Found a Bug with IRD

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by pinky, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:52 PM.

1. 11,921
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I found a strange bug with 3d dot game heroes, and its ird. there's a file named Thumbs.db in the IconData folder. well, rudi rastelli's tool will create an iso of the game, but it will delete the Thumbs.db, so even if the game checked out as correct beforehand, it won't be anymore after converting to iso. the file is physically gone from your pc. if you check the ird with ps3rebuilder, it will say the file is missing. this is the only game where I've seen this happen.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  2. 150
    Omage

Omage Member

3d dot game heroes(jap) Frequent freezing :ambivalence:

pinky likes this.
  3. 11,921
    pinky

this is the European version. maybe it's deleting files from the JP version? I'm going to make another iso of it, but this time forcibly injecting the Thumbs.db file into it.

4. 11,921
    pinky

i think I've solved the problem by using the standalone genps3iso. Thumbs.db is a hidden file, which apparently rudi's tool doesn't account for. I've successfully created an iso with that Thumbs.db file. :)

edit: genps3iso and makeps3iso result in the same issue through rudi's tool. the only thing that seems to work with hidden files is genps3iso, but I'll have to test if the game works. everything looks good.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 3:10 AM
    Yugonibblit likes this.
  5. 2,175
    Berion

Berion Developer

I believe there is another reason. Thumbs.db is a windows image miniatures garbage, it is high possible that this is feature added to not include in disc image useless files. However this doesn't mean that "Thumbs.db" from 3D Dot Game Heroes is in real the same thumb.db junk, but maybe it's in reality VFS which is mandatory (consider it as cleaver security layer). Just guessing.

BTW: I love this game, this is some kind of "Sony Zelda", but EU or US version (I don't remember now) is bugged. Not all loading screens appears so platinum trophy is impossible to achieve. I have tried mess with patch transplanting from one region to another in those days, but without success. What a shame From Software...

6. 5,745
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I dont think the disc have that file, as @Berion said this is a file generated by microsoft windows, and the only way it could get included in the real disc is if someone at the game company did the mistake to include it in the "master" copy of the game and after that it passed all the quality controls... but this is higly unlikely

In other words... that IRD seems to be "fake"

7. 5,757
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Wait what? It's a From Software game? Ok I'm off to find this and hope it isn't to much. SOLD

Edit

Hold the phone the JP was published by From and the US was co-published by Atlus and someone else. Not as intrigued anymore.

8. 11,921
    pinky

well, the file is part of the ird unless whoever made it screwed up? I've not seen any other game do this. here it is:

upload_2019-10-10_9-4-1.png

if this one is incorrect, it could mean others are too. for example, my last of us rip has the wrong md5 for every psarc related file. these are the only two games I've seen that were messed up. I don't think either is giving the right information.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 10:06 AM
  9. 2,175
    Berion

Berion Developer

@atreyu187 Yeah, looking at wiki I saw that Silicon Studio developed it and publishers are various. It looks like I'm starting loosing memory. ;p But anyway, game is excellent, really. It is literally clone of first Zelda from NES.

@pinky Many peoples released IRD made from rips with modified EBOOT or other files...

atreyu187 likes this.
  10. 11,921
    pinky

is there anyway to get a fresh ird? 'cause if that's the case, it defeats the purpose of ird files.

11. 6,898
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I guess if your game is exactly the same in every way except for the thumbs.db then you can consider an IRD made from your disc as the fresh "perfect" IRD. As there is not really much chance that you could both have the same error on another file, and everything else matches.

sandungas likes this.
  12. 11,921
    pinky

something odd is that the thumbs.db is in both region games, but how could that have happened twice for the same game?

13. 6,898
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Then its probably a mistake in mastering by Sony. funny.

14. 11,921
    pinky

I think @sandungas said that makeps3iso was superior to genps3iso. the standalone genps3iso will copy that file, but both makeps3iso and genps3iso through rudi's tool don't. I was hoping to use a makeps3iso (standalone). I saw a post about using the one with irisman, but it's identical to the one in rudi's tool. I guess I could assume that it's going to work without the file, but what I don't understand is why the file is physically deleted. I can understand just skipping over the file, but deleting it?

15. 766
    Zar

Zar Developer

Can we make and IRD with a backup ? I think it's not possible, I think the soft allow making the IRD only if it's read from the disc...

I think it's a mistake made by the devs... they are humans too. ;)

jcorrea likes this.
  16. 280
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    If the backup is in ISO, it's possible to create an IRD, but without D1/D2. The IRD will be used only to validate the files, but will not be possible to decrypt discs with that.

Zar likes this.
  17. 11,921
    pinky

maybe whoever made the ird files for 3d dot game heroes had this extra file. what's odd is that both games have it, and in the same location. what's also odd is the fact that file is deleted instead of skipped. genps3iso includes the file/doesn't delete. what exactly is the problem with genps3iso, 'cause I heard that cfw users should use makeps3iso. genps3iso is for ode, right? rudi's tool deletes the file with genps3iso as well. I have to use the command line with the original genps3iso to get it to include the file.

18. 280
    jcorrea

jcorrea PSX-Place Supporter

Developer
    You can check it on the disc. Just put it on the BD drive and navigate to the folder. Of course it will be crypted, but you will be able to confirm if that exists.

Edit: I don't think it's a "fake" IRD because there isn't any other application, able to edit/create IRD's, than 3k3y Iso Tools.

If someone wants to deal with IRD's, I have the latest public source of 3k3y Ripp3r:
    https://github.com/jhonathanc/3k3y-Ripp3r

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 6:07 PM