Get back the old Black XMB ?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Estox, Sep 16, 2019.

1. 82
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

Hey,

I do remember back in the 2.xx Firmware days the nice an clean all black XMB wave, this color is gone. but is it possible to get it back? I already found a mod to get back the oldgameboot and coldboot, now only thing lkeft is the nice black xmb.

is there any way to get this back ?

2. 5,745
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Replacing the 24 .dds background images inside lines.qrc is not enought ? + changing the theme style to "original" or "classic" (i dont remember which one, but one of them doesnt have much visual effects)

Estox likes this.
  3. 82
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

sorry Im not so deep into it to understand what you mean ^^ No the classic themr just removes the sparkling effect of the waves and the color Black is no more provided in the color selection. darkest colors are brown and blue. I thought there is some kind of mod or file I can replace or add like coldboots and gameboots or like in psp eras get "slim" colors on the 1000 psp models.

Im trying to get my CECHB model backdate but with actual firmware :) only thing to get it visualy backdated is the black colored wave :)

4. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Attached Files:

5. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

So from what I've seen in some information ... the black wave was just a color that could be chosen just like the others. But I think it's hard to bring it back that way.......unless.....since the only visual difference was just the sparkles. Maybe checking the firmware 2.00-2.80 wave settings, it might be possible to add back to black color on the current wave. So that it can be chosen like the other colors.
    Take a look in this video:

6. 1,656
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Not really, the Noir XMB or as you call it Black, wasn't a colour of choice, but rather the Original Colour Selection, same as if you choose on a modern firmware, but instead of altering each month, this one remained pitch black, never changed, XMB Colour selection wasn't implemented into the firmware until much later updates, can't recall which but I believe it was 2.00, 1.00 and 1.50 the original Launch Firmwares still retained the Noir XMB as your only option

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

7. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Yes this was my mistake in saying that it was just one color like the others ... in the thread I created has this more detailed wave assumption ... it turns out that the difference in firmware waves from 1.76 - 2.80 to the current one. it was only the removal of the choice of the "original" theme with the black wave color ... that I believe was replaced by the sparkles ... because the color change according to the time of day and the month of the year, already was present in these firmwares 1.76 - 2.80.

8. 5,745
    sandungas

Hmmm ok, so the backgrounds of the old "original" versions was not loading the .dds image files (made with the 12 colors of the months) from inside lines.qrc
    In other words... that black background is not really an image... but mostly a polygon made with 4 vertex and filled with #000000 color (made by code)
    The kind of thing that can be made with a <Plane> inside an rco

Danxx444 likes this.
  9. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Yes @DeViL303 did it in his mods, including he even made a match with the black background, it was identical..just not perfect because of the wave that is a bit bluish..but apart from that detail was identical .... however it needs to modify the sprx plugin .. I went to use one of his mods without sprx and it didn't work, as I don't have a PS3 CFW it is not possible to use his mods ... unfortunately ... unless you have another way .. It would be cool to be able to activate the black wave in the current..but without losing the characteristics of the color change with the time of day and the month of the year. in short ... transform her as it was before.

10. 82
    Estox

Estox Forum Noob

mhmh okay, it seems to be very hard to get the old black color back, I don't mind that there is sooo much details behidn that simple wave and color. gosh xD okay than I guess will leave it as is, it'S to complecated for me ^^ don't know that there is a day and night and month rythem omg dont want to change all this manually. i tought its just drag and drop the old xmb files like you can change coldboot or gameboot.

Danxx444 likes this.
  11. 93
    sb00

sb00 Member

Yeah, I've been using a black wallpaper because I really dislike the XMB colors. All those bright colors hurt my old eyes

Estox and Danxx444 like this.
  12. 5,745
    sandungas

Im guessing is not so hard to do it, the hard thing is to find exactly what they was doing :D
    In the rco xml stuff, the planes are loaded "from top to bottom", and what you see in screen is displayed in the opposite way... so the plane most at bottom in the xml is displayed at top of the others
    And there are several rco's that uses a couple of generic planes, usually are invisibles, and if i remember right there is one specific for background
    So... if you create a black plane in the last position in the xml.... is going to cover all others (monthy wallpapers, themes, or whatever)

I never took a look at this, so im just speculating, but i bet it was made with a simple plane... mostly because is the easyest way to do it and the most efficient too
    And i cant imagine where could be located that plane... maybe in xmb_plugin.rco (or something general like system_plugin.rco)

Danxx444 likes this.
  13. 28
    Nando

Nando Forum Noob

Thanks, this files do work pretty great. The only problem now is that the gameboot isn't perfect as the particles get activated then. Does anyone know how to change that?
    Also, the colors of the UI icons (such as settings, user etc.) are still different.

14. 2,649
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    afrv likes this.
Tags: