Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3 [Discussion] The possibilities of hosted private servers for PS3 games.

Discussion in 'PS3Xploit HAN (nonCFW Compatable Models)' started by Zazenora, Jul 8, 2018.

1. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    Before I begin, I'd like to clarify what exactly I'm talking about here.

On my modded Wii, I am able to continue playing certain games online such as Mario Kart & Super Smash Bros. by running my backups of these games through a program that modifies what I figure are the ports/IP configurations that allow the game to connect to a particular server. (Originally being Nintendo servers, otherwise after the mod, through privately hosted servers by dedicated fans of the system.)

Now, with the reality of the PS3 online services coming to an eventual close as well one day, I've been thinking.
    With the library of online games that the PS3 has/had, could something similar ever become a thing for PS3 users of HAN or CFW?

Doing something similar with the PS3 would undoubtably be a tougher nut to crack, since all online multi-player games require signing into PSN before continuing online. So already we can see that either a bypass would be
    needed or an emulated PSN all together, which would probably have to be hosted by someone trustworthy enough to run/hold that kind of data, then we get to the actual games, which would require a larger network of PS3 fans that would be willing to host multiple servers for multiple games, once their network pipelines were established within the games to be able to host them properly.

I'm just simply wanting to hear some discussions about something like this, this isn't a request.
    I mainly want to know how feasible something like this would be in a post PSN future that the PS3 is crawling towards. :P

2. 4
    sonnyv

sonnyv Forum Noob

As far as I know that would be a pretty massive undertaking for EACH game. PSN is sort of like a middle man in between game servers and PS consoles. The PSN network keeps track of certain services (like keeping track of which account belongs to which user, general statistics like how long accounts play games, are online, or earned trophies) it also points a console to game servers for each individual game. If you get on a game like (whatever it may be) it connects through PSN to a cluster of servers that are running server programs for that specific game. Basically you would need to either reverse engineer or somehow obtain a copy of that server program and host it somewhere.

I'm not very familiar with the online play you were talking about with the Wii, but I imagine that's why only certain games work. Either someone came up with their own server (some how) for each game.

While I know it's not a perfect solution, but if you're thinking about playing games after ps3 online play stops being supported you could take a look at xlink kai. It's only for games that have the ability to play LAN games, but it's something. The reason this works, is because games that have LAN play ability built in make an ad hoc host/player network. Normally this would only work (obviously) on a low latency local network (LAN) but xlink kai sort of plays the role of a very long ethernet cable.

While it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility; the undertaking for each game would be an obstacle. Then even if there were a surge of open source projects for each game, and if there were a coming together of developers to make a new framework which replaces PSN; trophy system, ranking system, and everything else, you would still have to trust that replacement PSN with your information.

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic. While each step is obtainable the amount of time and work would mean it's more than a side job for someone, and can you even imagine Sony being cool with a replacement PSN for an entire generation of online games? Anyone who started a project like that would be sued pretty quickly.

Zazenora likes this.
  3. 1
    Shanz

Shanz Forum Noob

DoublesAdvocate and Zazenora like this.
  4. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    No apologies!
    I'll look into this, thanks for the reply!

5. 647
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

There's something called xlink kai,but idk if it supports the PS3.

6. 75
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

It does I was just reading about haze and warhawk games being hosted on there the other day.

Algol likes this.