PSP {Discussion} - What were your favorite things about your PSP?

Discussion in 'General PSP Discussion' started by STLcardsWS, Oct 6, 2014.

1. 9,308
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

What made the PSP such a great handheld?

Was it the Games?
    Was it the Homebrew?

What did you like bout your PSP?

2. 434
    Joel16

Joel16 Developer

Student
    Home Page:
    I believe the homebrew scene brought me into it. At first I was a noob to it, but its not until late last year I got into developing things for it :P
    I didn't enjoy the games too much, but I had a few favorites. These include the naruto games (Ultimate ninja impact, kizuna drive, ninja storm 3) I also enjoyed final fantasy crisis core and kingdom hearts. Oh! and all those nights I played GTA with my mates , haha those were the days.

3. 91
    Infiltraitor

Infiltraitor Forum Noob

What I liked about the PSP? Actually I love my PSP. Probably the most powerful and portable device that I had at work at its time. I have mine early 2010, though it's nearing its end it was still the best portable device at the time. Here are the things I loved about PSP:

1. Custom Themes
    2. ScreenShots through .prx plugins
    3. Homebrews
    4. Capacities of over 128GB

I had to share that during the prime days of my PSP I was able to play Java games for Nokia Phones and because of that I was able to have the best PSP web browser, which is the Opera Mini 4. Do you remember Snaptu? I had it on my PSP, best ever multi social media platform.

Capacity wise, it was able to work with 128GB of storage, using a dual microSD adapter. I was able to use the adapter with 2 16GB cards = 32GB. I remember them saying my PSP seems like having a harddrive inside because the only had the 4GB on them LOL.

Mostly Homebrews and Plugins was may main favorite on the system. Games were like okay for me, but customization and unlocking the PSP was the best.

4. 28
    wishing4thesun

wishing4thesun Forum Noob

The way it was so ahead of its time, and yet no one except the homebrew community managed to take advantage of that so much really.

It makes a great media player, a pretty good retro emulator, yes :3

5. 1,948
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    The ability of taking "Home Console" like experience on the Go,was a good marketing stategy, PSP was too ahead of its time, it was a great machine to own back in the mid-2000s, the games library was huge, backwards compatibility with PSOne via PSOne Classics was a great addition, but the Homebrew and Custom Firmwares were the Creme d´Crop, there wasnt a single PSP that i owned or people who had PSPs that wasnt Custom Firmwared,it opened doors to Emulation,Custom Backwards Compatibility with PSOne and more, the machine became affordable which many people considered after the PSVITA was launched in 2011, after the PSVITA because more "affordable", and exploited with HENkaku, it took the "crown" as the ultimate portable machine, but with PSVITA prices increasing due to the low sales figures of the machine, the PSP its still a great choice for that matter, in fact, many users looking for an affordable Emulation experience or retro-portable, they look no further than the PSP.

6. 138
    SpyroMancer

SpyroMancer Member

Portability, psx games, good original games and homebrew. I even had a pdf reader that I used on it

I still use my psp 2000 till this day.

Funny thing was you could use it as usb stick to hack the og Xbox, which had limited support of usb flash drives, but it worked with psp. Such was its greatness

7. 905
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    The OG Metal Gear Solid in your pocket.

That was by far the best reason to own a Psp (for me anyways)

It was the first console I hacked and it led me down a crazy road of exploits, homebrew and all that lovely stuff.
    Deffo an eye opener for me as far as hacking is concerned. Suddenly this tiny handheld could do loads more than Sony ever intended and that made me realise what potential homebrew had.

8. 12,611
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

after all these years and my psp is still kicking. I connected it to a hotspot on my phone, so my psp can access google. ;)

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  9. 905
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Literally pulled my PSP out of storage a few days ago to have a little mess around.

I found I could connect to my home WiFi even though it isn't old school WEP encryption. I just manually entered the router details and it connects OK. But automatic and DHCP fails to assign an IP address.

pinky likes this.
  10. 12,611
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

yeah, I think it uses wep or wpa1. I think wpa2 was out by the time the psp was released, but it wasn't commercially available to the public.

I can't connect to my wifi either, which is why I just use my phone to get online. I don't think entering the information manually worked when I tried it.

11. 905
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I was about to go through the process of setting up a guest network and using WEP on that. But when I went to the settings on the PSP I noticed that my WiFi details were already there... From when I last messed with it 5 odd years ago.

But when I tried, it connected. Which is weird. Because my WiFi is WPA2 encryption. Which I've read sooooo many times that the psp is incompatible with WPA2

pinky likes this.
  12. 12,611
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

that's why I had to use my phone. the only other thing was to make the mac address unknown, but I had to connect the device first. iirc, wpa2 will be greyed out from use.

13. 12,611
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  14. 905
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Yes yes, I know WEP encryption is absolutely useless today.
    But I dont use it.... my wifi is WPA2, which is why I'm confused as to why my PSP can connect

pinky likes this.
  15. 12,611
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm not sure. I'm not well versed in networking stuff, which is why I don't stream with anything but the cable box. my phone is tied to my router with wpa2, so the only way to get it (the psp) to connect is a hotspot. from where it's making the connection I don't know.

16. 3,284
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

For me, the PSP is one of the greatest handheld in the history. Dark_Alex introduced the concept of Custom Firmware in game consoles. Also the plugins system was a great innovation and the ability to use CSO images was awesome.

At its time (circa 2005) the PSP had great new features. You had a portable Internet browser on a full color "big" screen, if you compare it with the "smartphones" of the time -iPhone or even youtube didn't exist yet-. You could play photos, music and "HD" movies on the road. The games had great visual quality (HD format), in some cases better than PS2 (which most of its games were designed for SD format) and it was cool to play them anywhere.

It had a large number of emulators (PSX, SNES, NES, Sega, GB, GBA, N64, Mame, DOS, Tandy, Commodore, calculators, etc.) and homebrews. The online play was exciting. It was neat to control and play your PS3 on PSP in 2008 or even use it as a game pad. The custom themes in PSP were cooler than the today's ones for PS3 or PS4.

It's a shame that Sony-Ericsson and Playstation divisions never launched a PSP Phone before 2009. They lasted too much to add the second analog stick. PSP Vita was launched too late, when Android and iOS phones already dominated the handheld market and nobody wanted to carry 2 devices to communicate and play games. The PSP Go and PS Phone were mediocre products.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020