VITA / PsTV [Enso] Can anyone tell me why Enso takes longer to boot on different PS Vita models?

Discussion in 'HENkaku' started by Hyrus, Oct 5, 2019.

1. 11
    Hyrus

Hyrus Forum Noob

Hello guys! As the topic says I'm just curious about this matter and I wanna know if someone else has noticed that and can tell us more about it. Here's the thing...

I have 2 PS Vitas, a "Fat" 3G/WiFi model and the "Slim" version. I have installed Enso on both of them and I noticed a significant difference on the time it takes Enso to load (or the time the Enso logo appears on the screen before vanishing and the "healthy gaming announcement" shows up).

I took the time on both models twice, starting from a complete shutdown and till the moment the healthy announcment appears on screen and here are the results:

PS Vita Slim (1st test): 16,78 sec
    PS Vita Slim (2nd test): 16,62 sec

PS Vita Fat 3G/WiFi (1st test): 26,03 sec
    PS Vita Fat 3G/WiFi (2nd test): 25,87 sec

As you can see there's a significant difference; it takes 10 seconds more on my "Fat" PS Vita. So I'm wondering if that is a 'normal' behavior or not. Enso works perfectly fine and I have no issues with plugins or homebrew on this device. I'm just curious about why it takes longer to boot.

Here's some additional info regarding my PS Vitas:
    Both have a 128GB SanDisk Ultra microSD inserted in the game cartridge port (using an identical SD2Vita adapter on each device). Both cards have exactly the same games and apps installed. The only difference is that my "Fat" Vita is on firmware 3.60, while the Slim one is on firmware 3.65.
    That means that for the 3.60 Vita I used the Enso installer provided by Team HENkaku (molecule); and for the 3.65 Vita I used the installer released by TheFl0w.

Can someone confirm if the difference I experience in booting time could be attributed to the different Enso installers or should they behave exactly the same?

Thanks for your time. And feel free to share how long it takes Enso to load on your Vitas ;)

2. 2,257
    Berion

Berion Developer

All Enso Installers installing the same Enso (because all installing Enso v1.0 or 1.1).

Boot time mostly depend on plugins loaded on start and what they doing. I.e booting to LA will be significant longer if You use some of remount plugin.

My PSTV booting up ~30s because of Storage Manager. ;)

3. 11
    Hyrus

Hyrus Forum Noob

Thanks for your reply @Berion, in my case both PS Vitas load exactly the same plugins, which are basically two: nonpdrm and storage manager.

4. 12,158
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I think it might have something to do with the initialization of the gpu. afaik, that's why the ensou logo doesn't appear on the pstv. the gpu is too slow to display the logo. the logo uses the camera, but that's also too slow when turning on the system. I forgot the specifics, but the camera is what displays the logo. you might want to test an unhacked system. I personally don't remember that lengthy a time to boot up the system. it takes longer, but not that much longer.

5. 12,158
    pinky

6. 11
    Hyrus

Hyrus Forum Noob

Thanks for the info about the SceDisplay module. I think that might be the answer.

However, @pinky you say that depending on the system "the time to boot may be longer but not that much longer".

Does that mean that the 10 additional seconds is not a normal behavior?
    Any ideas on how to improve the booting time?

Btw, in addition to the info I provide on my first post I forgot to mention that the same plugins are enabled on both systems; so as I stated before, the main difference is the system model and firmware version.

7. 12,158
    pinky

I'm not sure. my system may be comparable. I've just never really noticed aside from the ensou logo being absent from the pstv. I read somewhere that it's due to the gpu being slower to initialize than it is on the vita. I wouldn't worry about it. it's probably normal.

btw, if you've ever used that boot logo changer, the ensou logo will appear for a split second, then the logo you want will appear. it could be related to just the system's boot up procedure. I don't think kernel plugins are loaded into memory immediately.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  8. 11
    Hyrus

Hyrus Forum Noob

Nope, I have never used the boot logo changer. Both Enso installations on my systems were left untouched after running for the first time.

9. 12,158
    pinky

I don't have a phat vita to test, but I just tested my slim. it booted up pretty quick (maybe comparable to your speeds or even a little faster). I don't think the size of the memory card or micro sd will make much difference, because content is indexed to ur0. I have a 400GB micro sd in mine. it's no where near being full (maybe 130+GBs filled). however, empty or full, I don't think it will impact the speed of boot by much.

Hyrus likes this.
  10. 42
    Th3-J0k3r

Th3-J0k3r Member

Phat pch1003. 14.56 enso 3.65 64gig sd2vita running off sd2vita all plugins apps games ect ect Here

You'll find it's todo with phat to slim the difference

11. 140
    remlei

remlei Member

well my fat model really boots slower than my slim one but as soon as I plug a memory card on slim, the boot time is very comparable (25-30 seconds).

by means of memory card, I mean the official memory card, not the sd2vita.