Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3HEN Extracted PKGs over FTP?

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by montcer, Jun 3, 2019.

1. 171
    montcer

montcer Member

Hello,

So, I have this bunch of PKGs and with the FTP implementation I want to overpass the PKG transfer / installation.

My question is, can I just extract these PKGs and place over the PS3 HDD through an FTP connection?

EDIT: I know I can place them in the hdd0/packages folder and then install it, but I want to bypass the installation as well. These are heavy PKG, and my goal is to reduce the waste of time at its maximum.

I am using WebManMOD and already tried to place an extracted game inside the hdd0/GAMES and hdd0/PS3ISO folders, and nor the program nor the PS3 recognize it as it doesnt appear anywere, Even if seek for the REFRESH option in the WebmanMOD.

I did a little search and it seems I can convert PKGs to ISOs, but that conversion and effort is what I want to skip ...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. 46
    Matthew Lobo

Matthew Lobo Member

Dump them on packages and install via package manager

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

3. 171
    montcer

montcer Member

Thanks for the suggestion! But I want to bypass the installation as well

4. 561
    lmn7

lmn7 Developer

You can do this but you can't place every pkg in one directory, most pkgs install to dev_hdd0/game... I have not encountered a pkg that installs to the gameS directory which is probably why you're getting issues.

Maybe multi/webMAN can mount PSN pkg games, I have not tried that, but if you can't get it to work you can FTP the pkg contents to hdd0/game and then rebuild the database. The games will show up on the XMB like they would if you had installed the pkg normally.

P.S the fastest way to install the packages would probably be mounting them through PS3NETSRV, I haven't done that either so you'll have to look at a tutorial for that.

montcer and Algol like this.
  5. 1,276
    Louay

Louay Senior Member

College student
    Home Page:
    just extract your pkgs and transfer them to /dev_hdd0/game/ there will be no limit like +4gb files or any thing just extract your pkg and transfer them usign FTP

jcorrea likes this.
  6. 2,570
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Games in pkg format> PSN Games, the EBOOT and SFO have HDD boot game flags so they go in game the same as install data and game update patches as the PS3 is not looking for a disc to boot the game. Disc games go in GAME and ISO format in PS3ISO> these format the EBOOT and SFO have Disc boot flags in them. and inculde all files that would be on the disc plus the lates updates of the game.

This is an intestesting idea to do this with pkgs, will have to try this out as transfering and then installing my backed up PSN content is driving me up the wall and for some stupid reason am getting an error on every game lol so the game wont boot and kicks me back to the XMB. Might try this way for the simplistity of it >transfer and install all at once basically.

montcer and Algol like this.
  7. 171
    montcer

montcer Member

Thanks to all for you answers! I am currently away from home, but I expect to be back in the next weekend and will give a try to each method!

8. 79
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

I don't think transferring unpacked pkg content over FTP is a good idea. Many games contain several thousand or even more files, and transferring them over FTP will take days.

The fastest way I've discovered so far, is to have a USB 3.0 SSD, copy PKGs to the SSD, and install from it on PS3. The transfer speed from PC to ssd, is around 300-400MB/s (if your PC has SSD, otherwise the mechanical drive will slow down the transfer speed to around 100-200MB/s) and the time it takes to copy over those PKGs can be ignored. The installation process on PS3, as I estimated, is around 10-20MB/s.

I also tried streaming PKG files over ethernet with webman mod, and it turns out even slower than transferring pkg to internal HDD and install from there.

9. 2,570
    Cypher_CG89

No it won't, I have done various tests regarding FTP transfer speeds. > 12GB in files (ie an exratcted PSN Game I did earlier to test) approx 30mins. 20GB> aprox 35>45 mins.

How is this days?

You could easily transfer a good 20 games in one day. And this goes for the pkg's themselve's, ISO format, folder format games ect.

EDIT: a USB 3.0 SSD is only good for the PC side of transfering. When you connect it to the PS3 you will be limited to USB 2.0 speeds and gain no meaningful increase in tranfer speed with SSD once connected to the PS3. Using SSD Drives on PS3's is completely pointless and a waste of time as the PS3's hardware is far to outdated to take advantage of SSD drives.

You want SSD compatability.... wait for the PS5. It comes with a SSD as standard.

10. 79
    xxxmarioxxx

xxxmarioxxx Member

Because that's game dependent. In your case, your unpacked game might only have less than 100 files, but if your game have tens of thousand small files, you'll see the difference.

I know you could get up to around 20MB/s over FTP on GB ethernet and I've been doing that for a long time. But that's only for transferring large files.

I didn't say there will be any difference whether you use a HDD or SSD on PS3 side, since the interface is USB 2.0 and the pkg installation speed I estimated is around 20MB/s. But you will see a huge improvement on loading speed and smoothness if you put SSD in PS3 as internal drive. Although the interface is SATA1 and the max transfer speed is capped, SSD provides far superior random access performance than a HDD.

11. 2,570
    Cypher_CG89

This is fiction, . You get a slight improvement. The hardware is to outdated and SSD were not even out when the PS3 was developed. So how can it have improved loading if it cannot utilise the vastly improved acress and transfer speed of an SSD.

You are limited to the hardware of the PS3. They maybe compatibl;e towork on older controllers but you will NEVER get signifcant increase on performance if the hardware its connected to is limited.

Its like saying if you connect a USB 3.0 device to a USB 2.0 port you get better speeds, it's BS. Not matter what it is you are limited to the capabilities and hadware of the device its connected to...... not the other way around.

12. 171
    montcer

montcer Member

I believe the bottleneck created by the several small files may be the result of the CPU answer capacity both in the computer and CELL in the PS3. Not sure, tho, but the PS3 Ethernet connection is totally able to handle 100 Mbps connection, which, I believe, should be enough from the computer side with a decent CPU.

I know that Resident Evil, for example, has several small files that makes something like 7gb. Will try the speed of that transfer with my i7 8750h and will post the results.

13. 171
    montcer

montcer Member

This method is totally AWESOME. It is without a doubt FASTER than the PKG intallation method.

The only sad part is that in order to force the PS3 to recognize the games, the database must be rebuild. Not sure if this have a negative impact, tho.

EDIT: In fact, I can transfer files while using the PS3, hahahaha, The HDD reaction time is noticeable slower, but it is better that stare at the screen while the PKG was being installed...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  14. 5,391
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Is because the "cache" (small flash storage), in a mechanical hdd there is a delay to access the data, fill the cache, etc...
    But in a SSD the cache fills instantly, in some way we could say the whole SSD is cache (is completly made with flash chips) :D

15. 2
    strelokcyka

strelokcyka Forum Noob

Sorry fam, it is game dependent, a game with 7500-10000 files will take 100x longer than a game with 50-200 files, there is no fiction, anyone with basic understanding of file transfers knows this, even more so when the transfer speeds are on a low end when it comes to PS3 hardware.

As for OP, the fastest and most efficient ways to deal with PKG installs
    • Either transfer your PKGs to the /packages dir and install via XMB
    • Or use Irisman to install via NTFS [more risk compared to the first option], however either way is a hell of a lot smarter, faster and less risk of issues than using FTP
    Trying to skip install processes will end in more hassle than it is worth.

16. 2,570
    Cypher_CG89

What I was saying had nothing to do with FTP tranfers. It was about using SSD on PS3s.

Obviously a game with more files will take longer to transfer....

Extract pkg on PC> transfer over via FTP> done. If it does not show up on the XMB if its a game or app then all you do is rebuild the databased and its done> no hassle.

EDIT: BTW I just did this with BO1 and 2 with all DLC and updates on my HEN PS3. And done this many time on both my CFW PS3s as well...

17. 2
    strelokcyka

strelokcyka Forum Noob

Ok thankyou for clarification, I know many people thing if something is the same size the transfer is the same regardless of file count.

18. 11,561
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

you can, yes. all that's needed for a pkg is the PARAM.SFO. you might get a warning that there's no EBOOT.BIN or ICON0.png, but they're not needed.