PS4 FreeBSD - 4.55 Kernel Exploit write-up published by SpecterDev

Discussion in 'PS4 News' started by Roxanne, Apr 2, 2018.

By Roxanne on Apr 2, 2018 at 2:54 PM
  1. 123
    Roxanne

Roxanne Moderator

Home Page:
    Developer @SpecterDev published a write-up on his GitHub repo about the latest PS4 Kernel Exploit on System Firmware 4.55. But as you may already recognized from the Title of this News, he explains at his write-up that this mentioned Kernel Exploit is not only convenient for the PS4 itself - it could be also useful for other console platforms using FreeBSD in general, which sounds very interesting. This great write-up also shows how the PS4's System Firmware is running on FreeBSD in general and how the Developers behind the PS4 (didn't) tried to made this System secured from exploiting it.

uptZuYSBzaHphpF9MwkSg-1200-80.jpg

• Welcome to the kernel portion of the PS4 4.55FW full exploit chain write-up. This bug was found by qwerty, and is fairly unique in the way it's exploited, so I wanted to do a detailed write-up on how it worked. The full source of the exploit can be found here. I've previously covered the webkit exploit implementation for userland access here.

Note: While this bug is primarily interesting for exploitation on the PS4, this bug can also potentially be exploited on other unpatched platforms using FreeBSD if the attacker has read/write permissions on /dev/bpf, or if they want to escalate from root user to kernel code execution. As such, I've published it under the "FreeBSD" folder and not the "PS4" folder.

The Full write-up is available here.

Source --> GitHub
    GitHub --> https://github.com/Cryptogenic/
    Twitter --> https://twitter.com/SpecterDev/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2018
    ZeroOne, T.A.U, dazzaXx and 3 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'PS4 News' started by Roxanne, Apr 2, 2018.

1. darkhaxcker
      darkhaxcker
      This is big! Dont sleep on this one. The future is looking brighter