PS3 Dumb question about PS2 rambus chips on CECHA01

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by SiegHart93, Jan 17, 2020.

1. 121
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

Hi, i have a doubt about the PS2 rambus chips in the PS3 CECHA01 ! i have noticed that 2 shiny pads above the rambus memories on my CECHA01 are missing. Is that normal ? what is the function of those shiny pads ?

I marked in yellow the pads that are missing on my PS3 CECHA01.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. 1,951
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    As far as i am aware, there are different versions of the EDO RAM on the PS2, from different manufacturers, the some of them are shiny while others are completely matte, it doesn't influence functionality or performance by any means, is just different EDO RAMBUS from a different manufacturer.

Remember there are multiple Sub-Revisions of the COK-001 Board, some of them change a few parts like the RSX VRAM Module Manufacturer as well as others, nothing to be worrying about.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

SiegHart93 and wrx884 like this.
  3. 121
    SiegHart93

SiegHart93 Member

Thanks @Naked_Snake1995 the rambus on my CECHA01 is completely mate as u said that's why i was asking because i always see COK-001 mobos with those shiny pads on internet. But if it is because there are different manufacturers thats ok. Big thanks bro again as always helping :)

4. 787
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Pardon me if I'm mistaken about something, but isn't EDO RAM, just EDO RAM. While RAMBUS DRAM is known as RDRAM?
    2MB of EDO RAM was used for the IOP. It was replaced later on with 4MB SDRAM, when the IOP was replaced. RDRAM is used for the EE.

Algol and Cypher_CG89 like this.
  5. 3,364
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    Yes, EDO and RAMBUS (RDRAM) are 2 different types of RAM. There is no such RAM as EDO RAMBUS. EDO is an asynchronous RAM Type and RAMBUS RDRAM (also actually the company who developed its name) is a type of synchronous RAM.

A little fun fact:

RDRAM was only ever seen in 2 consoles, compared to PC etc, in its life time> N64 and the PS2 and was beaten and made obsolete by DDR, while one of the successor's to RDRAM is the PS3's XDR RAM. So the PS2 and 3 both use RAMBUS RAM.

Incorrect... your mixing two different RAM types here mate. read above.....^^^^^^^ Its either an EDO or RAMBUS not both.

Algol likes this.