PS2 Graphics Synthesizer Mode Selector (GSM)

App for changing resolution

1. 821
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    That's great! Thanks.

It seems, like we get what we pay for. ;)
    Literally.

Oh that. Yeah, that is an awkward thing. I guess, it is for a reason that some developers refer to it as "progressive video" mode instead of 480P.

But I still don't think we should encourage people to add code for adjusting the video modes outside of the console. If we have 1 bug there, it might stay with some software for really long, if not permanently. There are also those people who are difficult to encourage to move onto new versions.

Are you referring to PS2 games or emulators? For emulators, the actual rate of drawing should be independent of the emulated refresh rate.

For this, there is a use for a 576P mode, given that DVD video discs might have content in the PAL format. But to capitalize on the 576P mode's resolution (rather than being letterboxed), the software must also be made aware of the real resolution.

@krHACKen: sorry to bother you, but do you know why @jolek not see a progressive option for PAL DVD Video discs? Did the progressive option only apply to NTSC DVD video discs, is he using the wrong DVD player or is his PS2 (SCPH-50004) just too old?

Even if I won't help to patch up all the DVD players out there, at least this observation might be explained.

Don't worry. I just wanted you to know why I don't really think we should do all that extra work. We're here to discuss our best course of action. :)

That's why we now have a working 576P mode. That is 50Hz.

...but, I cannot help to create a new, totally original video mode. Sorry.

I just don't have the knowledge to work with the video SYNC registers. The 576P mode setup code was copied from a newer PS2, so it was already implemented by Sony and will likely work well.

That's what I meant - it was from GSM. But here, its purpose is slightly lost.

That is what I was asking about: do we ever have a case like VGA 1280x1024 is supported, but not 1024x768?
    In the past, I used to also wonder why we also needed the 720P and 1080I modes, but I eventually figured out what they can be used for; they work better for some games with certain frame buffer sizes. But there probably isn't a case where 720P is supported by the TV, but not 480P...

He's really given a purpose to these high-resolution modes. Literally.
    Previously, we just magnified whatever that was supposed to be displayed.

That's what GSM has now. It's still like that within OPL.
    But for simplificity, the user selects the video mode, which causes the related preset to be loaded.

But the reason why nobody just creates custom video modes, is because nobody knows how to.
    Otherwise, a lot of problems, like how the 576P mode wasn't fully implemented, would have probably been fixed much sooner.

Now with what I have seen recently, I think it is no longer just about telling the GS what you want, but also having to tell the DVE what you want...
    That part is truly a black box.

TnA and sandungas like this.
  2. 1,514
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Please take a look at my previous 2 posts, because I added quite a bit to it! ;)

3. 1,979
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I remember that this option (progressive scan) was also not available in SCPH-77004 for PAL DVDs,
    while I was testing PS2 DVD Player modifications:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/ps2-dvd-player-modifications.43968/.

Only when I insert NTSC DVD, I've been able to see it and enable\disable it.

@TnA you made a mess. [​IMG]

TnA likes this.
  4. 113
    krHACKen

krHACKen Developer

Yeah, progressive scan option is only available when playing an NTSC movie, regardless of the console/DVD Player revision. Not available when playing PAL DVD-Videos

TnA and jolek like this.