First Time Jailbreak, a few questions before I start

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreaks / CFW' started by batdan, Feb 8, 2019.

1. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Hi all,

Been reading as many resources as I can before starting the jailbreak process, I'm a total noob and would appreciate some help before I start. I'm currently on 4.81 and plan to manually update to 4.82 to install CFW on a PS3 slim.

I don't want to risk a ban of my main PSN account and don't plan on going online with this PS3, as least on my main account. I'm also planning on installing a new hard drive into the system, so I'm really wondering what the best approach for all of this would be. My questions:

1. Should I deactivate my PS3 on my Sony account, create a second account through Sony on a PC, and use that going forward when starting the jailbreak process?
    2. Whether or not I use a new hard drive, should the hard drive be formatted on a PC and then inserted into the system for a clean slate/install? While everything from my main account is currently installed on the system, I don't really care to make a backup since I would be using CFW for emulation mostly
    3. I'm unclear whether the PS3 needs to be activated (again) once I format everything. If so, I understand there's still a way to do it on 4.82 using PSNproxy, is that correct?

Basically, I really don't want my main account to be banned or even have the possibility of a ban, since I have way too much paid content. If someone has a better suggestion on how to approach this, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

odin82740 likes this.
  2. 516
    kadorna2

kadorna2 Member

1) not necessary but you can do if you want to. You'd have to activate it under another account if you want to have a way to activate psn content in the future though, so just leaving your main account there would be a better option, you are not going online anyway so the ban risk is non existent
    2) just drop a new hdd in there, the console will force you to format it anyway
    3) account activation is only relevant to han users, don't worry about it

Also, it'd be nice to know your console model and base firmware (use minverchk) just to get confirmation that you are indeed able to install cfw and not ruin your console by mistake

3. 91
    xXxPiKaChArUxXx

xXxPiKaChArUxXx PSX-Place Supporter

point 2 eliminate point 1

replacing an HDD will wipe everything accounts, contents, licences, DLC, games, themes, saves etc.

if you are on a hackable console and youy are changing your HDD just for a bigger one then you should go ahead and change it the PS3 will format it anyways. and will ask you to install its current FW.

jailbreak the console (assuming you are on 4.82)

install CFW 4.82

update to 4.83 ferrox

before anything just sign in with your credentials. ( that way you will have an account in case you need one at some point)

proceed with your emulations plans

batdan likes this.
  4. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Thanks for the advice guys. Question about the comment re: activating psn content in the future, are you referring to psn content that I already own or content I might want to purchase in the future? Btw I'm on one of the first revisions of the PS3 Slim, CECH 20xx (I'm not near the console at the moment), although I'll still make sure to check the minimum version before proceeding.

If I do replace the hard drive, will it ask me to update to OFW 4.83? If so, I could probably just leave the existing HDD inside and live with the low storage as I understand 4.83 can't be jailbroken.

Would signing in after/before jailbreaking won't result in a ban? Would the system not be reported to Sony as a jailbroken console? I'm sorry for the really dumb questions and I really appreciate the help!

Edited to add: If I decided to use Movian to stream some media, would I have to be logged into an account or take the console online? Basically I'm not sure if maintaining an internet connection reports everything to Sony whether or not I'm signed in. Just an example of something that happened to me, I was playing a PS Vita game completely logged out of my PSN account (but with Vita connected to internet), and the Vita still reported to Sony which game I was playing. Caught me a bit off guard, hence the paranoia lol.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  5. 91
    xXxPiKaChArUxXx

xXxPiKaChArUxXx PSX-Place Supporter

both, also if you want to use psn patch to enable some raps or all that stuff it need an account. or you could use reactpsn and stay totally ofline to sony servers

it will ask you to install your current FW. if you are in 4.81 it will ask you for 4.81 if you are on 4.82 will want 4.82...
    the opinions of many users about this vary,
    some say they dont use any tactic to try to fool PSN and have never been banned, and they can sign in just fine without anything else,
    others says had been banned just for jailbreaking (i really doubt this)
    what is true people hacking online modding online and cheating online result in a ban, its ovbious that this behavior its againt TOS, add the people who reported them for cheating online...

i say after the jailbreak and before starting anything else, sign in, that way your console is semi clean, also you are not doing anything else online in sony servers

im on CFW since the begginning
    9 years now. have never modded online or cheated online,
    at first my history was sent to sony if i played a homebrew game sony knew. but had never gotten a ban.
    now this days you have psn patch and even the R2 + triangle combo in webman to delete syscalls and your history, with this you should be fine
    and its ovbios if you jailbreak and never signed to PSN they wont ban your console.

batdan likes this.
  6. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    No, you will asked for the FW version your currently on or higher. But i would install 4.82 before replacing the HDD just in case of any issues. You could replace the HDD then do the recommended install of 4.82 OFW twice at the same time > Replace the HDD > the PS3 will format it > then it will ask you for the FW as it is a NOR model PS3 > Install 4.82 OFW > Disable the Internet connection for the PS3 and make sure there are no discs in the BD Drive > once done install the FW again via the recovery menu > then complete the steps to installing the exploit for CFW.

You will need the account the content was purchased with on the PS3 if you wish to download it again or purchase more once you have installed CFW. But once downloaded you could just setup another PSN account if you wanted to use the content online, and not use the one linked to the content, this would keep that account safe in case of a ban > You will lose access to PSN and will not be able to download it again. As well as most likely the PS3 itself being banned from PSN as well, but at least your main account would be safe and your purchases if you use a " throw away account ".

No you do not need to be logged into PSN to use this, this app has nothing to do with PSN and is a Homebrew app.

If this is the model and not a CECH25*** then it is more or less guaranteed to be jail-breakable with a possible min FW ver of 2.70. This is what both my CECH2003A's are, first model slims.

Nothing you do on an exploited PS3 is risk free, there are measure's and apps to reduce the risk but will never be 100% risk free. One thing you could do is disable the PS3's internet connection when you don't want to be online, this way nothing can happen accidentally to cause a ban.

With regards to PSN itself as long as your not doing anything a regular PS3 couldn't do, ie modding and such while online gaming, and just playing normally you will reduce the risk a bit of the PSN servers flagging your activity, also using things like PSN Patch to disable the " syscals " before signing into PSN ( One of the main ways [email protected] can detect the CFW on your PS3 as these communicate with the PSN servers) and this app will also clear your PS3's history log witch shows what you did and when on the PS3, what games you played, apps used and such.

But just to be clear nothing you do will be 100% safe when online on CFW.

batdan likes this.
  7. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

You can get banned from PSN for this, as this is also against the TOS. One of the emails I have seen from someone who got banned but never modded had this in it "Illegal software has been detected on your PS3 system, this is a violation of the TOS". This was for the CFW on the PS3 and also presumable the homebrew apps that would of been detected as well in the console history. I think he's logged in a few times without disabling the syscals to be honest as he never mods.....unlike me lol and have not been banned in 5 years of modding.... just been lucky with that I think.

8. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Thanks for all your help guys. I just checked the model number and it is CECH2003A, so it looks like this may be a NAND model. Really appreciate all of the help, I feel a lot more comfortable starting the process now. From the sounds of it, I should leave my PSN account on the system and still create a burner account, just so I have my purchases accessible at the very least.

I hope to get started on this some time over the next few days, I'll make sure to update if I'm successful lol.

Thanks!

9. 563
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

It's a NOR model; all slim model PS3s are NOR. This is very important when it comes to patching the flash, as patching with the wrong memory type could cause a brick.

Read Hacking the PS3 thoroughly. Don't miss anything out and follow every step carefully; everything that's in there is there for a good reason so following it carefully and to the letter is the best approach to avoid any mistakes or potential problems arising. Hope this helps. :)

batdan likes this.
  10. 788
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    Only CECHA/B/C/E and the first batch G its NAND, after the CECHG (2nd Release) and onwards are all NOR

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  11. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Wow I thought I read this frontwards and backwards enough times to have got that right, I'm going to have to read it again. :S

Thanks!

12. 563
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

You're welcome. It can be a lot to take in all at once, but digest it in your own time and don't rush it, and I'm confident you'll get the hang of it. :)

batdan likes this.
  13. 788
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    Little details make a big difference lad, since you are using a CECH-2000 Series, your model its NOR, to summon up NAND Models stored the firmware files within the flash memory 256Mb to be precise, Sony went with the cheap route with the 2nd Batch CECHG Models (40/80Gb) after 2008, thus switching to 16Mb NOR Memory, where partial if not all firmware files are stored within the HDD, making it HDD dependant.

batdan likes this.
  14. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Hey guys, so I went through with running the exploit, followed all the steps and installed 4.82.2 REBUG. Not sure what happened, but I installed Rebug Toolbox and when I try to boot, all I get is a black screen.

Additionally, the bluray drive doesn't seem to be working anymore, as I can't even insert a disc into the system (it was working perfectly fine prior to running the exploit). Does anybody have any ideas how to troubleshoot?

15. 788
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    You need to install a NoBD Version of Rebug, in order to bypass the BD Drive check, from 2500 Series onwards, even if the BD Drive fails, the daughter board its integrated within the mainboard, from CECH-2100 and backwards all BD Drives are daughterboard dependant, meaning if the BD Drive fails, no homebrew or application will launch,leading to a black screen ;)

batdan likes this.
  16. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Thanks! I installed the NoBD rebug and I can get into the toolbox now. Going forward, does this mean the BD drive will no longer work properly? I still can't insert a disc into the system.

17. 788
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Graphic Designer
    After you installed a NoBD Firmware, you can use any homebrew at your disposal,since now you are not restricted by the BD Drive, now to remedy the situation if you want to use the BD Drive again, you will need to buy a new deck, a compatible one, and remarry it via FSM.

Remember BD Drives vary from model to model, revision to revision, so be sure to do some deep digging around the SKUs to find your particular BD Drive ;)

batdan likes this.
  18. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Probably not worth the effort lol, it's too bad since I have a fair amount of disc games lying around. Appreciate all the help guys!

19. 1,636
    Cypher_CG89

Did the BD Drive work before you jailbroke the PS3?

20. 12
    batdan

batdan Forum Noob

Yes it did, I was just playing a disc game yesterday and even ejected the disc before starting the whole exploit process. Feels like running the exploit might have borked something.