PS3 Don't use Youtube as main/only source of info for Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by DeViL303, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7,089
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Moderator edit: This thread was originally created in reference to a popular YouTube tutorial that has since been taken down and re-done, and which now takes into account the additional safety measures in aid of an issue-free jailbreak process. As of now, 16/04/2019, the video in question is no longer available and a new, improved video tutorial with more thorough information has now taken its place. - Coldheart2236

Title says it all, Lots of people using and recommending YouTube tutorials.

And they are bricking due to bad advice. No mention of checking the dump after patching in his tutorial. edit: or installing HFW twice.

Like, if you are going to make a tutorial, follow the official steps, ffs.

AND if you are going to recommend a tutorial to others, at least watch it and make sure it covers the basic 6 steps (see post below)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
  2. 7,089
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Here.

Sorry you had to brick like that, but lesson learned, dont use youtube for things like this..

3. 131
    shab

shab Member

Work from home looking to help others
    im going to get my ps3 fixed don't worry without you guys i wouldn't have known about jailbreaks please read my last post in the habib thread

Niander466 likes this.
  4. 7,089
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    If anyone here has recommended that video or any others without fully checking them out first., please go back and edit your posts, people will be seeing them for months otherwise and bricking for stupid reasons.

n00b, Algol and Niander466 like this.
  5. 131
    shab

shab Member

Work from home looking to help others
    Hey Devil303

I was thinking of Making a PSXPLACE Youtube Channel so everytime you guys upload its on youtube and we do have a lot of friends so making money to go towards research aint a problem

shall i make one for our Team to use

6. 7,089
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Nothing to do with me, Im just a member here like you.

But IMO I dont think you should, as you can see from mr marios mistakes, even with all that work, its easy make a mistakes and cause damage. Its not worth it imo, People doing this kind of stuff need to use text tutorials really, as they are much more thorough. Its ok to watch some videos for extra information and insight. but bad idea to rely on them solely.

Anyone doing something like this, should be referencing multiple sources of information, and comparing them.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. 1,392
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

It's a nice thought in theory, but I'd advise against it for the reason @DeViL303 already provided. To add my own reason: it would not be officially endorsed by PSX-Place or the PS3Xploit team, for the reason that any misinformation on the channel would reflect badly on the site/team - which are most likely the best sources of PS3 hacking information on the internet.

It's not worth it considering the site has comprehensive written tutorials that can be digested in one's own time, written by the actual developers of PS3Xploit. I don't mean to generalise, but YT tutorials are for lazy people who can't be bothered to read. Not only that, but the content creator has often been less than thorough in their research, which they then pass off as reliable information in the videos.

Too many people on YouTube uploading half-cocked 'tutorials' for the PS3, which they know many people will be more inclined to follow instead of a written guide - the reality being that these videos often miss out crucial information and are more geared towards growing that person's YouTube channel with views, likes and subscriptions, than providing reliable information that will help the viewer without the risk of a brick or other issues arising.

Just my opinion on the matter. TL;DR The extant written tutorials are far superior to any YT video out there, and should be used primarily. Nothing wrong with a video for a visual reference, but they are not to be trusted over guides and tutorials written by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Niander466, DeViL303 and psykosis like this.
  8. 7,089
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Also, I dont think he installs HFW twice. OMG.

So here are basics step to jailbreaking, see red text for steps the MrMario missed out:
    • Install HFW Twice
    • Dump for backup
    • Flash hex patch
    • Dump again
    • Check dump is ok
    • Install CFW
    So 50% of the main steps required were left out of his tutorial. And guys, that is one of the good ones, and its only HALF a tutorial really. :)

So he did the quick and dodgy way, install HFW > patch > install CFW. And he is making money off it and has 38,000 views, any guess how many bricks,.. :(

Algol likes this.
  9. 1,341
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Technically, the video can be reported as misleading information.
    Users that bricked using his exact method should also comment below how the video is fake.
    If you see him in public... well... put him in a coma :)

DeViL303 likes this.
  10. 7,089
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    reporting it now, can others do the same please.

although, what reason?

upload_2019-4-9_13-50-30.png

Harmful dangerous acts (to my ps3)

Or infringes my rights, to a good tutorial .

ps3mastar234 and Coldheart2236 like this.
  11. 1,392
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

I of course do not include you when I say about YT tutorials being bad, as I always enjoy your videos and find them interesting. I'm sure you didn't take it as a jab, but just wanted to be clear on it. :)

Some of the comments from this Mario guy's video:

"When there is no ps3.guide.... there is always ya boy, MrMario with a dope tutorial"
    "very detailed and very professional, thank you"
    "I accidentally updated my PS3 to 4.83 and i was anxiously waiting for this! Thank you so much!"
    "Ok we have another problem...it's saying success now but It's freezing...What do I do bro"
    "Awesome man works like a charm you was clear on directions best I have seen yet think you sir"

With YouTube, the bar is set so low. Sad to admit but as you say, this is one of the better guides on YT.

DeViL303 likes this.
  12. 1,392
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

I'd be tempted to say it's misleading, as it does omit some very important steps which all too often results in a brick due to people rushing to get on CFW without taking the necessary precautions. Harmful to the PS3, but I'm sure YT's guidelines define this as actual physical acts that are harmful to the person.

13. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Electrical engineering student
    Isn't there any way to contact him through YouTube to tell him about his mistake and to correct or re-do the video? Being that video one of the best ones out there even though it has mistakes, maybe we can help and point him to the right direction, and we would get a good video tutorial that isn't sh*t.

I'm saying this because I think we can give him (and maybe others) a second chance.

(I always followed written tutorials, and then watched the videos just to see which screens I'll be going through, how the exploit page looked and worked, etc. I never relied solely on video tutorials, but I think those help, so we can help in making one good enough to help people)

Edit: maybe contact him through Twitter or something. Idk

DeViL303 likes this.
  14. 7,089
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yeah, i dont really do tutorials, I just show stuff happening, hard to go wrong with that. :)

I did a bit of a instructional video on PKG Linker when it came out, but there was no risk at any time in that, and was mostly on PC, so felt comfortable doing that. And even that could have been much better, and i came up with idea, yet was still was not happy with my video :)

With jailbreak tutorials, the incentive is normally making money, as seen by the ads.

@everyone Note: I have never made any money from my youtube ever even though it has hundreds of thousands of views, i do not have ads, 1 or 2 of my videos got ads put on by youtube due to the music i used, but I get nothing.

Algol likes this.
  15. 437
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    Have you ever heard bricking ps3 super slim?

16. 7,089
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Well yeah, if he wants to correct it, but he gets thousand of comments on his videos. So not sure if he will see them,

if you want to try work away. Im going back to dev_flash. :)

17. 437
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    I think billy kibaki the jamaican's tutorial is better than mr.mario

18. 413
    dazzaXx

dazzaXx Member

XMB UI Editor/Coder, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    I kept seeing this MrMario's tutorial in my recommended but never watched the thing. Absolutely appalling that he's spreading misinformation, not going through all the steps and basically half-arsing it just for people to actually brick their systems.

DeViL303 likes this.
  19. 1,743
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Mr Mario popularity exploded due to the CFW scene, when the PS3 Xploit 1.0 came out, ever since he made videos about it, although his tutorials are not bad, per say, he skips too many details, but people keep mentioning him, and i understand,since he its the 1st to widespread these tutorials, but there are better tutorials, one of them was Skullator, but unfortunately his channel,was taken down,ever since he moved his focus to the Switch homebrew scene, although he had great PS2,PS3 and PSVITA tutorials, Project Phoenix Media, its also a good standart to tutorials, although he covers mostly with CFW Consoles rather tha HAN,but i think he has HAN Tutorials too.

20. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

@shab Please kindly explain how you got bricked because I skip those fail-safe security steps all the time and I never got bricked since 4.82.

We are trying to rule out if there's a possible bug in the flash writer itself.

Your original post only states you followed everything but missing all the details like your ps3 model, previous firmware, whether you installed HFW or not, or which flasher version you used (NAND,NOR,HDD, or USB)

esc0rtd3w and DeViL303 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.