PS2 FMCB/FHDB v1.9 series release thread

Discussion in 'Free MCBoot' started by sp193, Apr 8, 2017.

1. 1,429
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I only want to avoid trouble when something will be corrupted\broken in current\previous version.
    It's a homebrew stuff, anything can happen. ;)

That's why I always format my MC\HDD before installing new FMCB\FHDB to get as much reliable feedback as I can.

Currently I'm formatting my MC in FMCB\FHDB installer, HDD in wLe.
    I only thought that this will be an additional comfort.

Anyway, thanks for new version and fix that bug in USBHDFSD driver.

EDIT:
    Are you sure it has been fixed, because I still have problem with it when I want to install FHDB.
    Didn't try FMCB though.

EDIT 2: Hi @TnA.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    antonioks likes this.
  2. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

It seems to be better! However, I skipped some releases (2-3), so I can't be sure, which one really made it better.

Btw.: Those 'links' in wLE for specific filetypes are quite interesting!
    If for example SMS would be recompiled with 'arg-support' (and of course wLE's ELF_Launcher would need support for it as well), it would be possible to 'start' any of the supported media-files from SMS and even return to uLE once the file isn't played anymore!

This would keep the applications in itself seperated, but still 'interconnected' which allows an unbelievable amount of flexibility, solely via CNFs/'Text-Files!

If just i.e. 5 apps would support this, (OMG!!!) the possibilities would be nearly endless!

jolek and antonioks like this.
  3. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I forgot one thing!

@sp193 : Would you mind, increasing the number of OSD(SYS)-Items a bit?

You know, that it is merely editing one 'VAR' (in the source).
    I have concerns about CNF-Overflows, but if it isn't increased too much (i.e. 150), that could be interesting as well!

4. 708
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Thank you. Nowadays, we rely on the proper device drivers to write files, so it is quite safe. I also hope to help you with prolonging the lifespan of your hardware (e.g. memory cards) because I have personally destroyed my only genuine cards in 2011, while testing on the FMCB installer. If we can reduce the number of needless write-cycles, that would help. Personally, I nearly never format my disks and memory cards.

Only the multi-installation would bypass the drivers, which is why corruption can occur (since my code is bad and I do not want to fix that feature... also because I have no idea how to).
    It does cross-linking of directory entries (which is a form of corruption itself), while the right way is to make symbolic links (but not supported by the memory card). That leaves making duplicates of the file (which are the various sub-modes of the normal installation).

I also want to improve the quality of our homebrew software, which was why I have been committing resources to check and correct the filesystem modules.
    It was just really unfortunate that PFS and APA had issues that went unfixed until recent years. But thanks to you and other users, I think we can say with relatively good confidence that it well now.
    At least, after three years of combing the code, the number of mistakes should have been greatly reduced.

Most glitches that were found and fixed, were in PFS. APA is much simpler.
    Errors in PFS can be fixed with HDDChecker. I don't think I have found any glitch that can make the PFS partition unusable for good software, but old (built with the bugged PFS code) software may not correctly write new files.

It's finally done, I hope. With some luck, the obscure glitch that causes the rare corruption cases was also fixed.

It was only applicable for the FMCB side, so I have updated the file again. Thanks.

There were many updates (not even counting the ninja ones). They all actually mattered, to give the current release.

Why would it be interesting? When I took over the source code, I wondered who would have 100 ELFs to boot, especially since that menu is a very simple menu that has no sorting functions. But because it was already like
    There is 164
    that, I kept the number at 100 for compatibility. It can't be that you actually have so many ELFs right?

There is currently 164KB for the CNF, which means about 1KB per item. Each item has 4 lines (title + 3 paths), so 340 bytes per line. There are also parts of the CNF, so I think that 100 is a fair number for the amount of space.

There is now some unused, free space. But that is because I couldn't fit the extra modules (for HDD support) in its old spot and have not actually managed to do anything about it (but ideally, they should fit there). :|
    It used to fit until FHDB v1.94 or something, when I updated the HDD modules and they grew in size.

jolek likes this.
  5. 1,429
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I can confirm, "problem" has been fixed. [​IMG]
    Thanks.

sp193 likes this.
  6. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

It would be interesting, if someone has a big collection of apps and if it would be possible without actually decreasing functionality elsewhere 'why not'? ;)

Here! *waving with my hand/arm (from far away)*

Well, back in the days it was just a proposal, because we then had a 'scrolling menu' and '100 OSDSYS-Items/Apps' sounded enough for anyone's needs! It's a 'nice' & 'round' number, so I thought it would be the most logical conclusion...

It also was/is quite useful, if you have a FW-Collection for modchips! :lol:

You mean the '(hacked) OSDSYS' can't do that? Correct, or atleast there is no known function!

This however does NOT mean, that the OSDSYS-Items can not be sorted automatically i.e. alphabetically!
    Currently the OSDSYS-Items are sorted via their Item-Number.

It would be possible to implement a new FMCB/FHDB-Config entry like 'OSDSYS_Item_sorting' which toggles between sorting.
    Value '0' = by Item-Number
    Value '1' = by Name/alphabetically
    Value '2' = etc.

Alphabetical sorting would probably work, if there is some code which would compare the first appearing letter in an OSD-Item-Name-String to the other items and then 'pre-sort' it!

Yes, please do not decrease it! o_O

Sure I do! ^^

Thank you for that info!
    Woooow, that's quite something! :)
    That leaves quite some room to play around (with the CNF, etc.)! Interesting!

I am not even close to that file-size, while I already extended it 'a bit'.

My CNF includes (additionally to what's in the Noobie-Package-CNF):
    • Additional informations to explain the parts of the CNF a bit better and group them a bit (more than there are in the current CNF).
    • Some OSDSYS-Syntax-Functions, to resize the OSDSYS-Items to '0.8'. --> An actual loader-function for font-render-size (just like color-change and these kind of things are implemented) would be preferred, tho'.
    • I made some color-changes via the OSDSYS-Drawing-Function-Syntaxes (like 'red' for the Poweroff-ELF).
    • It's (Edit:) 30 Items now...
    • It's 8.93KB...
    ...and I am about to implement some more Alt+Num7- & SJIS- & 'OSDSYS-Drawing-Function-Syntax'-Stuff and more apps into my CNF.

...sooo... Even with a deep folder-structure and long strings for the OSD-Items, there is probably is quite some space left.

Dang, I could use 200 OSDSYS-Items, lol!

I think the amount of space is quite extraordinary for a Config-file!
    That's plenty of space for an item!

320 Symbols or atleast ~70 if I would use 'object-codes' (5Byte) on one item? That's more than the OSDSYS can draw, is it not? Atleast it would be not readable, if it were put on one line... (even if it is resized).

I suppose you can rather strap some space from what is supposed to be the region, where a part of the CNF is loaded (if there is no gap/region in between) and yet, that would still allow 200 (or even more) OSDSYS-Items... :'-D

Edit: Hi @jolek! :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  7. 15
    7o7o

7o7o Forum Noob

This release hangs after the FMCB boot logo, the spinning dots freeze. Tested with a clean install on a spare MC card.

It only boots now when I disable the Matrix Infinity mod chip.

8. 1,429
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Berion likes this.
  9. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I would really like a combination of the 1.8b-installer (the tabs and some visuals) combined with SP193's FMCB/FHDB-Installer (the R1/L1 switching between his pages could be 'switching between the Tabs' and the Tabs should have his menu-pages with separate choices, instead of the Tab of 1.8b being the choice).

That combined with some other visuals would be great! However, I already like the GUI-Advancements which have been accomplished since the older versions! The current GUI is very functionally and visually better than the older versions.

Edit: I also would really like to see the 'EMBED.ELF'-Feature to return somewhen in the future, especially with a MC-KELF-Generation which supports variable file-sizes and 'Region-flagging' ('Multi/All' being the standard-setting).

10. 15
    7o7o

7o7o Forum Noob

@ jolek and TnA, is it really that important how the FMCB installer GUI looks? How many times do you need to use the FMCB installer?

Think about it for a minute! It's fine as it is, it's functional and it gets the job done.

Don't give the guy extra (IMHO useless) work just for a fancy GUI, it's not like you have to use the FMCB installer on a daily basis.

Just my 2c!

Tupakaveli likes this.
  11. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Who is talking about the looks? You combine all my proposals with jolek's GUI-Proposal (even those totally unrelated to the installer)?! That does not work out...

It's about functionality and guess what. ..the original FMCB-Installer still has functions, SP193's has not!

I did indeed thought about it for a lot more than a minute... Did you?

That's your opinion and opinions are like butt-holes... Everyone has one (that's not meant as an insult, but to point out that opinions vary).

If I or others would have ever listened to people like you, we would not have a hacked OSDSYS or even a config-file...
    There would not be any OPL or FMCB/FHDB because after all... a Swap-Disk or the PS1-Exploit + HDLoader are 'fine, functional and get the job done'...

Are you kidding?
    WhoTF said, that HE 'has to do' ANYTHING about it?
    On another note: My approach needs much less work, than jolek's proposal... and it definitely makes much less work, than you make it seem.

I just mention it... Everyone who has seen those kind of proposals implemented, ever agreed that it was NOT useless... EVER!

Sorry, but that points to a limited amount of imagination... I do not intend to insult you. I just get straight to the point... That's possibly 'German'...

It is not (of any kind of importance) for/to you... (as an Enduser of a finished product)
    It certainly would be of use, if someone did multiple tests a day...

Since I would like to see the project being open source once upon in time anyway (which is now entirely up to SP193 and possibly l.oliveira, now that the FMCB 1.8b source is public/disclosed), this would rarely ever be limited to one person!

You (also) solely pointed out the Installer-GUI, whilst I mentioned a multitude of features, where some are not even related to the installer!

Best regards,
    TnA

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  12. 39
    malk4days

malk4days Forum Noob

@TnA I've seen you around the past few days and wow you come off as quite the arrogant jerk. I understand your past with the ps2 scene but seriously dude tone it down a bit. Anyone has a different opinion or words something the way you don't like and you fly off the handle.

I think you'd get on well with Jay-jay, maybe you guys aren't like that? But you certainly come across that way to random care free friends checking in on their daily forums.

I know this shit is gonna get deleted but hey, it had to be said.

13. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

That's totally off topic and you could have told me that in a PM... However, you rather chose to make an open discussion about it... (in the thread you just hijacked)

I did atleast contribute to the thread with my post...

I already stated that it is not meant in an intrusive or insultive way.

Sure...

Says the guy who purposefully insults people/developers, just to trigger a reaction... :lol:
    You do realize, that your argument is quite weak here?!

I give 'a flying f*#$' about HOW someone says something - because I am not melting at room-temperature (like a snowflake) - as long as the content is truthful! Truth (and facts) is(/are) more important to me, than feelings... Sorry, if you can't handle that, but I will ever tell the truth regardless how it comes across... and I will not 'beat around the bush' but get straight to the point... I specifically mentioned, that this probably is a German attribute (even tho' in my case it COULD be a bit extreme and come across even more harshly)...

Look it up and you will notice, that this attitude (not talking around an issue and getting to the point, or telling people the honest truth, regardless how it comes across and that it comes across harsh VERY OFTEN) is typically German...

(Sorry, but) Are you so young that your have no experience with an international crowd?

Well... He learned how the scene works and how to talk and react to Noobs... (atleast a BIG part of it)
    I had some serious issues with him, when he was a newcomer but I knew back than, that somewhen in the future he will realize, why some things are done (in the scene) the way they are.

Well, I understand what you mean, but this is not a party nor a 'Biergarten', nor a collection of 'normal people'!

This is, The Scene!
    The scene was never meant for 'normal people' but only for those who contribute and work together.
    [The PS2-Scene is even more special in that regard (and in terms of dedication).]
    That essentially also means, that someone (anyone else) corrects false statements of people (which btw. is a contribution to the scene as well).

One wrong thing in his statement... He grouped my proposals and joleks GUI-Proposal for the installer, while some of the things I said are neither related to a GUI, nor (even) the installer!

So I corrected something factually wrong!

Edit: If you really want to continue this discussion, I would prefer a PM, or a separate topic, to not clutter up this topic any( )more.

Best regards,
    TnA

14. 1,429
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Nnnnoooooo, ssssss**************tttt ssssttttooorrrrmmm.
    WTF is going on?

I understand that anyone can make their own opinion.
    Anyway.

I was testing FMCB\FHDB for a long time.
    When I have seen installer for 1.8b for the very 1st time:
    [​IMG]

I thought, WOW! Homebrew software can look like that!
    How long has it been?

Maybe I'm just sentimental.

To the main point, currently installer in FMCB\FHDB runs a bit slow.
    So I thought, why not make an another GUI with art that has\will been\be created.
    Since the GUI from 1.8b runs smooth, maybe new will also.

Now, new FMCB\FHDB 1.9X has more to offer than 1.8, but:
    1. Smaller, faster and more stable.
      - Does anyone notice that?
    2. The HDD unit is now supported.
      - Is it worth it? Version for MC was just fine.
    3. The "Early Japanese"/PCMCIA units (SCPH-10000, SCPH-15000 and SCPH-18000) are fully supported. -
      Does many people has it?
    4. Support for the PSX DVR.
      - Probably all will break at some time.
    5. Your play history will now be updated (The towers in the background of the "Sony computer entertainment" screen should continue to grow taller and greater in numbers)
      - Anyone notice that, since we can skip $ony logo.

Was it worth adding these features.
    I think yes, progress has ben made I'm grateful for every fix\new feature.

Since the new version fix every (?) bug,
    I think we can at least update visual (it is only a proposal).

TnA likes this.
  15. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

@jolek: Oh... It was nothing against your proposal! I would really like to have a combination as well!

That's even one of the reasons, why I wanted the project (or atleast the sources of that version) to be open again!

I just had to clarify that neither do I expect @sp193 to do the work, nor that this was my only proposal.

On another note: Someone already forked the 1.8b-Sources, with the intent of compiling/modding the 1.8b-Installer (he posted on assemblergames.com a while ago).

Btw.: @sp193 did A LOT more, than just the updates you've mentioned!
    They are Loader/Payload-related, NOT to the installer... That means, that all those features would be available with an updated installer as well! :)

@7o7o: I hope you didn't take it personally. I just wanted to clarify that I made multiple proposals not related to the installer and that A LOT things would not exist, if we ever listened to this kind of opinion ("it's senseless").

For example @dlanor (someone I have a LOT respect for, not only because of uLE and other contributions to the scene) didn't 'see' or couldn't imagine how the 'hacked OSDSYS' would be of any use, until he saw a quite extended version. He thought my intention was to replace uLE entirely!

So... Who would miss the hacked OSDSYS nowadays? Is it senseless? ;)

16. 708
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    If anything, it's partly because I am growing older and can no longer spend whole days on PlayStation 2 development, willingly or not.
    Berion having designs for some of my software, was also my fault. I shall explain below.

Ah, I see.

I understand.
    Well, I was thinking about it, back when I was trying to rearrange the memory used by FMCB, so that everything could fit and give the exact same functionality. As of now, the 3 versions of FMCB (FMCB, FHDB, XFMCB) are built off the same code base.

That is what I meant: FMCB currently has no such function. I currently have no wish to extend on my existing projects, but I will take note of these suggestions.

This is clearly due to some interference by the modchip's code. :|
    I cannot quite do anything about this, sorry.

Sorry, but I have no wish to start on another project. I did not deliberately make this slow/unresponsive either - it's just FreeType.
    It is possible that I have been doing things wrong, but I am already very tired of everything.

If the text are burned into the graphics, then the functions we have are also restricted to the graphics.

That's because I once asked him about whether he had some art for my 4 tools. He actually made them...
    Back then, my tools had a hardcoded UI (much like LaunchELF). I was hoping to update them, so that they could be like OPL, whereby the menu items were configurable and I could have actual graphics...

However, due to the rotting code (and perhaps a lack of experience), it took really long to come up with a nice UI engine that actually worked for the needs of the 4 tools. The menu engine eventually had configurable pages with sufficient flexibility, but I stopped short of implementing theme part, and so Berion's work could not have been used. Until today, there's no graphics on any of the buttons.

I regret not making the system first before asking the artist for work. I felt really bad about it, and still do. :(
    So in the end, he just put all his work into a collection.

I used to like to try creating my own works. Both for the experience and it was something that I wanted to take pride in. But well, I just never had the skill levels of some of the older developers.

I don't have the source code (not even the graphics) for the v1.8 installer. Even if I did, it would require work to convert the old installer to fit the new requirements.

This function is not implemented because the new series of FMCB no longer uses any KELF hacks. The only exception to this, was the transferring of the signature, so that we can sign a PSX's KELF with a CEX PS2.

Even if I do implement it, what software will you install? Rightfully, the PS2's kernel has to have the user settings initialized and set in, which nearly no other software will do (correctly). Even modchips with DEV1 booting don't seem to do it right.

I have no such function implemented. Neither do I have the know-how to do such a thing.

Thanks. This was essentially how I have been doing things lately. I have also been occupied with debugging and fixing issues that pop up in the PS2SDK. It's not so fun, but somebody had to do it and so I really wanted to see it done.
    Some glitches were there since day 1, and we're now in 2018 (14 year old bugs!).

I wanted to be clear of all the old projects, so that I might be able to focus on the new responsibilities in life.
    Gone are those days when I could spend 8 hours on the PS2.

The problem I have here, is that my code is tainted with stuff that I cannot disclose at this point. I have neither the source code for FMCB 1.8b nor 1.8c.
    My package was some late design of 1.8c, which might not have been actually used in 1.8c.

I could clean it up, but I have been going on and on with PS2 development, ever since my holidays started on May 12th. This is not even funny anymore.

However, I did make a package to explain what goes on behind FMCB: https://assemblergames.com/threads/...ion-2-from-cold-boot.67794/page-3#post-973739

I think he's more... vocal. But well, I guess it is fine as long as he doesn't become like somebody who wanted obedience.

I know, I have crushed the dreams of some. But this was the best I can do. I do not know how much resources they had to commit to make such a thing, but it got really tiring to work on these projects quite quickly.

Thanks for the list. There's also proper initialization of the user settings, for all PlayStation 2 models. Also includes support for the lone Chinese console (SCPH-50009).
    Since it's also shorter, it tends to boot up faster.

FMCB was also redesigned to allow for a proper boot screen... which was never implemented. It also had anti-disassembly code, as well as code to block ps2-unpacker.

Those are the FMCB features, but on the installer side:
    • Installation of KELFs with a proper SECRMAN module.
    • Support for multiple KELFs (need to install kernel update for ROM 1.00J, 1.01J and 1.20J).
    • Support for PS2 DEX.
    • Support for additional installation modes (normal, normal cross-region, normal cross-model).
    • Correct file list for installing updates/crosslinking. The old installer just crosslinked a lot of files, without knowledge of the actual file list.
    • Memory card dumping & restoration. As a safety measure for use of the multi-installation option.
    • Installation support for FHDB (only for CEX and DEX PS2 consoles).
    • Installation of KELFs across the system types (via twin KELFs, KELFs with the same keys).
    • Detection of unsupported consoles.
    • Activation of HDD support.
    • Option for preserving the old user CNF.
    • New Multi-installation record file format. I have forgotten what's better about this, however.

Who?

uyjulian, jolek, Berion and 2 others like this.
  17. 1,051
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Warning! Very long post!
    ------------------------------------------

You don't 'have to'... In the end, it is about the fun, gathering knowledge and experience, getting contact to people and etc.
    Well, if you consider changing it (number of supported OSDSYS-Items) at any point in time, I'd be very happy! :)
    You know, it is merely changing one variable. I remember you asked me back in the days (in a PM) specifically about the item-number and I first pointed you to the wrong var (something with 'MAX'[?] and later corrected my statement). ;)
    On another note: If I remember correctly there was also a 'pointer-array' (or similar?) which grew depending on the number of supported items... I think it used either ~1700Byte or ~17KB (I suppose it is the former/first value, because the second seems unproportionally large.). Something like 4*128Bit*100(OSD-Items) +10% because of something else or so? Well... It was ~9 years ago... I do have a serial/photographic memory (damn... Amnesia didn't help... Everything comes back... :'-D), but I can't recall it all (every single piece of the structure).
    What I do know is, that this would statically grow and not dynamically. So regardless of the amount of paths or items added to the CNF, depending on the amount you set for the variable [for compilation] (in 1.8(b), that part is still in launcher2.c), that thing would grow ('statically')...
    It has advantages and disadvantages...
    I would prefer a dynamic allocation [atleast size, but possibly in which RAM-Region as well] (or possibly another way), but that just doesn't give as much control (about [preventing] overflows, etc.) like a fixed size array does... It takes some space/RAM, it doesn't need to be dynamically placed somewhere in the RAM, nothing to care about, etc.
    Another thing to note is, that the 'places' within the array are 'fixed' as well ('line' 55 'cell' 3 [to put it in a kind of excel-visual perspective] would be Item 55 path 3... EVER.), which probably could be optimized as well.
    However... Optimizing these things is just for 2 things... If it ever became open source and other features or more paths&items could be chosen, then this would spare some more RAM just on that already tiny array (but still... Possibly more items could be 'allowed', especially if the 'CNF-Creators' would optimize (like 'shrink' i.e. by removing unnecessarily paths) and for the sake of optimization, skill-training or whatever.
    Sooo... Other things might be well more worth it.
    That is GREAT! GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT! :D
    This avoids (code-)redundancy and if you ever intend to release the source of the Loader/Payload, this will be VERY useful to any following developer to maintain the code in a proper way! One more reason to release it! :lol:
    That compilation from the same code-base could be interesting for HDL-GameInstaller and HDL-GameUpdater as well, or not?
    Yes, you already did and still do a lot of stuff for the scene. I understand that...
    It would be interesting, if you would publish your sources (HDL-GameInstaller, HDL-GameUpdater, PS2Ident, etc.) on your github-account as well.
    It might lead to a few people (trying) to contribute to them (via forks, etc.).
    ...and I really hope for the newest Loader/Payload-Source to be open somewhen, but that is entirely up to you (and like I said before, possibly @l.oliveira has got a vote in/on it).
    Yepp, definitely!
    Well, back in the days we placed the code somewhere, where a modchip doesn't place it's own code. That worked to get a ~80% (or more) compatibility with modchips.
    However, this does not e, that this is the cause of the freeze... It also could be to something else.
    We wanted those chips to be compatible as well and tried the best we could (because we also wanted to 'extend' modchips with new features).
    Some things you might consider 'awkward' or inefficient were actually due to us trying to get every model (including atleast some prominent Modchips [like the MI and it's clones) to be compatible with FMCB.
    You don't have to! You contributed so much to the PS2-Scene... I doubt anyone ever had so many projects (except probably for 'sjeep').
    One more reason for an open source/project and publishing atleast your already opened sources to GitHub (I wonder why you didn't. I have the feeling that you've mentioned it somewhen, somewhere! :D
    No problem! Take a rest! :)
    Yes, the FMCB 1.8b-Installer uses pre-made 'pictures', where the writing is part of the picture (for the tabs and the bottom-line of the installer).
    However, it also uses a font to draw the notes on screen!
    So it is a mix!
    How do you mean that? It is 'not a picture' or 'not a rendered' object? I can clearly see some button-gfx on screen... o_O
    Erm... Free hug?! Hehe... :)
    Well, it still might be of use to someone and 'somewhen'!
    Don't underestimate yourself!
    'You already reached a quite high level!'
    Your job on the SDK, in the scene, your projects and FMCB has been fantastic so far.
    I really like the work you've done on FMCB. I suppose you are just not so interested in OSDSYS-Hacking. ;)
    Btw.; A lot more is possible (in that regard) via quite short code, tho'. Just thought, I'd mention it.
    You can find it here:
    https://github.com/TnA-Plastic/FreeMcBoot
    However, the loader/payload-source is not yet 100% clean (but it doesn't matter for the installer).
    @bootlegninja still has got the clean source and possibly @l.oliveira as well. ;)
    I know! However, you somehow convert your Loader/Payload to a KELF, so that tool/part can be ported or rebuild on a PS2 (theoretically).
    That's what was done when FMCB 1.2 was 'in the works' (getting the PC-Tools to the PS2, which essentially was the 'birth' of the FMCB-Installer. ;)
    It is a very useful feature for testing new/modified loaders/Payloads or even other/custom projects (XEB+, etc.).
    Back in the days it was continually used for testing new builds, because we could solely compile the Loader/Payload and not the whole project. :)
    O.k. It is possible to do that as well on a PC, but do you really expect all beta-tester to be able to make KELFs out of them and sign them properly for their MC? That's where the usefulness of this function REALLY triggers in.
    'Place any ELF with this name there and done...'
    I think if the project (newest version) is ever opened again, it will be as useful as back in the days.
    Well, if modchips which support DEV.1 boot the ELF directly, they skip the original one/initialization and their own/initialization often is not complete (I suppose it also depends on the FW-Version, how complete it is and which modchip.).
    They have the same fault, if they support 'Fastboot (disc)'.
    I know... (the difference can be seen between some DVDPLx)
    It also isn't necessary, because we can simply 'flag' it for all regions... (like any 1.8c and upwards is 'flagged')
    Actually, your updates to the SDK are VERY important! I also remember pointing out one thing to you, which ever annoyed me a lot... SMAP.IRX! :'-D This 'bastard' was sooo bad, caused sooo many stalls and so on... I suppose it was one of the worst modules in the whole SDK. Nothing against the dev. THX for his contribution, but it was a bad module (structure-wise)... ^^
    Things like Kernel-Loader (3.0) or myPS2 (1.3) do hang with a Gamestar-Adapter for example... (beside other issues and not being performant or less efficient)
    (Your) Newer modules probably will work!
    Indeed... Well... It was a rather hackish and 'patched together' convolut(e?)... erm... SDK! ^^
    It was o.k. (NOT 'good') for it's purpose, so 'it did the job' and got people started into creating more sophisticated Homebrew...
    Well... An open FMCB might (help to) relieve you! :D
    Or 16 (hours)... Continuously... ATLEAST for half a year... Being involved in the project, explaining EVERYONE (including Devs and the tutorial-creators and the users) EVERY single bit of it... xDD
    OMFG... (I can perfectly relate to that is, what I intend to say.)
    Just take a rest, if you want (to)! There is no obligation to anything, but rather desire (to get something done and i.e. proving skill-set, even if it's just for yourself and nobody realizes it... :'-D)!
    Well,... Now you do (have the sources to 1.8b).
    About the stuff you can not disclose: Hm... I don't know what to say about it specifically. I suppose removing it, (probably) would render it non-functional.
    Yes, you've got the cleaned (no functional changes, but rather a bit restructuring of files and moving some stuff, separating or combining it and so on) source of the 1.8c-Version.
    The reasons for an open project and a rest on your side add up! Hehe...
    Thank you very much!
    Nah,... If some people who know me in person would describe me in one word, there is a 30%—chance of them saying 'anti-authoritarian' (from around 10-15 words, that's quite something).
    Didn't everyone's first dream (an app for ALL [multimedia, file-/save-/HDD-/whatever-management or so...]) crush, when any newcomer asked for their honey and milk giving cow-pig-chicken, which was said to be a dream, which would never happen?
    In the scene it is an IF, not WHEN (most of the time)...

Well, 1.8(b) was the first who had an almost complete ( it probably not 100 correct) initialization, thought...
    A faster unpacker-stub would probably yield some more ms, but it is very fast, so this would only be useful if the MC-KELF would be quite a bigger.
    I'm just mentioning it for the sake of completeness.
    ??? Would you elaborate a bit more on these?
    FMCB 1.8 had that as well! ;)
    @Nold360 ;)
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/need-help-compiling-fmcb.69101/
    ------------------------------------------
    Well, if you (anyone reading this) really went through the whole post and really didn't just skimmed it, you got my respect! :)
    Best regards,
    TnA

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    uyjulian and jolek like this.
  18. 15
    7o7o

7o7o Forum Noob

No problems mate, nobody got hurt.

I'll admit I just glanced over your post and came to a wrong conclusion.

uyjulian and TnA like this.
  19. 15
    7o7o

7o7o Forum Noob

No problem, although FMCB has worked for me up until this release, I'll just use FreeMcBoot 1.8b from now on, like I used to. It's not must have software on a modded PS2.

Edit: I'm now using FreeMcBoot 1.8b again and I'm starting to wonder why I even switched to the newer FMBC (starting with FMCBInstaller 1.8c years ago) in the first place.

It does what I expect it to do and it does use less space on my MC card.

20. 2,231
    Berion

Berion Developer

@sp193 As we talk about this months ago, really, You shouldn't feel bad about this. I was making GUIs and skins just because this is pleasure and practice for me. I would create them probably whatever if You need them or not, really. I'm not a kind of guy who trying be forcibly nice or trying mask the real feelings of disappointment and sad. I'm really did it fully spontaneously. So I'm completely ok if You (or anyone in future) will never implement it. ^^ Also I know how hard my GUIs are to implementing, which literally demanding refactoring current GUI code base.

And BTW, I know that stuff is not easy in case of PS2. It's a shame that ffgriever didn't released his gskit replacement. He created on it MCA1.0/2.0 and PS2PSXe GUI, in... two days (he said it's super easy with his new framework, and I fully believed his skills and ocean of passion and enthusiasm to the scene). I'm not a programmer but for me sounds extremely optimistic, so we probably lost something very valuable.

Simultaneously, I also feel been tired of scene projects so I quit. I even planned to totally leave message boards but somehow, invisible force keep me still with all of You. So maybe it's something similar to Your feelings about PS2 scene. I guess.

Whatever You will do, it doesn't matter. You are already part of the homebrew history with many great achievements. Without Your work, scene would be for sure crippled. Thanks for every single line of code to all the projects, even those which no one see (like i.e ps2sdk as average user even don't know about it's existence ^^"). I was tried join to You, but I ultimately failed and one day I realised that it is not my road, focusing more on the graphics.

In summary, I hope that now I fully free You from demons of the past. :D

TnA, uyjulian, sp193 and 1 other person like this.