Does a CFW2OFW pkg increase your ban risk?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by JustSome1, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

I intend to play the game I'm converting online but I was wondering if using a converted game could be easily picked up by Sony as I noticed the program seems to change the 'BLES' bit of the titleID to one like 'NPEB'. If I recall correctly, Sony can see the titleID of a game so wouldn't they see that the titleID either dosen't exist or dosen't match up to the game I'm playing and ban me?

Thanks for reading!

2. 7,654
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    I believe i saw very similar thread here earlier o_O

3. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

Might have been me, I posted this somewhere else on this site but then realised it was the wrong place for it and didn't know how to delete the thread, sorry

4. 7,654
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Ok, next time in situation like this hit report button. There write you want thread deleted, stuff will then decide to remove it, or not.
    Seems like risk is very low for now. But in my opinion just because $ony don't care about this hack. Looks like they are only using old CFW methods of detection. Anyway, someday they can find some free time to ban those kind of players. Is easy to detect, just looks like $ony is not doing it. For now..

JustSome1 likes this.
  5. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

BLES is retail; NPEB is digital. that's how the naming system works. it's probably safer this way since the game is on the hdd.

6. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

Ah okay I reported it, and that still worries me a little since you never know when they're gonna do something about it :( thanks for the reply!

7. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

I was just wondering if this was something Sony would pick up on as the GOTY edition of my game which I'm converting was never released digitally I don't think

8. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

don't know. it doesn't appear that sony can see much or we'd all be banned. although, I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out why I was banned. I don't game online or even go online with my systems. banning seems to have gone up exponentially with the switch. now, they can ban individual game carts and perhaps game discs with this next wave of consoles. they can also super ban someone which prevents the download of system and game updates. that's this new generation starting with the switch.

with the ps3, sony was so over-confident that the system wouldn't be hacked, even deeming it unhackable, that they probably failed to provide some sort of infrastructure to ban people. the 360, jtag = instant ban. Nintendo on the wii u didn't seem to care. the new hacks with the ps4 and the vita seem to be undetectable as well, so sony really shot themselves in the foot when it comes to their systems and bannings.

JustSome1 likes this.
  9. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

I've heard quite a bit on Nintendo clamping down on stuff like this but I'm not really too well versed on that side of things, but yeah as for Sony if this is the case I'm just gonna risk it. People say they've ran CFW for years but only use their PS3s like a normal person would (i.e. no modding and the like) and they've never been picked up, and since I'm only running HAN I suppose that means I'm even more safe? Thanks for the reply!

10. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

this is what's believed to be sent to sony when you connect to psn/sen (hate the name sen ;)): http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Online_Connections#Community_spying

they can't really see much other than plugins and what app is being used. since you can't use homebrew or use plugins (sprx), I don't see how you could get caught with han. :)

JustSome1 likes this.
  11. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

Oh that's great! :biggrin: I'm just a little paranoid about stuff like this but yeah thanks for clearing this up for me. Of course, a little caution can't hurt but I'm super excited to fill my HDD right now, thanks!

EDIT: Sorry but just to be clear, productID and gameID are differen't things right? Or at least the productID isn't changed when converted to a pkg file?

pinky likes this.
  12. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

always proceed with caution 'cause no one knows if that list is complete. it seems to be though considering how many people have remained ban free. maybe sony caught me using a plugin? I was using a few at the time. I had no games on the system since they were on an external hdd which died. I still haven't replaced it. I recently bought a 10TB hdd to serve as a backup. I'll buy a second next month to serve as a second backup. one of my 2TB hdds can serve as a drive for my ps3 and another for my ps4. then, I might sell the rest of my hdds for some extra cash. :D

JustSome1 likes this.
  13. 198
    Scorpion355

Scorpion355 Member

Things like these raise my anxiety over the roof lol
    But turth to be told, one more year and $onia won't even care about the PS3, they've got better things to do than banning people on the PS3, i even doubt that we will get to see a new firmware update.

pinky and JustSome1 like this.
  14. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

Jeez that's loads of space! I'm just using the 500GB that came with my PS4 cause I upgraded the HDD in my PS4, I thought that would be plenty of space but I've already taken up close to 100GB with just stuff like HD re-releases of PS2 games. So I'm defo not doubtful I can fill up 500GB pretty easily, especially since there are so many quality PS3 games I never got around to playing.

pinky likes this.
  15. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

It's nearly been a year or something like that since the last one I think :confused3: I think I worry way too much about things like this

pinky likes this.
  16. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I have a 2TB hdd in my ps4; a 750GB one in my ps3. I plan to buy another non banned ps3, but at the same time, I think to myself "would I even play it"? I never played my ps3 aside from 2 games: tales of graces f and jak and daxter 1. I liked both games a lot. I even started and got quite a ways in jak and daxter 2. I'm not sure if the save is still on my system or if it was lost with tales of graces f and jax and daxter 1 save. I'm thinking that it was. games like those would make me want to play the ps3 again. :) I guess for the most part losing my saves and my external hdd turned me off from my ps3. the same thing happened with one of my 360's external hdds; I don't play it either. I guess I shouldn't have crammed that many games on to two hdds for either system. I backed up my other 360's external hdd and its internal hdd last night. it finished a little after I woke up. I'm now putting the ps3's external hdd stuff onto my 10TB hdd. :D

17. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

Ahh good luck with that, I could do with something like that since I only really played a couple games on my PS3 years ago when it was my main system, so I have so so many games to discover. The Jak and Daxter trilogy is something I've actually got waiting to be played on my PS3, I lived off of those sorts of platformers when I was little. Got any recommendations for me? Chances are I haven't played it.

18. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

Also (just to clarify), does CFW2OFW change the productID?

19. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

ratchet and clank is good, but both that and jak and daxter are not really hidden gems. braid is good if you have a 360, but it's more a puzzle platformer. I did get all achievements and beat the game with that one. :) I did get both trilogies and sly coopers quadrilogy. they're on my vita and pstv (got them for that system). mega man x legacy collection is good. it's on the ps4. I bought the switch version which stupidly has a download code for mmx5-8. I really hope they make another mmx. I like it better than the original mm. I'm actually playing mmx4 atm. :-p

20. 17
    JustSome1

JustSome1 Forum Noob

Got all of them too :D never played Braid but it looks like it was ported to the PS3 so I'll defo check that out, and I heard about that whole Mega Man switch thing like surely they could've fit that on the cartridge? I just find that a bit weird, but yeah Mega Man is a little before my time but I'm open to checking out older games.

pinky likes this.