PS3 Every time I turn on the PS3 I have to go to safety mod to boot it up

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by sautzer, Jan 20, 2020.

1. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

So a little background first, I have a PS3 Slim on Rebug 4.84.2 REX right now. I had this PS3 in my closet for years and on last december I decided to unbrick it. I followed the tutorial to get the CFW 4.85.1 running on. After that, I downgraded to the 4.82.2 REX and played some game without any problems with good temps (58°C CPU and 68°C RSX). The following week the PS3 didn't want to boot up, it showed the green light but nothing on screen. I then got to recovery mode and restart the system from there and again it worked flawless. Then one day it showed me the RSOD and I followed this guide but the next day the PS3 again didn't want to boot up and again I got to recovery mode and restarted it. After that I tried the Rebug RSOD fix and it seemed to work for a day (I booted it up three differnt time in one day and worked perfcetly). But then again it powered up, green light and nothing on screen but no RSOD. Until now I've tried to:
    - Restore filesystem
    - Rebuild database
    - 2 different RSOD fix
    - Reset PS3 settings

What could I do? Also notice that it doesn't immediately go to recovery mode but I need to try several times. Also I have the E3 Linker soldered but not connected to the E3 Board (I haven't a sata station and don't have the soldering skills to do something similar right now.

2. 637
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

these are NOT good temps, 10°C disparity between cell and rsx means the paste under the IHS is dried and needs replacing

as for the problem in your console it's only 3 possibilities

1) bad NOR (only for the RSOD problem, if it hasn't been fixed by rsod fix)
    2) bad PSU (unlikely)
    3) bad NEC/TOKIN caps (most likely)

3. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

First off, thanks you for helping me. Then I guess I have to delid it also if I never did something similar but I'm quite good at this kind of things. Then
    1) the RSOD problem isn't showed up yet since I used the rebug utility
    2) is there anyway I can test it? It seems strange it is because I can play for hours and have zero problems
    3) I didn't know that also the slim are affected by this caps, is there anyway I can test it? I have a multimeter in case

4. 3,340
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Home Page:
    Only CECH2000 model slims are affected by this as they still have NEC's on the RSX but have Tantalum's on the CELL.

CECH2100 + should not be affected by this as they have Tantalum's on both the CELL and RSX.

What model Slim do you have...?

The RSX is the easiest of the 2, I would only delid the RSX then monitor the temps. If they stay more of less balanced, or within 4 - 5* of each other, then it should be fine.

sandungas likes this.
  5. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

I have a 2504A and I was going crazy finding them , but now I know for sure that mine haven't it. And the RSX is also the one that run hotter, definitely will do it this weekend when I'll have more free time. Thanks you!

6. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

Today it showed again the RSOD, so the only to repair it is to change the NOR chip or what?

7. 637
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

yes, dump the existing nor using e3flasher or teensy, replace the nor chip, write the dump to the new nor and run RSOD fix

8. 895
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I'm sure it's getting to the point in time now where purchasing another ps3 second hand might be the cheaper/easier option than replacing a temperamental Nor chip.

Unless you actually want to go down that route (I like to try fixing things first before replacing them)

I can't find anywhere that sells nor flash chips either... So you might have some trouble purchasing one.

Check some local ads in your area for used ps3s. I have purchased quite a few over the past couple years that cost less than £10 (€12, $13)

9. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

Is there a way to fix the region vtrm manually in HxD for example?

10. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

I like too fixing things! So I think I'll go that route and maybe I'll buy a second system to be sure to continue to play. Could I ask where you find those cheap price? I'm in Europe too

11. 895
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    In the UK we have an app called Shpock (probably elsewhere also).

It is a "boot sale" app. You can make offers on items and strike deals with users.

One ps3 was a fat "sold as seen, doesn't read discs" I paid £5. Luckily the bluray drive daughter board was working, but the laser was dead. I installed CFW, changed thermal paste and that is my workhorse fat system for backups.

I bought a slim for £10, fully working, not a single thing wrong with it. No overheating. Not CFW compatible, but it taught me all about the HAN and HEN exploits.

One fat system I bought at an actual boot sale. £5, he said it sometimes comes on, sometimes doesn't. Bought to try the NEC/Tokin replacement fix. But my soldering skills are absolute pants, I think I broke it more lol

12. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

Yes we have it also in Italy but the price are a little bit higher. By the way I've found the nor chip on aliexpress searching for its serial, K8P2716UZC, they sell it in lot

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  13. 895
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Awesome.
    I highly encourage you to have a try. Open a new thread and document your process. It could come in handy for a future user.

A RSOD is common in cechL ps3 models.
    A quick search on the forums brings up a very informative post by @sandungas:

sandungas and sautzer like this.
  14. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

So the best thing to do is to disassembly mine ps3 and look for the exact same chip, in this way I shouldn't have problems with identifier. Am I right?

15. 895
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I'm afraid this is where my (lack of) expertise ends.
    I've never personally dealt with a cechL, or a RSOD. Hell, I haven't even used an e3 flasher, not even seen one personally lol.

Get comfy and wait for aother user more versed in the area to chime in with some info.

In the meantime, use the search function of the forum to try and find some info on what you need to do.
    And PSDevWiki is a great resource for software and hardware info's

sautzer likes this.
  16. 6,709
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Do you have flash dumps made previouslly to the problems ?, and new flash dumps made after the problems ?
    I dont know how to do it, but i guess there must be some way to see if your NOR is having random bad blocks... as far i remember the NOR chips have some kind of bad block preventions so is not supposed to happen... but dunno

But also you should consider power problems... a bad power line in the flash chip could make it run unestable and result in weird errors
    The motherboard have several "voltage regulator" chips, i guess NOR is feeded by one of them, but not sure which one, there is some info about them in this page
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:Regulators

*what i said about specific flash chips identifyers that could cause problems when replacing them... is something i mentioned just as a prevention to cover my back because im not sure

sautzer likes this.
  17. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

Unfortunately no, I have only dumps with RSOD. For the chip indentifyers no problem because seems that both the chips are easily foundable on aliexpress, so I'll stick with the one in my PS3 and be safe.

For the regulator, I don't know much about electronic, but if one is about to fail, why my PS3 is turning on and stay on also for hours without any problem? Anyway next week, after my exam, I'll start to check that regulator and delid the RSX as advice before.

On the PS3 devwiki is written that is raccomended to be on 3.15 - 3.55 with peek/poke like the previous 'FactoryServiceMode Tool v0.2 - The Non-Dongle Factory/Service Mode Solution'. The Rebug 3.55.4 CEX should do the work?

18. 191
    ElGris

ElGris Member

@sandungas Wouldn't be recommendable to see what's happening in the dump he has now? There's no way to try to fix it? Or try to install an OFW, or there're high chances of brick? Since he's saying everything started after installing a CFW.

@sautzer Before jumping to the "arena" and delid anything, first see if you can fix this RSOD problem via software, if there's any solution. Did you checked those dumps with any tool to see the damage?
    If you aren't able to fix it, you can try replacing the NOR chip as people said. You only need a dead motherboard you can get for a cheap price, there's no need to buy a complete PS3. You only need to see the correct model you have in your console, which is a Samsung or Spansion NOR, depending of which mobo model you have, JTP or JSD, just check this:

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/NOR

Also, you'll have to choose between two programmers, Teensy or E3 flasher. If you are not going to use it more than twice, better buy Teensy, but you'll have to solder a lot of wires. E3 flasher is easier to use, but is expensier.

Also, what happens if you use the PS3 for, lets say, an hour, and then turn it off for 5 minutes? After those 5 minutes It will turn on with no problem?

sautzer likes this.
  19. 89
    sautzer

sautzer Forum Noob

So my PS3 was sitting in my closet for years, when I turned it up it wasn't showing any video and couldn't get to safe mode so I restored the only backup I had.

Putting it in NOR Check tool and PyPS3Tool no error showed up. I tried several method but no one seems to work, that's why I was asking this:

I already have an E3 Flasher installed and working

Well, it works without any problem, also after some hours that it's turned off but not to much it seems, I've also changed the CMOS battery

20. 191
    ElGris

ElGris Member

@sautzer If the PS3 has random problems to turn on, and then it can run for hours, it seems that's a hardware problem, most likely in some capacitor, but that console has all tantalum capacitors, that's why this is a very weird behavior. The RSX and CELL need a lot of power to start to run correctly, that's why we have these problems on fats and some slims, but could be that one of those tantalum in your console are messing with the start up? Could be. Something that needs heat to work, time (for doing or not doing something), it's generally related to capacitors.

You could change them, that won't be expensive, but you need to explore other options before.