Do I need to upgrade from 4.81 to 4.84 to HAN?

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by alexmax, May 15, 2019.

1. 5
    alexmax

alexmax Forum Noob

Hello everyone

As you can tell form my post count, I'm a total noob. I've had experience with E3 emulators but that's it.
    Right now I have a Super Slim on OFW 4.81 4xxx 12GB release (no internal HDD yet). I'm still doing my research and I have some questions so far:

1. Do I upgrade from OFW 4.81 to OFW 4.84, then install HFW 4.84.2 and HAN, then PS3HEN 2.0.2? Or should I take a different root since I'm on 4.81?
    2. Also, do I need to install HDD before going through the installation or can I install it when needed (is it required for the installation?

Thanks in advance

2. 654
    umart666

umart666 Member

1.no,proper thing to do is to update to ofw 4.84 and follow official guide for HEN very,very,very carefully.

2.it's not clear to me do you have that 12gb drive or you don't have any drive at all?if you have that stock 12gb one you can do it all,as firmware is in part installed on it,but if you plan on upgrading it anyway better to hold on until you have it and do it all with the new drive.

if the drive is new you can simply plug it in and ps3 will prompt you to format it and will ask for firmware to install.you can at that point simply install 4.84 and proceed as instructed on the official HEN guide,again - very,very,very carefully.

if it isn't new or ps3 didn't recognize it you can plug it on the PC and erase all partitions and make sure is converted do MBR and MBR is rebuilded otherwise ps3 can have problems recognizing it.i personally would always check any drive on the PC with some diagnostics software compatible with s.m.a.r.t. like hdd sentinel even brand new ones just to be sure drive is ok,even though currently i have really junky one on my cechc that i've ripped from old laptop that has some problems but it's stable enough for my needs.on NOR models i would stick to perfect ones as NOR models like yours in part hold firmware on hdd so junky hdd can and will in most cases cause troubles,but on NAND consoles it isn't that critical,especially if you like me are basically using it for gamedata and couple of ps2 backups.and have it all properly backed up. :)

alexmax likes this.
  3. 4,714
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Yep gotta update to 4.84.2 HFW but you can do the hack now. It's easy to reinstall and if you plan on using ISO files and external USB is fine for now till you upgrade. PSN content is limited to internal but you can run PS3 & PSX games from external just fine or even over your network.

alexmax likes this.
  4. 5
    alexmax

alexmax Forum Noob

Thank you guys that was really helpful. I really appreciate your help.
    I have a few more questions but I'll wait til I finish me research maybe they will be answered. Thanks again