PS3 extracting EID Key from DECH-2500A?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by kuriatsu, Jun 15, 2019.

1. 13
    kuriatsu

kuriatsu Forum Noob

Hey all,

So, I am getting a DECH-2500A unit later today, and I had a question.
    I'll be backing up the drive as it may or may not have a prototype build of a game on it, I wanted to find an answer to this question....Is it possible to get the EID Key on a slim DECH-2500A yet? The individuals that I've been asking for assistance(who have been amazing) were unsure, so I figured I'd ask here.

Is it possible to get the EID key to decrypt the drive dump for a slim PS3 unit yet?

edit: I did check ps3hen, I did check a couple guides pages in that area, I did check around, I did google, but unfortunately, nothing was particularly clear. There was an app back in 2014, but it had a picture of a phat and mentioned no slim units, so I just want to be sure

And a second question: is it possible to rewrite the image back to the PS3 without decrypting the image file that serves as the backup if something happens to it?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-84-2-rex-d-rex-cobra-8-1-toolbox-2-03-02-mar-29th-2019/

Downgrade your unit to 3.55 DEX OFW, then install REBUG D-REX 4.84.2 and install REBUG TOOLBOX that comes with the FW,

Then dump your root key via rebug toolbox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kuriatsu likes this.
  3. 13
    kuriatsu

kuriatsu Forum Noob

Thank you very much :)

4. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

@kuriatsu And when will You do that, please send me Your ERK + 2MiB HDD dump. Thank You. ^^ This will help me updating the script for HDD and VFLASH Key generating script (currently missing are all DECR and DECH models).

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sdx of=/home/<you>/ps3hdd_minidump.img bs=2M count=1
    Where "sdx" is Your PS3 HDD (i.e sdb, check it by typing "lsblk") and "<you>" is your user account name (i.e "kuriatsu"). Both must be real of course.

If this is full dump, then for sure. I strongly recommend just simple sector by sector copy, as contents encrypted so You gain nothing with compressing, and also face the deal with often proprietary container (if You will use some commercial software for it; and BTW Acronis True Image failed me for some unknown reason to restore the file leaving me with useless unmountaible container). I also recommending using just simply "dd" or "gddrescue" which You can find in every Linux distro.

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sdx of=/home/<you>/ps3hdd.img bs=32M

And be caution on Windows because he ask for overwriting partition table (by stupid non informative way >> "initialize disk"). DO NOT agree for that.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. 13
    kuriatsu

kuriatsu Forum Noob

I can certainly do that, if I get those files of course.
    I have a linux computer that I got from a previous job so I can certainly do this without putting the drive in a windows computer.
    Windows is not the safest environment for this unfortunately :(

The specific steps I'll be doing are these:
    1. first, do a sudo fdisk -l to list the drives
    2. Find which is the PS3 one
    It should be /dev/sdx, with x being a letter
    (Take pictures as progression proceeds)
    3. then "dd if=/dev/<name of the drive> of=<path where you want to dump to go>.img"
    (if for input, of for output, don't mess this up, otherwise it'll write to the PS3 drive, check the text 5 times)
    4.supplementary: you can add status=progress so that you see what it's doing but it usually takes longer with that option.

Aside from the minidump thats 2MB, do you have any additional recommendations for commands?

6. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

You can do that way. I just wrote some mini tutorial just in case. ;)
    I didn't add progress parram as only new line of dd have it but of course it is good idea.

I added "bs=32M" to force dd caching read data by 32MiB chunks which would speed up the process (and if You know what is average write speed for target device You can increase that value i.e my SSD can read ~500MiBps and write 256MiBps so I can freely use bs=256M). This is of course doesn't very important, just cosmetics, You can omit it in full dump.

7. 13
    kuriatsu

kuriatsu Forum Noob

Thank you so much for your help :)
    I'll get it dumped to my drive asap, sadly it has not arrived yet. :(

8. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

Your welcome. Anyway, when I will check if I be to able decrypt Your dump (if seeds are the same, then 3rd option should generate for You proper keys), I will ask for further investigation to check if VFLASH key is proper (because vflash partition is far away than 2MiB and is encrypted twice). But don't worry, it is easy and You can operate read only on disk image mounted as loop device.

In exchange of this time consuming junk, You will learn how to get fully access to the PS3 drive outside her environment. ^^

kuriatsu likes this.
  9. 2
    reminon

reminon Forum Noob

Have you dumped the EID key and perfomed a nor/flash dump? If so, would you be willing to share those files?

10. 2,669
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    And why would you want a dump of someone's NOR Flash?

Sdw100 likes this.
  11. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

@Cypher_CG89 Maybe because he's looking unaware who give him on a silver platter valid IDPS. So @kuriatsu don't do this. ;)

- - -

@reminon Yes, he dump his DECH ERK.

If someone is curious: ATA and VFLASH keys are generated the same as for corresponded Slim models.

Cypher_CG89 and Sdw100 like this.
  12. 2,669
    Cypher_CG89

This is exactly what I thought.... was tryin to get them to drop themselves in the sh!t lol.

Yep, I know. I have been reading a lot of your work on being able to read PS3 HDD's outside of the PS3 environment.

Some else who's gender confused lol :-p It clearly says @kuriatsu is a women under the username lol.....:rolleyes::-p:D

Berion and Sdw100 like this.
  13. 2,190
    Berion

Berion Developer

Oh, right. Didn't notice. :D The scene is mostly a male sport so I blindly assumed... But this explain why she was so polite in messaging! :-p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    aldostools likes this.
  14. 2,669
    Cypher_CG89

To jest witryna hakerska PlayStation ... a nie serwis randkowy ... o_O:rolleyes::-p:D

Berion likes this.
  15. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Maybe she was just curious if it was dumped just for what @Berion was asking about. Some folks simply aren't aware that sharing a NOR/NAND dump can be dangerous. Though a true DEX IDPS are highly sought after being so few and far between.

I have seen folks ask questions about out of curiosity and I have also seen folks take advantage of those same users thinking sharing their dump to be helpful only to have their IDPS stolen.

At least the account and password aren't in plaintext like the PSP was. Love Sony but they do some dumb sh!t sometimes.

16. 2,669
    Cypher_CG89

They defo do... they can be really backwards at time's with the things they do. Its like they are inviting people to find the flaws in what they do.

My DECH4000 stays locked away lol, I rarely use it. And the SuperSlim DECH is a rare dev unit itself.

17. 2
    reminon

reminon Forum Noob

I meant nothing nefarious by it. I just figured a dev console with the same hardware as my retail console would be better than the one used in this guide for full retail to dev conversion.

https://www.consolehax.com/guides-ps3-dex/

I did not realize I was being sketchy as some of you seem to think. I simply thought it would he a cool side project to make a full dev console and use dex ofw. I did not realize that sharing it was dangerous, and am fine with using the files in the guide. My apologies.