PS2 FMCB/FHDB v1.9 series release thread

Discussion in 'Free MCBoot' started by sp193, Apr 8, 2017.

1. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

A lot of modchip apply patches to the OSDSYS - to enable specific features (like burned discs, changed VMODEs, or whatever...) - and those might interfere with FMCB/FHDB's patches.

Sometimes you only need to disable a modchip-feature like 'Macrovision', but that is also dependent on the Modchip, the installed/used Firmware and the FMCB/FHDB-Version.

Regarding your last point... Well, there are some modchips, which simply do not disable themselve 'fully' and 'properly'.

jolek likes this.
  2. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

Regarding 'burned discs'... I solely mean the automatic disc-type-recognition of various modchips, which were partially incompatible with FMCB/FHDB's own disc-type-recognition-patches (mainly included for ESR[-Path]).

Like SP193 mentioned, 1.96x's changes to system-init seem to have made it a bit worse on some modchips.

1.8(b/c) basically is the most Modchip-compatible version generally... As you have noticed, some modchips are still compatible withsome of the newer versions.

Some memory-offsets (the location of some program-parts in RAM) have changed in the 1.9x-series as well, so that probably has an effect on some modchips as well.

jolek likes this.
  3. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

THX for the re-release!
    I just noticed the changes!

4. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

I just gave up, seems newer versions of FMCBs still work fine with modchips but FHDBs hang.

5. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

Have you tried starting FHDB from/'through' FMCB?

Just keep your FMCB-MC plugged in and turn off 'SkipHD'?

6. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

FMCB doesn't load HDDOSB for me (HDD update skip) but other than that works.

Edited because of misunderstanding.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

Wrong... It does load FHDB/HDD-OSD after the FMCB-Logo is shown, if you turn 'SkipHD' in the OSDSYS-Settings off, which is exactly why I pointed to that option...

Edit: FHDB is meant to be compatible with FMCB!
    It even got an update in the quite recent versions to not show the logo twice, if it is started 'through' FMCB...

8. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

Well, good to know but as long as FMCB works I don't mind, and yes, I have skip HDD load in settings.

9. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

Well, I just corrected your false statement...

It's a thing I have to correct over and over and over and over and over and over (. .) again, because people like Jay-Jay spread the false claim of both being incompatible to each other...

10. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

Which 'false statement'? I never mentioned I run FHDB 'through' FMCB. When I load FMCB FHDB is uninstalled and HDDOSD doesn't load, at least for me with FMCB (option is automaticly on, probably old config is loaded).

11. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

THAT...
    ...is a false claim/statement...

Turn 'SkipHD' in FMCB's OSDSYS-Settings 'off' (I am telling you that for the 3rd time...) and IT WILL boot FHDB and/or the HDD-OSD...
    That's a fact and intended...

12. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

Ok, there is miss of 'for me' because from FMCB automaticly skips for both for me. Btw, this combination makes my modchipped consoles to hang (modchips enabled) so well, it's not something for me, I mean, to be clear, FMCB (both skips off) -> FHDB/HDDOSD -> console hangs before FHDB menu.

13. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

FHDB also hangs when it is booted 'through' FMCB ('for you') [turning SkipHD 'off']?

Well, that's sad but was worth a try...

14. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

Unfortunately, and I am confused because I have version 1.966 (newer) on MC and FHDB 1.93 and sometimes without turning modchip off everything works, very slow but from HDD (I see FHDB 1.93 in menu) apps start correctly an all until next reboot, my fat ps2s are odd. :D

Edit: I got so annoyed so I started to test that way with turning FHDB + HDDOSD through FMCB and it started to work with modchips on, however, not sure why. FMCB is version 1.966 (newer) and FHDB is version 1.93. In both configurations I turned off skipping MC and HDD updates. I'm not sure which newer FHDB could work but I think I'll stay with this configuration for my modchipped 50004 consoles. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  15. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

Good that it at least works for you now.

I am not sure, what 'SkipHD' does in FHDB (I think it is only skipping DVD-Player-Updates from HDD.), but I meant to turn it 'off' in FMCB...

YES, that should usually work!

Using FMCB as a 'pre-booter' can fix some problems with modchips, just like starting FMCB through the OSDSYS-(Update-)Launcher-ELF via DEV.1 can fix some issues with modchips as well!

It seems some modchips only apply some patches (especially to the OSDSYS), when it is directly booted (poweron/reset/and possibly loading rom0:OSDSYS) and not 'indirectly'.

16. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

Honestly, it doesn't, next complete cycle off and the same issue but now HDDOSD doesn't even load and I can't reinstall it with SUDC4, somehow FHDB installation corrupted it. Now FMCB newer than 1.8C don't start at all. I'm done with this issue, FMCB 1.8C works as intended except doesn't allow me to run app from HDD but whatever. Now I even can't install any FHDB because 'mythical HDD issue, use HDDChecker' which NEVER worked for me, it didn't even for my friend with 3 compatible HDDs that allow him to run FMCB 1.966 without issues but he can't install FHDB on any of his HDDs (all ATA).

So summarizing: I am using FMCB 1.8C because any of newer ones don't work for me at all and my friend is using FMCB 1.966 because similar issue just no modchip.

17. 657
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I'm not sure which error you got, but such a message indicates that the content of the HDD could have some problem. Like it or not, your PS2's HDD's contents could be not quite sane.
    Even if you chose to ignore it, it doesn't mean that other software can use it reliably.

Assuming it comes back whenever you run the installer, it could be that the __system partition is corrupted, which explains the HDD Browser not working. It could also be that the the partition was marked as bad because of a failed write. These errors can only be cleared by the HDD Utility Disc (or HDDChecker).

If you don't want to use HDDChecker for any reason, then you could also use the HDD Utility Disc, which was where I cloned the modules from.

Under normal use with the official software, the MBR program (which part of FHDB substitutes) will check that the HDD is usable, which includes checking for the S.M.A.R.T. status, whether any partitions have been flagged as damaged or whether the disk had encountered I/O errors before. By jumping straight to homebrew software, this whole process was just swept under the rug for most people.

Would you care to elaborate here?

Is he using a genuine Sony adaptor? If not, then the problem is possibly with his adaptor. Software like OPL had the ancient ATAD module design kept around for a really long time, which is why some people did not realize that their compatible adaptors are not actually so compatible. Some of them don't even work with the boot ROM's ATAD module, which prevents bootup from the HDD unit. Some others can't even be used to write data properly.

He had problems with FHDB, but you are having problems with FMCB right? Your modchip is making your PS2 non-standard, hence the compatibility problems that newer versions of FMCB have because of the new features.

Although both share similar names, the same logo and offer visibly similar functionalities, they operate with different devices and the both of you seem to be encountering different hardware problems.

18. 1,054
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Theoretically more info is needed.
    What tool was used to format HDD?
    What content is on HDD (e.g. games, HDDOSD 2.0...).
    What tool was used to add games...

All I can add is that currently I'm on FHDB 1.966 from 13\04\2019 connected through genuine NA
    and everything seems to work quite fine.
    My console do not have modchip.

I've also checked my PS2 HDD with HDD checker v0.964 from 13\04\2019...
    It takes some time to initialize (~10 sec) when I want to check for errors, but everything seems to be also well.

BTW It doesn't mean that everything is working in my config, it cannot be any errors on other consoles...
    Sometimes more test need to be made.

19. 42
    Haker120

Haker120 Member

Ok, I have no friggin idea how, but for now (modchip enabled because turning it off is impossible) FHDB 1.966 + HDDOSD turns on, veeeeeery slow, veeeeeeeeeeeeery but before it tries FMCB 1.8c doesn't have skip MC and HDD updates.

@sp193 seems you're right - I've formatted HDD using today's wLE and right after that I used the newest HDDChecker and oddly (and finally) all tests have passed.

Now I am confused af because all of this. I'll try to test without MC with FMCB 1.8c attached.

And no, my friend has original european NA with no SATA or any other mods. Vanila NA. I'm waiting for his response if HDDOSD will boot for him because he told me (just now) his HDDs are old enough that jumpers allow all 3 HDDs to set how much cylinders so must be veeeeery old and maybe this is the problem as well.

Elaborate? Nah, now, after format, I believe these errors meant real issues that didn't prevent me from using OPL at all.

@jolek content is (now) FHDB + HDDOSD because icons was freaking out without HDDOSD, __POPS, PP.FHDBAPPS, +OPL and games.

Well, as for now it works and I hope it'll be with or without FMCB 1.8c attached.

Edit: Nope, it hangs right before FHDB menu, after restart it works, next time it doesn't... after all FMCB 1.8c works well no matter what.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  20. 704
    TnA

TnA Member

Regarding your statement about the skip-functions in 1.8c:

SkipMC and SkipHD have been available before and certainly where in every 1.8x-release!