FHDB PRE-CONF (FHDB Pre-Configured with ART and Emulators)

Discussion in 'Free MCBoot' started by imkira3, Jan 9, 2020.

1. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) Chillin like a Krillin
    Home Page:
    INTRO: Well, the name pretty much says it all. I made some updates to my OPL ART archive. Just a quick recap: I took the entire OPL Manager image archive, updated it a bit, removed extra screenies and background files and made sure every file was named in a format OPL can actually read. Since then I removed more duplicates/fluff, and fixed the name format on the BG files too. Since then I have added it to a FHDB installation, now you can install all the ART files in under 20 minutes! Not only that, I configured FHDB to play or emulate many different systems without installing a thing! I configured everything too, all you need to do is install FHDB with my image, copy some small configuration files to a memory card (8kb) and if you want to play PSX games you need to make a __.POPS partition/add some copyrighted files I couldn't legally include. (Details below.) I pretty much made FHDB setup as simple as possible for you guys, this started out as a mere USB recovery disc I can edit for the sake of an easy re-installation, (and it still is) but I figure I might as well share a public version with you guys. (Hence the "P" at the end of v1.0P) Now these aren't just any emulators I chose, I chose only emulators that meet a certain criteria. They needed to:

Run from the main menu (some wLE magic was involved)
    Load game backups from any pfs partition on the hard drive
    Support sub-directories
    Run entirely off the hard drive

That's why I included a +Roms partition and a +Saves partition. Some emulators do choose where to save their save files however, but all your game backups may be categorized by folder and on the hard drive in the +Roms partition. Please note that the emulators and apps I added were not created by me but seem not to be copyrighted either. There was a bios file that appeared copyrighted, but it was just an open-source remake. Here is a quick list of the systems this copy of FHDB PRE-CONF can play without adding additional apps:

2048 (RetroArch2048)
    Atari 2600 (PVCS Reloaded 0.3)
    Game Boy (InfoGB HDD Version)
    Game Boy Advance (TempGBA)
    Game Boy Color (InfoGB HDD Version)
    Nintendo Entertainment System (fceu-packed x.3.3 cdvdsupport)
    PS2 (OPL 1392 DB)
    PSX (POPStarter r13 RIP 06) (Must copy extra files first!) (The 2.0 has v20190605)
    Sega Game Gear (PSMS v0.4)
    Sega Genesis (PicoDrive v1.51b)
    Sega Mega Drive (PSMS v0.4)
    Sega Master System (PicoDrive v1.51b)
    Super Famicom (snes9x)
    Super Nintendo (snes9x)

I also put some handy programs in the __sysconf/Misc folder. Be careful with PS2 PFS Explorer, it's a handy program, but it has it's flaws. Don't create partitions with it unless you plan on using the mkfs command on it in pfsshell, and don't use it to manage partitions containing tens of thousands of files. Remember it's not even a 1.0 yet, but it's still handy. Here's a quick list of the programs I added:

CUE2POPS 2.3
    pfsshell 1.0
    PS2 PFS Explorer 0.7.0.26E.exe
    PS2 HDD BatchKit v0.1.2.7z
    HDDRawCopy 1.0

INSTALLATION: Installing this image is as simple as installing any FHDB image. I'll include a link to a youtube video at the bottom with instructions. All you have to do is exactly what he does in the video, with a few exceptions. First of all, I recommend you wipe your PS2 hard drive, just delete the partition and fill the whole drive with 0's. I used Minitool Partition Wizard for this. You should then scan your drive and fix any errors found if you can, but scanning the drive for errors is optional. Next, when he gets to the format section of the video, I do recommend you choose the 48-bit option if available in the drop-down list where it says "28-bit". If it's not available, don't worry about it, use 28-bit. Finally, when he chooses the 1.93 FHDB noobie package file, instead use the "FHDB PRE-CONF" file I provide here at the bottom of the page. After you do all that and boot into your PS2, run wLaunchELF, browse to hdd0/__sysconf/MC0 and copy all the folders to the root of the memory card. This card needs to be in the left slot when you run an emulator. (The memory card files contain settings files used by some of the emulators, you can skip this step if your not gonna use the emulators except for OPL.) Also, like I said before you do need some copyrighted files to play your PSX backups, and your PSX game backups need to be in a specific format with a specific naming style and located in a specific partition. I'll include a video with further instructions at the bottom of the page. Done! (If you encounter any errors, try repairing the filesystem with WinHIIP.)

WHAT IF I JUST WANT THE ART FILES?: I included those too, both in the FHDB image and in an ISO. I also included a no-ART version so you can selectively copy only the files you want to improve load times. Would you rather it load slower and have all the files, or load faster and copy only the files you want? Maybe only SLUS files for US users for example, or only the games you play? You will have to choose. I put the images on an ISO to make it easy for you guys because of all the problems I had backing these up onto a DVD with the proper naming format. Just mount or burn the ISO, and when you read it, make sure you can read the Joliet partition or the names of the files will be messed up. If you don't know what that means, just mount the image with VirtualCloneDrive or at least make sure the files are named properly before you copy them. I have tried all the best methods for copying the files, let me assure you PS2 HDD BatchKit v0.1.2.7z is the fastest way. I copied all these ART files onto an 8gb USB 2.0 drive in under a day. By comparison, all other methods take about 3 weeks (unless you feel like writing your own batch file) You could also try downloading the latest OPL Manager database but that's basically what this is, with fluff and duplicates removed and a updates from alternate sources, and I will be updating this in the future.

Good name format: ALCH_000.01_COV.jpg
    Bad name format: ALCH_000_01_COV.JPG

OUTRO: I was hoping to test the 2.0 before releasing it, but I no longer have access to a network adapter. If anyone tries it please let me know how it goes, but version 1.02 is working great. Before any of you ask, I will be creating alternative methods for installers in the future. This is too many files for FAT32 however so I will have to figure out what to do about that, and I can't do much updating for a month or two until the network adapter I ordered arrives. Well that's it guys, I hope you enjoy the release! If you have any ideas for future improvement's, please let me know. I am planning on making a 2tb version, though this method of installation seems somewhat restrictive in that regard so I will have to try another method. In the meantime, enjoy!

COMING SOON:

CFG, CHT, THM and VMC files
    App updates
    A new type of installer
    More emulators
    Drastically improved load times for the ART files

CHANGELOG:

v1.01P (1/8/20)
    Minor OPL settings change.

v1.02P (1/10/20)
    Added CUE2POPS v2.3

v2.0P (1/16/20)
    Updated FHDB to version 1.966
    Increased the size of the +Roms and +Saves partitions
    Now the image is much smaller, only about as big as the files on it as the extra space is properly emptied of data. Before it was bigger because originally there were more ART files before I removed more duplicates, but this is a complete rebuild.
    Various other small changes associated with upgrading FHDB. Basically anything that comes with FHDB 1.966 including apps is included here, though for the moment I changed the version of OPL available in the menu to one with a PSX tab. The elf is still there though if you want to change it back.

You can skip most of the steps in the second video, just take note of where to place the IOPRP252.IMG and POPS.ELF file, how to convert a .bin file to a .VCD file, the name format for your .VCD file and how to make a __.POPS partition on your hard drive to store all your games. And he doesn't say this in the video, but if you backed your games up to the wrong format, you can fix this by mounting your image with a program like VirtualCloneDrive and creating a new image file using a program like imgburn. Make sure to choose a .bin extension as CUE2POPS can only read files with a .bin extension.

FHDB PRE-CONF v1.02P (3.44gb)
    FHDB PRE-CONF v2.0P (3.01gb) (Untested)
    FHDB PRE-CONF v2.0WA (56.89mb) (Untested) (This version comes without ART files, for those who don't want art or wish to select art only for certain games. Image load times are a bit slowed by including lots of ART files, but not unbearably so.)
    OPL ART Files (2.98gb)

These installers will overwrite the first 8059.35mb of your drive. I doubt your hard drive is smaller than that, which is why they are so small.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    STLcardsWS, TnA, Algol and 1 other person like this.
  2. 896
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Well done buddy.
    This will deffo help some new users

3. 1,696
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Is there any list what apps\emulators are included in this package?
    I mean:
    PS2 -> OPL (DB or Ifcaro).
    PSX -> Popstarter \ PS2PSXe (I hope that files like POPS.ELF & IOPRP252.IMG for POPStarter are not included in this package).
    Super Nintendo -> SNES-Station MOD by pinguinoctis 0.2.6c \ SNES-Station v0.2.4S (09/06/2016) update by SP193
    Etc.

4. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    I listed the emulators in the list, if you had read the whole post you would know I didn't include copyrighted files such as POPS.ELF, and while I never specifically said there were no OPL apps, I did specify criteria for the emulators which suggested as much, and I quote:
    Other than all that, the ART files and my configurations, oh and a few app updates (wLE and OPL) it's pretty much a stock FHDB 1.93 image with all the usual apps. Or wait I suppose you meant the actual names of the emulators? Okay, one sec.

Code:
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_3 = 2048 Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_3 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/retroarchps2_2048.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_4 = Atari 2600 Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_4 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Atari_2600.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_5 = Game Boy Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_5 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/IHD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_6 = Game Boy Color Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_6 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/IHD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_7 = Game Boy Advance Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_7 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/TempGBA.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_8 = Nintendo Entertainment System Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_8 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/fceu-packed.x.3.3.cdvdsupport.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_9 = Sega Game Gear Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_9 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/PSMS.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_10 = Sega Genesis Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_10 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/PCD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_11 = Sega Master System Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_11 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/PSMS.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_12 = Sega Mega Drive Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_12 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/PCD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_13 = Super Famicom Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_13 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/snes9x.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_14 = Super Nintendo Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_14 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/snes9x.elf
    While I never kept an actual list, you can tell be reading the CNF. The ones who boot via wLE magic are pretty self-explanatory too, if you read the path. (PCD=PicoDrive, etc)

The CNF is easy to configure too, game loaders and emulators at the top, apps start at path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_50 and the usual stuff near the end of the list starts at path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_97 as per usual

I added the info you requested on the emulators to the original post. As for version info, they are all fully updated as of a few days ago. I couldn't give you the EXACT details as I just kinda threw this together for my bro, I never intended to upload it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Algol likes this.
  5. 1,696
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

My bad, sorry I've must skipped that part.
    Forgive me once again.

As for SNES are you sure that snes9x is good choice?
    I mean SNES-Station was a bit faster than this emu or there was some change recently (maybe I was testing quite old version)?
    Latest version that I can remember is from here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f176/snes9x-releases-76613/.

For Game Boy\Game Boy Color you used PS2InfoGB, because I don't know what "IHD" means?
    PS2InfoGB: https://web.archive.org/web/2015031.../forums/f91/ps2infogb-revisions-karasq-61166/.

Are you sure that "IHD" is for Game Boy Advance not GpSP:
    https://www.psx-place.com/resources/gpsp.687/.

What version of POPStarter you have in mind?
    13, RIP 06 or POPStarter_20190605 with updated USB drivers and few tweaks:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/popstarter.19139/.

As for PS2 you used Ifcaro or DB repo:
    https://github.com/ifcaro/Open-PS2-Loader,
    https://github.com/Jay-Jay-OPL/OPL-Daily-Builds.
    Because I'm not sure what only "PS2" means.

The archive "weighs" 3.44 GB, so it'll kill my transfer, that is why I'm asking all these questions.

One probably annoyest question, why you decided to use FHDB 1.93 instead of FHDB 1.966?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  6. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    I'll have to be brief, I'm headed out the door soon but I'll answer the rest of your comments later. I can make revisions before you download it if your gonna test it, I'm giving my bro back his NA tonight so testing will be the hard part.

Snes Station might be an option, but does it meet the criteria I mentioned the emulators in this pack must meet? I think I tried it, and it failed to live up to my expectations

IHD means infoGB yes, I made that list real quick with the CNF file so I'll revise it later

Woops I mixed the GBC and GBA ones up, TempGBA is for GBA, InfoGB for GBC, see the prior post in this thread with a snippet of the FHDB CNF file for more info

I used POPSTARTER RIP 06

For PS2 games I used OPL 10th anniversary edition, same version that was linked to in the YouTube video below. You have given me a lot to think about for adjusting this post when I get back, do you have any suggestions for upgrading the apps as well?

7. 1,696
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Which version you have tried:
    Quite old org SNES-Station 0.2.4, SNES-Station 0.2.4 with USB drivers changed by ffgriever?
    SNES-Station MOD by pinguinoctis:
    https://www.psx-place.com/resources/snes-station-mod-by-pinguinoctis.686/.
    Unofficial SNES-Station update by SP193:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/super-nintendo-snesstation-0-2-4s.10548/.

Try snes9x and e.g. SNES-Station updated by SP193 with few games and test which one is better.

Try POPStarter_20190605:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/popstarter.19139/#post-185608.
    This version should be more polished.

1. If for some way you will want to use OPL from Ifcaro repo, do not use for now 1406 rev, try 1392:
      http://psx-scene.com/forums/f150/op...ty-list-thread-156233/index7.html#post1219895.
      This repo do not have separate bookmark for PS1 games, but it should support apps normally.

2. As for PSMS, I don't know what version you using?
    3. PicoDrive you probably have in ver v1.13:
      https://www.psx-place.com/resources/picodrive-for-the-playstation-2-port.717/.

4. As for NES (FCEUmm-PS)...
    5. For Game Boy Advance (GpSP):
      https://www.psx-place.com/resources/gpsp.687/.

6. For Game Boy\Game Boy Color (PS2InfoGB) you probably used version 6c:
      https://web.archive.org/web/2015031.../forums/f91/ps2infogb-revisions-karasq-61166/.

7. There was also PSXVCD for converting PS1 CD images (BIN+CUE, etc) for POPStarter:
      https://www.psx-place.com/resources/psxvcd.669/.

8. Here is not RAW image, but a FMCB\FHDB 1.966 installer with most used app:
      https://www.psx-place.com/resources/fmcb-fhdb-noobie-package.721/.

9. Here is FMCB\FHDB 1.966:
      https://www.psx-place.com/resources/free-memory-card-boot-fmcb-free-harddisk-drive-boot-fhdb.712/.
    Currently you want to add only emulators or make it in some way ALL IN ONE package?

More emulators and homebrew can be found here:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/ps2-homebrew-dev-emu-scene/,
    https://www.psx-place.com/resources/categories/emulators.21/.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    TnA and Algol like this.
  8. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    SNES Station 0.2.6c Mod

I did test all those versions and I think I chose the best one, for the games I played anyway. MM2 runs great for example. It's too late for further tests until I get my own NA, as I gave my bro back his PS2. I can still make edits to the filesystem however.
    Okay cool, I'll forsure add that.
    Cool, but I rather like having a PSX tab, it's the entire reason I didn't update the OPL version that came with FHDB.
    I installed PSMS-Reloaded-0.4-bin.zip, is it worth updating? I will only update if it meets the criteria I specified for the emulators.
    PicoDrive-151b-113-bin is what the archive was called.
    Does it meet the criteria I specified? This pack is strictly for hdd0 programs. A few setting files can go in the memory card, but that's it.
    I used 6c yes.
    Is it any better than CUE2POPS? I already included CUE2POPS in version 1.02 which I'll upload soon, might make revisions first.
    Unless it's a raw image it's not an option. These raw image installers by nature can only install onto a drive bigger than the original drive. That's why I used a small 8gb USB for this project, so an internal hard drive installer is of no use to me, unless someone wants to be a BIG help and sent me a stock copy of FHDB 1.966 in a raw image smaller than 8 gigs. Replacing system files manually might be an option however, I'm looking into that. As for the emulators, I'm adding anything that works well and meets my criteria. If it's in the PSX-Place emulators section, I tried it already. This is not meant to be an All-In-One pack necessarily, I'm just including some of the more useful apps, like this one hard drive scanner app I found (HDDChecker) and as many emulators as I can, if they meet the criteria I specified above. I'll have to make a list of the programs I added to the menu someday, but I didn't really change all that much yet, I'm mostly focusing on emulators for now. For a more in-depth idea of what's included in this pack, just read this:

Code:
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_1 = Open PS2 Loader
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_1 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/opl.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_2 = OPLGSM 0.9.2
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_2 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/oplgsm092.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_3 = 2048 Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_3 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/retroarchps2_2048.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_4 = Atari 2600 Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_4 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Atari_2600.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_5 = Game Boy Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_5 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/IHD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_6 = Game Boy Color Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_6 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/IHD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_7 = Game Boy Advance Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_7 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/TempGBA.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_8 = Nintendo Entertainment System Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_8 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/fceu-packed.x.3.3.cdvdsupport.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_9 = Sega Game Gear Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_9 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/PSMS.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_10 = Sega Genesis Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_10 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/PCD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_11 = Sega Master System Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_11 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/PSMS.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_12 = Sega Mega Drive Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_12 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/Launchers/PCD/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_13 = Super Famicom Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_13 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/snes9x.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_14 = Super Nintendo Emulator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_14 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/snes9x.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_50 = wLaunchELF
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_50 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/boot.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_51 = GS Mode Selector v0.23x
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_51 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/GSM023x.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_52 = GS Mode Selector v0.36
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_52 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/GSM036.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_53 = HDLDump Server
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_53 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/hdld_svr.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_54 = MC Annihilator v2
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_54 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/mca_v20.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_55 = Simple Media System
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_55 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/SMS.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_56 = Codebreaker 9.2
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_56 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/cb92.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_57 = HDDChecker
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_57 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/HDDChecker.elf
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_97 = Free HDBoot Configurator
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_97 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/FMCB_CFG.ELF
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_98 = Reload Configuration
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_98 = OSDSYS
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_99 = Launch disc
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_99 = FASTBOOT
    name_OSDSYS_ITEM_100 = Power off PS2
    path1_OSDSYS_ITEM_100 = hdd0:__sysconf:pfs:/FMCB/poweroff.elf
    I never really mentioned this, but I also cleaned up the menu. All text/extra nonsense has been removed or hidden, right down to the arrows around the list in PS2Browser. Let me show you what I mean:

Code:
    OSDSYS_menu_x = 320
    OSDSYS_menu_y = 110
    OSDSYS_enter_x = 9999
    OSDSYS_enter_y = 9999
    OSDSYS_version_x = 9999
    OSDSYS_version_y = 9999
    OSDSYS_cursor_max_velocity = 0
    OSDSYS_cursor_acceleration = 0
    OSDSYS_left_cursor =
    OSDSYS_right_cursor =
    OSDSYS_menu_top_delimiter = y-99              c1r0.80r0.00y-00
    OSDSYS_menu_bottom_delimiter = c0r0.60y+99y-00r0.00
    OSDSYS_num_displayed_items = 7
    OSDSYS_Skip_MC = 1
    OSDSYS_Skip_HDD = 1
    OSDSYS_left_cursor = and OSDSYS_right_cursor = use a NBSP character ;) but that won't post correctly here. Add it yourself, they are quite the handy character in a variety of situations, wish OPL could read them so I could bypass the similar name up to 24 characters issue. (NBSP = ALT + 0160)

I think I might be able to boot FHDB in PSXE2 for further tests, but I do plan on buying an NA next month too. Might take another month or two to ship however, and theres no telling what problems I might encounter using an emulator to test other emulators, it's not a really great way of testing these emulators but for now it will have to do. From what I'm reading however I may be able to use the USB as a hard drive directly with this method, and THAT sounds handy. It might even be a good way of updating FHDB......

Looks good so far, I had some trouble running PCXE2 but I got an old version working, and I seem to be able to create a raw image from it, similar to dd or dd_rescue and use it as a virtual hard drive. So basically I can pick the size of my installer now! If I can install this onto my USB, and then make a new raw image from my USB and put it back into PCSX2 it will be just like using a physical PS2 for my tests, minus physically moving a hard drive, and plus the downside of it not being an actual PS2, but with any luck I should be able to test many of the apps now, and configure them too with greater ease and without waiting for my new NA! There is one problem, the plugin I'm using generates a raw image by gigabyte. 8 is too big, and 7 might be a little too small, but I might be able to mount it as a hard drive in a VM with write access somehow, or, I'm guessing if I copied a raw image of a formatted PFS filesystem with the right name to the right place it probably wouldn't format it again, at the very least it should hopefully stay the same size. A raw image of identical size to my USB would be so ideal it hurts. I mean, it's a legit physical drive so programs like pfsshell and PFS HDD Explorer can interact with it. I'll need to find some way to do that so I can copy the ART files again onto the updated FHDB image I'll create, though cutting the files in wLE is an option. It took 3 weeks last time.... but like I said, transfer speeds should theoretically improve, at least beyond the capabilities of the old IDE drive I was using lol.

I tried changing the size of the drive in the settings, and it didn't re-create the image! Yes, this is very ideal. I'm taking a break, but in a bit I'll see how far I can take this. But first some coffee, maybe some sleep. Dunno, this might be another all-night project.

Hmm, PCXE2 freezes when trying to load my raw image. I think I'll try something different this time, I have a few ideas in mind.

Hmmm it's very odd. I'm sure the raw image I created from my USB is exactly the same type as the raw image created by my PCSX2 Dev9 plugin, and HDDRawCopy can read them both, however I can't get PCXE2 to read the image from my USB. I should be able to clone the virtual hard drive used by PCSX2 to my USB however, but what's the point if I can't clone it back. Damn what a pain, I'll have to do all my copying with wLE, this is gonna take forever! Ah well, I should at least be able to update FHDB like this. Maybe I'll copy to the USB and then transfer the ART files last. Nah, first I'll see what I can do about mounting the image as a virtual disc with write access. First I'll focus on installing FHDB via PCXE2, assuming it can run the elf properly. But first I sleep.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Algol likes this.
  9. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    I am currently in the process of merging this pack with the latest version of FHDB. Should be ready in about 24 hours.

Might take a bit longer, the sysconf partition has a lot more files than the older edition

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    TnA likes this.
  10. 1,696
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Currently I don't have an access to HDD, so I can't tell.

From what I remember latest version of CUE2POPS is v2.3:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/popstarter.19139/.
    This version can be also copied into PSXVCD folder.
    Although I haven't use this app for a long time so I don't remember which folder exactly.

I'm not sure if I understand you... RAW images can be installed on a bigger drive than original...
    The same thing can be done from FMCB\FHDB installer (it supports up to 2 TB HDD).

Anyway I've notice that someone send you FHDB 1.966 raw image.

TnA likes this.
  11. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Hopefully I can test that in PCSX2, if not I'll get to it when my new NA arrives.

Hmmm interesting, I'll look into that, I'll definitely be updating that in my next upload. I'll also be including a WOA (without ART) version too. I think I'm gonna message Project Phoenix Media, he seems to be a big hit with PS2 videos on YouTube, I'm sure he would love to do an updated FHDB video as his last raw image install video was with FHDB 1.93 and came with no ART files. First I want to edit this a bit though. Finish updating the OS and stuff.

Yeah, that's what I said lol, that's why I needed an image made on a drive smaller than my USB. And yeah I got the image now. As for the FHDB installers, like I said I have no network adapter atm. I was using my brothers while I worked on his OS, but on my USB so as to make a recovery disc for him. Then I uploaded my work, and here we are lol.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  12. 1,369
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

imkira3 likes this.
  13. 18
    Versatile

Versatile Member

Props to op, glad to see ps2 still alive and kicking!

And in regards to those 2 videos you linked, there is no way I can cover everything as there is so much stuff to remember and keep track of. Glad you got other tips for everyone and discuss stuff that is obvious or not. :0

14. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Oh cool, I was hoping you would see this. Wanna do a video tutorial when I finish updating to the latest FHDB?

15. 18
    Versatile

Versatile Member

Definitely

unseen, TnA and imkira3 like this.
  16. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Thanks, I'm not much of a YouTuber myself, and I have seen your videos. Love your work man, I'll message you when it's finished

unseen and TnA like this.
  17. 397
    imkira3

imkira3 Member

Home Page:
    Well guys, I made tonnes of updates and just spent an entire day checking my work, and an hour adjusting my post. I think it's a rather informative and detailed post now, but still quite user friendly which was the goal. I'll be updating the apps more in the future, and the ART, but for now make do until my new network adapter arrives so I can actually test the next version before releasing it.

Hmmm I was gonna post alerts and a changelog when I update this to an update thread in the PS2 news stand, but I don't see an option to post. Do I need special permission or something?

@Versatile I think it's ready for a video tutorial man, but like I said I can't test it yet. I made posts at psx-place and gbatemp searching for people to test this, but so far nobody has offered. It might be fun being the first guinnie pig in space so to speak lol, anyways if you do try the 2.0 please let me know how that goes, after an entire day checking my work I'm quite sure everything should work great. I know the 1.02 version works swimmingly, but it uses FHDB 1.93 while the 2.0 is updated to FHDB 1.966

Oh, I see your edit now. Guess I'll see if MrMario wants to do a video if your sure you don't want to. If I were you I would try breaking up and joining together scenes for your longer videos onto parts with a key frame editor like Machete. I don't do much video editing, but when I do I always do individual scenes linked together losslessly, then maybe some smart rendering for frame accurate cuts, and finally the effects. It's the best way to cover longer videos. I find programs like Premiere Pro encode the scenes on a whim, lossless is best whenever possible, especially when your only linking individual clips.

I'm currently working on VMC support. I'm taking an interesting approach, if this works VMC support will be added for all games of all regions except those that specifically don't work at all with VMC.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Neal Cullum likes this.