PS2 Flicker filter

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by Carloss, May 20, 2020.

1. 10
    Carloss

Carloss Forum Noob

I love to see that damn flicker filter disabled just like in silent hill 3, tekken 5 etc...makes all the difference on a 480i crt

the thing is, almost nobody even understand what is it or just dont care

soufian elamriti likes this.
  2. 831
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    There's no hardware option for "flicker filter" in the GS. So what is it really? I once asked about this before and understood this to be caused by the half-pixel offset trick that is used to improve the vertical resolution under an interlaced video mode. If you want to "turn off" that, good luck with hacking the game's code to not do that since it is part of the rendering process (and how they planned to use VRAM). It is definitely doable, but the procedure may have to be tailored for each game. Similarly, it's going to be equally challenging to get a game to do this, for the guys who want to move in the opposite direction.

3. 10
    Carloss

Carloss Forum Noob

well, there's also the "display back buffer" codes that works on some games and get rid of all the blurriness... there a code like that for the first jak and daxter on the "no interlacing codes" for pcsx2

4. 21
    ted209

ted209 Member

There has been a lot of work on this over here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-No-interlacing-codes
    As you say, it needs a different approach for each game. Some of the codes in this thread work on real hardware (definitely Enthusia does), but many don't.
    I'd love to see more done on this, but it's clearly not easy!

5. 10
    Carloss

Carloss Forum Noob

no interlacing codes has nothing to do with flicker filter.... no interlacing codes are only useful on console for 2D games that use bilinear filter or 480i resolution

6. 915
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I didn't noticed Tekken 5 has a flicker filter. On SH 3 you can disable it in the option menu.

I noticed a thing when playing FFX. It have a flicker filter a light one, not heavy as FFXII (differently from FFX though, it can be deactivated).
    GSM can disable it (no need to change video mode. i.e. I have the international version so it's NTSC. I just enable GSM with NTSC video output and the flicker filter is completely gone. Tested it with the PAL version too, same result).

I don't remember if it's the same with every game (most games I have seems to not have a flicker filter btw).

Algol likes this.
  7. 10
    Carloss

Carloss Forum Noob

you can disable flicker filter in the options in tekken 5.. just like in sh3

GSM can disable flicker filter if you force 480p, the regular NTSC mode will not get rid of it... right? nintendon't on th wii can disable flicker filter if you force NTSC mode... god bless nintendon't.... and OPL and the devs of course

jolek likes this.
  8. 915
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

You're right about Tekken 5, I've just disabled it since the day I bought and started the game and forgot that option.

No you don't have to force 480p. I have the Ps2 connected to a standard 4:3 Tv with Scart-RGB cable (only SD formats are supported: 480i/576i).
    Just enabling GSM disable the flicker filter. Probably it works with every game, not sure. If you're enterested in some particular games maybe i can test it (I have most Ps2 games worth playing).

Good to know about the Wii.

The flicker filter was a sore on the original Xbox. Connecting it with a Scart-Rgb cable (best possible connection on a SD TV) every game enabled a tremendously heavy flicker filter that hugely blurs the image and false the colors.

Btw is a problem easy to solve since soft-mod is out. You can patch the games xbe (is the executable) with FlickerF****r to change the games filter setting (by default is set to max. 5. Best thing is to get down to 0). XBMC (a modded dashboard) can even patch games on the fly but is not compatible with some games.

Once the flicker filter is off is like a difference between a 240p video and a 720p one.

Algol likes this.
  9. 10
    Carloss

Carloss Forum Noob

im pretty sure the NTSC mode wont disable the filter, or maybe the PAL to NTSC conversion is doing something weird...

bought an og xbox a couple years ago for the emulators and stuff but it looked horrible because it does not support 240p, wish i knew about the flicker filter app...

10. 915
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

AFAIR isn't a matter of conversion (you can use PAL with a PAL game or NTSC on a NTSC game, you just need to enable GSM). However I'll check it. If there's one particular game you'd like to know if it works tell me. I'll check if I have it.

I have it with tons of emulators and games (I put a 1tb 2,5" SATA III HDD into it). What do you mean it doesn't support 240p? All emulators can add the scanlines if you like them.

Flicker filter is embedded into Xbox games executable. On homebrews like emulators you can disable it in their options menu.

About Xbox games, the flicker filter is automatically disabled in progressive mode (you need the component cable for this). But you need to patch the xbe for removing it in SD video mode

Here in PAL territory was a shame, since in PAL Xboxes you couldn't enable HD modes (they doesn't appear on the dashboard menu). I don't remember if there is the option for progressive scan (480p), I think not. But even if there is you can't output PAL games in progressive scan 'cause their xbe (executable) don't support it. You need to replace the xbe with the USA counterpart (or patch the PAL one).

This problem too is completely solved with softmod. Indeed the PAL consoles limitation is just a software one, all Xboxes are the same. There's an application that allow you to switch your PAL Xbox to a USA one in one click (so you can select HD resolutions on the dashboard).

Algol likes this.
  11. 915
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Checked a couple games. I think it depends on game, probably they implement the flicker filter in different ways:

- FFX international: this is a NTSC game. I set GSM to NTSC and the flicker filter is completely gone

- FF XII ZJS: another NTSC (J) game. I tested it on purpose since it has a flicker filter On/Off in option menu. Just enabling GSM (I set NTSC mode) removes the flicker filter. Indeed you can turn it on/off in the game's menu and won't see any difference. The flicker indeed is quite noticeable (I play on CRT), but sure is better than having washed out colors.

- Tekken 5 (PAL). On this game the flicker filter seems to override GSM, differently from FFXII.

jolek and Algol like this.
  12. 10
    Carloss

Carloss Forum Noob

there you go

try patching a game to run in 240p then enable NTSC on GSM...you can try with ICO since is running at 240p

13. 915
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

You mean patching Tekken 5 to 240p?? I never tried GSM with ICO ('cause it already has a PAL/NTSC selector).

I remember having problems using GSM with Devil may Cry 1 and I think The Bouncer. I thought they output some strange resolution.
    However I think we're going O.T. Better to continue on GSM section.

Algol likes this.
  14. 2,125
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

soufian elamriti and Peppe90 like this.
  15. 127
    soufian elamriti

soufian elamriti Member

if possible at flicker filter to opl gsm setting ! just like the og xbox has with xbmc etc !
    iam playing on a 1701 monitor