PS2 FINALLY! ALL PS2s (incl. TV) HACKABLE! ANOTHER DISCLESS EXPLOIT!

Discussion in 'PS2 Homebrew' started by TnA, Dec 3, 2019.

1. 1,507
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "only folder on the MC".

I've tried this exploit on my 3rd party 64 MB MC with "tons" of saves and everything was fine.
    You just can't let all icons at PS2 MC Browser to load.
    E.g. if you have 3 icons, don't let 3rd one to load by pressing "O".

TnA likes this.
  2. 2,314
    Berion

Berion Developer

Maybe there is some connection with read speed and/or page/block size and/or file fragmentation?

TnA likes this.
  3. 274
    VTSTech

VTSTech Member

Home Page:
    hmm. I was only trying with 1 other "save", an additional folder with apps, what i was gonna try next was just copying a bunch of apps to the folder itself.

I did let it definitely load all icons, when it was only icon, it still launched elf.

4. 1,219
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Just enter and back out quite fast again!
    Try to exit, when the 2nd icon has been loaded and the 3rd is about to pop up! ;)

I can't wait for a documentation! :)

Regarding the Thread-Title... Should I change "Softmod" to "Exploit"?

I understand that softmodding and exploiting might need a disc, to start or install SOMETHING, but this thing doesn't need any disc to start Homebrew!

5. 45
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

I just tested it with my 90004 with FW 2.30 and yes, it works. :)

kenan1098, ted209, TnA and 2 others like this.
  6. 1,507
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

For me it could be even
    HEN = Homebrew enabler or
    HEL = Homebrew Launcher.

Theoretically exploit will fit:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_(computer_security).

Softmod = software mod, it could be something like CFW for PS3 or FMCB for PS2,
    when it will loads automatically after turning on console.

Algol likes this.
  7. 1,219
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I even made/wrote a German thread about a technical and terminological definition of Exploits, Jailbreaks, CFWs and so in... --> https://psxtools.de/index.php/Thread/75709-Exploit-s-Erklärung-für-Anfänger-und-Fortgeschrittene/

The Softmod can include multiple things, like the Noobie-Package and the Install-Method! The Exploit is just the bare bone Vulnerability + Payload + what is additionally needed to start it/code (in this case an MC, but not a CD)!

I change it to "Exploit", because that IS discless and hopefully stirrs less confusion!

However! I will let the "discless" in the title, because I think most people will understand that this is not just another swap trick or another help-thread, but a true new Exploit even by the technical definition, whereas FMCB is much more than just the MagicGate-Signing-Exploit it is based on...!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    jolek likes this.
  8. 1,507
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

It can be even:
    "Fortuna. Another exploit for the PS2".

9. 1,219
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I think the people should understand the impact of this Exploit (and your proposal would make it seem like "Just another Exploit... One of many... Nothing special!... "Nothing to see here! Go somewhere else!...")

It can run on pretty much every PS2, even those which do not support FMCB, FHDB, Independence Exploit, etc., like some DTLs!

Sooo... It deserves some more props! ;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    VTSTech likes this.
  10. 159
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

Now we just need a DVD Player exploit...

If it is runnable in PCSX2, it would make fuzzing it easier. There is krhacken's cracked DVD players, but I'm not sure if it runs in PCSX2.

11. 1,219
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

You mean something like a specially crafted Video-DVD, which can simply be burned and used to exploit the PS2?!

Even though I think that this will be quite hard - if not even impossible - to accomplish, I'd say "never say never"! The last 4 days have brought up 3 new BIG Homebrew-Releases (DaedalusX64 @belek666, psEXE-Loader @krat0s, new discless exploit) + some test-ELFs from @VTSTech!

There are still quite some "unreached goals" regarding the PS2, but FINALLY ALL PS2s are hacked (DISCLESS!!!)! FINALLY! CHAPTER CLOSED!AT LEAST THAT ONE...

Yes, I love the PS2 and the Homebrew-Scene so much, that I care so much about this!
    This is also not just about "piracy", but really a new Entry-Point!

If it were for piracy... It couldn't get too bad... The percentage of modded consoles will probably not even "scratch" the 10% yet... Maybe 8% and I suppose that's already above the true amount! There are probably as many PCSX2-Users out there, like those which use a PS2 for this!

@STLcardsWS or #Team: Can you PLEASE put it into the news in the "portal"/main-page?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
  12. 274
    VTSTech

VTSTech Member

Home Page:
    I got it to execute in PCSX2. Using 'Folder Mode' type of Memory Card. uncheck "Automatically manage saves based on running game". Copy 'FORTUNA' folder into newly formatted memory card. Works.

TnA likes this.
  13. 1,219
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Yes, it should technically work on EVERY PS2!

That includes the TV, the late PS2-Models with BOOT-ROM 2.30, the Tools/DTLs and so on...!
    It also includes EVERY PS2, which doesn't support support FMCB, FHDB or Independence Exploit, like some DTL(-H)s!!!

But... It has to be adapted "per BOOT-ROM-Version"!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Algol likes this.
  14. 7,626
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Nice to see that all PS2 model are now hackable thru Memory Card exploit. We were waiting 11 years for that! Finally late PS2 models get homebrew enabler that don't require any other hardware to run!
    Amazing work krat0s!

STLcardsWS, TnA, Algol and 1 other person like this.
  15. 62
    Agrippa

Agrippa Member

Wonderful job done! Is it the right time to get rid of the all modchips left, isn't it? Better late than never. ;)

Algol likes this.
  16. 2,314
    Berion

Berion Developer

@Agrippa Modchips will always will be the best solution because they always be launching every game from every type of supported media - this is beyond any exploit capabilities (at least today). However, for only homebrew purposes or countries where modchips are illegal, then FMCB/FHDB are the best and always will be ;), additionally from now on unsupported models (i.e those with disabled OSD Update function) leader is no doubt Fortuna (in future, maybe Fortuna would launch hacked OSD).

Fortuna also could be another potentially entry point on PS3 (did anyone tried escape from ps2emu?). :D

Anyway, FMCB provide also fancy OSD hack and USB support on start, where Fortuna is one time launch and only one application. It is great discovery, easy to use but still far less functional than FMCB. Both are different solution, for different environments and needs. Both awesome.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    RandQalan likes this.
  17. 62
    Agrippa

Agrippa Member

No, modchips are a thing of the past. With their dirty BIOS and MECHACON patching, not to mention cheaply made clones. Of course it is true that without modchip there is no way to authenticate a CD disc, but these games are compatible by OPL or majority can be converted to work in ESR. Optical disc usage is declining, console laser lenses are dying, the quality of DVD-R discs leave something to be desired, so launching games from the USB/SMB/HDD is the way to go.

We are able to exploit Sony's official OSD update mechanisms, the MG keys are known, etc. With this level of knowledge back in 2001/2002 modchips would have been a niche.

18. 410
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

Well did you escape on any PS3 models you own if so what CFW and MODEL would help maybe we can increase compt for non BC PS3 hoping yes I know probably not possible.

19. 7
    deba5er

deba5er Member

@Berion, on my SCPH-90001 2.30 I was able to use Fortuna to install FMCB (which won't boot on 2.30 but supplies the hacked OSD), then I replaced the Fortuna uLE BOOT.ELF with HWC's OSD Launcher ELF renamed as BOOT.ELF. It gives the same menu I am used to on the earlier PS2 models with FMCB, but it still drops to browser (at the memory card entry point) to reload Fortuna with X...O.O which then jumps right back into the FMCB menu. So not perfect, but I don't have to get up from my chair and can use OPL-SMB (with IGR), SMS, uLE as I am used to.
    I did use two MCs with Fortuna because I kept messing one up with the datestamp on the directories, but that was because it was my first time setting this up.

@kratos - You've done a great thing!

20. 1,219
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Just replace the BOOT.ELF with HWNJ's OSDSYS-Launcher and it starts FMCB, if it is installed! ;)

Edit: @deba5er was faster!

Edit.2: Change the FMCB-Settings to not jump into the inner browser! ;)

RandQalan likes this.