PS3 Faster PSN speed with DNS / Proxy ?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by arcadekidflo, Jan 8, 2020.

1. 233
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

Is there any way to improve the PS3 download speed from Playstation Store ?
    Tried using Google DNS and it looks the same .
    I also read about installing a proxy on PC .

My country had PS Store since 2015 . I wonder if the content was put on local servers for download or kept only on some like UK , Spain , Germany ..etc . Servers abroad would explain the slow download speed of around 2.7 MB/s .
    But same link on PC goes to 10MB/s . I can't explain that . I don't think the limitation comes from the hardware .

Anyone had results improving speeds ?

2. 7,656
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Not really, I am not sure why it works or how it works, but it seems like there is some randomness to PSN downloads. On PS4 sometimes if you pause the download for a few seconds and start it again it gets much quicker, almost like you are connected to a different server.

With PS3 I don't know , you could try get the links for your PS3 content, and download it on PC.

3. 111
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

The speeds are just as bad here in Canada with a fiber connection. Most likely has to do with the ancient wifi chip in the PS3 not anything you can really avoid.

4. 233
    arcadekidflo

arcadekidflo Member

I agree Wi-Fi is slow but cable should be ok . I mean , when you FTP to the internal HDD the speed goes up to 11MB/s . So , that LAN connector and HDD are capable of handling this speed which i find very acceptable . I don't know the reason why a direct download is so slow . Must be related to why downloading the same link on PC is much faster .

Now , this is where the proxy idea comes up , if PC can download fast and the PS3 can receive fast , why not create a program that downloads and sends to PS3 ? All i could find is SKFU Proxy which does a great job untill it crashes with a runtime error . All i could notice is that it crashes when it reaches ~ 1 GB used from system memory . I have to try it on Linux .

There is also PS3.ProxyServer.GU by CF3B5 , which has the same crash issue .