GUIDE: How to Install A PKG File from your PC using PS3 NET Server (ps3netsrv)

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by STLcardsWS, Nov 15, 2014.

1. 8,930
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

GUIDE: Install a PKG file from your PC (Network)
    Thanks to @aldostools for help with this guide and also for this method. :)

Things you will need

• A Cobra CFW (as Network Loading is exclusive to COBRA CFW)

This guide assumes you have PS3 Net Server setup. if you need help setting up PS3netsrv click this link
    STEPSWebMAN
    • In your shared location create a folder called "PKG"
    • Move packages (PKGs) into this folder
    • Run ps3netsrv GUI on the PC and configure webMAN's setup with the IP of your PC (displayed on the top of the window of ps3netsvr GUI).
    • Then go to ps3.aldostools.org/?ip=<your-ps3-ip-address> and select /PKG (The /PKG folder will be mounted as /dev_bdvd) If successful you will see a notification "PKG Loaded" on your PS3 soon as you select this option.
    • Then go to XMB's Install Package Files (Standard) and install any of the listed package files (found in the root of the mounted /dev_bdvd).
    STEPS IRISMAN - With IRISMAN you also have the option to mount the PKG folder to /dev_bdvd
    • After, adding the packages to your shared /PKG location (steps 1 & 2 above) Open IRISMAN and head to Global Menu
    • Then Scroll to "Initialize FTP server" , Press ::dir right: until you see "Mount /net_host/PKG as /dev_bdvd/". If successful you will see a popup notification in the upper right corner of the screen that reads "PKG Loaded"
    • Now you have the option to Install these via the XMB via the Install Package Files (Standard) location (Select YES to exit to XMB) or to install as Package bubbles select NO and it will then take you to the file manager where you can select the PKGs to be copied and once done selecting the package(s) then head to the XMB and you will see your Buubles. (if using REBUG's Install Package Manager. they will be in the PSN Content Folder)

Sdw100, rocknard and T.A.U like this.
  2. 100
    Bad Jester

Bad Jester Member

Seems this is outdated as was my version of webman.
    All working now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. 8,930
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Guide should still be valid

4. 23
    gmipf

gmipf Member

Is there a way to use PS3 Net Server with Linux and wine? After installing msvbvm50.exe, the GUI is starting and seems to be work, but the PS3 cant find the server. With VMware and Windows 8.1 it works, but only with 100MBit/s.

5. 3,214
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

PS3 Net Server GUI is just a frontend that executes ps3netsrv.exe for Windows. For Linux I recommend to use the binaries included in the following zip under the folder "linux"
    http://aldostools.org/temp/test/ps3netsrv.zip

T.A.U likes this.
  6. 23
    gmipf

gmipf Member

I thought the latest GUI is required to mount the PKG directory but this works fine. Thank you.

7. 6
    Falus

Falus Member

I don't understand WebMan's step 4. - Then go to ps3.aldostools.org/?ip=<your-ps3-ip-address> and select /PKG ....
    How exactly do I go to it? The guide makes it sound like this is a real external DNS lookup to enable a local feature.

EDIT: The above was my fault, I was using WebMan, not WebMan Mod. In WebMan Mod 1.42.01 it is a option ("Network Folder"), didn't need to use a http location at all (or at least that is how it is presented in WebMan Mod).

In Irisman 3.6, press right on "Initialize FTP Server" does nothing, but pressing left scrolls to shutdown, restart, enable cobra, et...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. 61
    houcembc

houcembc Member

i think the guide is outdated. try to tick this option in webman setup page like in this image
    Code:
    http://www.psx-place.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1307&d=1417641820
    refresh xml an restart

9. 12
    Toetje583

Toetje583 Member

Tried /net0/PKG

"PKG LOADED"

error /net0/PKG

10. 7,589
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    [MENTION=12517]Toetje583[/MENTION] to help you i need more info. Paths, software versions, etc.

11. 12
    Toetje583

Toetje583 Member

BETA v0.3 - 4.75 HABIB (COBRA v7.10)
    webMAN MOD 1.42.01
    ps3netsvr GUI 1.3

Path= D:\PS3

In this folder i created the PKG folder, and placed some PKG's in it.

12. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

I think I got the issue fixed..

it was originally net0 instead of net0/PKG
    [MENTION=12517]Toetje583[/MENTION]

Can you try this sample webMAN if you don't mind?

Here is the link of download

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gixenmhiey7sahq/webftp_server.sprx

firstly, you have to make sure your PC has "PKG" folder for the path of net0 used in netserv.

[​IMG]

Then make sure to put your host ip address in webMAN setup so that way it can scan net0.

When it's mounted, you can check the contents from pc via PS3's path of "dev_bdvd"

[​IMG]

FYI [MENTION=46]haxxxen[/MENTION] [MENTION=161]Matsumot0[/MENTION] [MENTION=89]aldostools[/MENTION] [MENTION=20]habib[/MENTION] [MENTION=118]kozarovv[/MENTION]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  13. 12
    Toetje583

Toetje583 Member

I will be able to test the outcome in a few hours, I will post back the results.

14. 7,589
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    This mean that previously PKGs also can be mapped to dev_bdvd but only if they was placed on root of net0? Instead of net0/PKG. And one more question, did you should also change this?

Code:
    {if(webman_config->netp1 && webman_config->neth1[0]) mount_with_mm((char*)"/net1", 1);}
    to

Code:
    {if(webman_config->netp1 && webman_config->neth1[0]) mount_with_mm((char*)"[B]/net1/PKG[/B]", 1);}
    To fix also net1 pkg location?

15. 3,214
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

In the webMAN.xml (available through XMB) there is an option to mount /net0/PKG as /dev_bdvd. So the change is not really needed.

Although the change proposed by Joonie works fine, the combos mount the root of "/net0" or "/net1" to allow the concurrent access to other folders like "/VIDEO", "/MUSIC", "/PICTURE", etc.

If the .pkg files are placed in the shared folder "packages" (in lower case), they should be listed on XMB (although it will depend if the xml for ★ Package Manager contains the listing for /dev_bdvd/packages or /app_home/packages)

Also mounting the shared folder "PKG" through PS3 Net Server GUI will mount that folder as the root of /dev_bdvd, and the .pkg files should appear fine on ★ Package Manager (or ★ Install Package Files)

PS. It seems that the tutorial needs an update ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. 12
    Toetje583

Toetje583 Member

Confirmed working!

1. Send the .prx to /dev_hdd0
    2. Edit boot_plugins.txt to /dev_hdd0/webftp_server.sprx
    3. Changed webman config "Scan for LAN games/videos PS3NETSRV#1"
    4. Reboot
    5. Use Select + R2+ []

"PKG Loaded"

i'm now able to install PKG files over the network.

Pss: However i replaced, category_game.xml, category_game_tool2.xml, install_package_files.xml the non rebug edition.

17. 6
    Falus

Falus Member

Thanks aldo for the ps3netsrv64. I'm running it on 1 of my NAS machines and it works great (the libc6 2.14 dependency bars it from my other, more picky NAS). The server always stays up and I have yet to see any other messages than "(Re)Connection from 1....", so it seems solid :).

18. 1
    illfated

illfated

Hey,
    I'm on Rebug 4.70.1 with Webman 1.42.02.
    I tried ps3 net server but it won't work. The aldotools link doesnt work anymore in ops post.
    Webman can see it and it is added as net0, selecting the pkg file in webman only wants to save it to a USB device, when no usb device is connected it.
    With R2+SELECT+SQUARE i can finally see the pkg files under "Install Packages" (why is this hotkey not mentioned in the first post?) but when I select a PKG file from there and:
    "An error occured during the install operation (FFFFFFFF)"
    After hitting R2+SELECT+SQUARE again it gets stuck at "Please Wait" and i cannot exit PS Button => Shutdown...

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Joonie helped me in irc
    1. Go to webman settings and enable dev_blind
    2. download http://www.mediafire.com/download/gixenmhiey7sahq/webftp_server.sprx
    3. place it via ftp in /dev_blind/vsh/module/ and restart
    4. Mounting PKG files under "Install Packages" with R2+SELECT+SQUARE works now

You're a magician Joonie :)

I was wondering about the speed though. Installing a 1gb game via USB / HDD took only a couple of seconds. via ps3netsrv it took about 5 minutes (measured^^)
    FTP Speed to the ps3 is 20megabyte/s so the network should not be at fault. Why is it so slow?
    I tracked the speed over the resource monitor of windows and it takes about 60 seconds to reach 13.000.000 Bytes/s and then goes quickly down to 5-6 and stays there, which takes pretty long for big games.
    With some PKG Files that appear in the xmb as installer later it gets stuck at "Please Wait" and only transfers data with 2-3mb/s

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  19. 135
    Turranius

Turranius Member

Quick note: If you can not see /dev_blind/ in your FTP client, just type dev_blind in the root to get in there. The folder is there, just not visable on all FTP clients.

And thanks! Just did this myself. It works but its terribly slow. 2GB PKG file has been running for 4 minutes now and its only at 5%

20. 1
    Solstar

Solstar

i follwoed the guide step by step,yet when i try to mount the pkg i get the error! net0/pkg error