having a bricked system?
    So, can I install Rebug Lite 4.85.1 under my current setup? Will it make painless playing PS2ISOs?
    (Hash is verified, and PS3UPDAT.PUP is staying in my USB stick, anxiously).

Thanks in advance.

2. 1,695
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

If your PS3 is CFW compatible, then there's no need to use HEN at all or the additional steps that accompany playing PS2 backups. Just update to Rebug Lite 4.85 and you're good to go; no data loss or risk of a brick as it's a simple firmware installation. You don't need to QA toggle when installing a higher firmware version, but it doesn't hurt to toggle it on just in case you want to install a lower firmware at some point.

On CFW, just mount from dev_hdd0/PS2ISO with webMAN MOD from the XMB. No conversion or other additional steps necessary.

3. 5
    insyde

insyde Forum Noob

Thanks for the quick reply! My simple logic says that if it's Ferrox CFW, then it has CFW already! I was just puzzled about "Enable HEN" that was appeared, why? Maybe a bug? Then, FW in multiMAN is different from that XMB info (4.75 - 4.82).
    I could not use webMAN due to that - the webMAN MOD folder was empty, and it removed 'Install Package Files'. It really confused me. I hope installing Rebug will fix it!

4. 1,695
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Exactly, I used Ferrox Cobra 4.82 for the best part of a year, and it's definitely CFW lol
    You or someone else must have installed HEN at some point because there's no bug which causes HEN to display; back in the 4.82 days HEN had not even been released (though HAN was released in I believe March 2018). Reinstalling a CFW - Rebug Lite 4.85 is a solid chice - should remove HEN and then you can start fresh - though it won't remove any of your installed homebrew, you can just install or reinstall whatever you like once you're on CFW and that should hopefully resolve the issues.

I'd also recommend getting the latest multiMAN v04.85.01 if you haven't got it already. Once on the latest firmware and latest multiMAN, mM should display the firmware version correctly when you run - though the functionality is exactly the same. I'd also recommend getting the latest webMAN MOD as well, if you haven't already, and reinstall it once you're on Rebug Lite.

Hopefully then you won't have any further complications, but if you do then just post back :)

insyde likes this.
  5. 5
    insyde

insyde Forum Noob

Thank you so much, once again!

Do you recommend to install newer pkg of multiMAN and webMAN over the existing ones, or uninstall multiMAN first then install new package? I will try in a few hours. MD5 is OK.

6. 1,695
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

No problem, you're welcome. Yeah, just reinstall the packages for mM and wMM over any existing ones. You can also uninstall wMM and then reinstall it fresh, or just install over the existing installation of it. For multiMAN, just reinstall over the old version - that's what I did from 4.82 to 4.85 mM.

If the problem persists with webMAN MOD, then remove it and reinstall fresh. Once wMM is installed and you have your backups in the right folders (PSXISO, PS2ISO, PS3ISO) on the root of your PS3's HDD or a USB external one, use the :but select:+:but l3: button combo to refresh the XML list, and then :but l3:+:but cir:+:but r2: to reboot the PS3 - your games should then appear in the webMAN Games folders.

insyde likes this.
  7. 5
    insyde

insyde Forum Noob

Hi once again,
    I've just updated to Rebug, and it worked flawlessly. I've installed webmanMOD, multiMAN (mmCM), rebug toolbox. The "Enable HEN" is gone, the Package manager is back. I just played a PS2 ISO, it worked so well! (Although graphic was 4:3, it's just the game I guess).
    Thank you so much, I prolly just was overthinking it.

However, I noticed some minor issues:
    1) Loading game via wMM, froze XMB. I tried with SAW II and I had to press power button. Works fine with mM though.
    2) When CPU goes up to 68C while playing, fan goes crazy, which did not happen in last CFW. Is this ok? It goes 68C playing 10-20 mins. Recommend thermal paste and clean it? (Didn't clean inside for like 3-4 years). Is this wMM feature and is it disabled by 'disable temperature warning'? Would you recommend to tick this option or clean/apply thermal paste? The fan control is set to SYSCON.