Game occupying HDD space even after delete

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by snkplkn, Sep 17, 2019.

1. 340
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

I installed LA Noire on PS3 internal HDD by USB drive by splitting into 4GB file size. Total file size was 34 GB in folder format.

The game installed normally and i can play it. When i deleted the game by Multiman, it was deleted successfully. But 34 GB of Game space did not get free!! So as if game is still on HDD. I checked games folder from multiman but the game folder can't be seen there. In PS3 root hdd i can ps3_hdd0 still occupying large space but i can't find game anywhere. Where is the game?

Other installed games are working normally and there is no other problem. I am on Ferrox CFW 4.84 Cobra. But i can't free up 34 GB of space. I don't know the location of files.

Is there a way to find location of files that are occupying large space?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. 11,921
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

try clearing the cache in mm. that's what stores the split games. they're split and placed on the internal hdd, so deleting the game may have left that cache intact.

Algol likes this.
  3. 340
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

PS3 recovery mode -> Restore file system solved the problem.

pinky likes this.
  4. 11,921
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I think whatever records the amount of free space (possibly one of the mms plugins) wasn't updated. it does this on the ps4 as well if you create a sym-link using usb. the amount of space will remain the same even if the game is on the external hdd then. not sure if that's true now, but that was the way it was on the ps4 not too long ago. you could go over the amount of free space, because the space actually existed on the ps4.

5. 122
    remlei

remlei Member

deleting stuff on ps3 may take a while to process it, even if multiman says its deleted, its not deleted yet, so as long as you delete something either on homebrew or via ftp. make sure to let the ps3 idle it self for about 5 minutes for every 10gb of filesize you delete (just add it up if its larger), you will see the HDD indicator on your ps3 to lightup steady or sometimes rapid blinking, wait for that and see if the HDD indicator is no longer steady lightup or rapid blinking, then you can check your free space.