PS3 Hacking the PS3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by STLcardsWS, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 850
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Soo, you use a Hardware Flasher to flash the patched dump back to the PS3, which enables installation of CFW? Thats pretty cool. Is that what PS3Xploit does?

Sounds somewhat like XBOX 360 exploitation, in which you read the NAND with a NAND-X or JR-Programmer V2, then modify the NAND and then reflash it with the programmer.
    Thats just the beginning of exploiting, whether it is JTAG or RGH, but this first step atleast sounds like No FSM Patching.

2. 2,812
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Does the same thing, with a few differences being you don't have to take apart your PS3 and don't have to downgrade. But with the NoFSM Patches you don't have to downgrade with the hardware flasher either now as long as the OFW ver is 482 or 4.83. Its a software version of what the hardware flasher does making it easier to JB your PS3.

3. 850
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    Hold up mate, so NoFSM is a software exploit without Hardware Flasher?

4. 2,812
    Cypher_CG89

The NoFSM patch is whats used to patch the dump of the flash to allow CFW on these FW's, the xploit is whats used to get the dump then write it back to the flash (Software webkit xploit or Hardware flasher) If the webkit xploit wasn't patched in the last update I assume the 4.83 NoFSM patch could of been used with this software method as well. They go together, there would be no point in dumping the flash if there was no patch to patch it with. In a sense they are both exploits in there own way. One xploits the flash dump the other xploits the console to get the dump and write it back to the PS3.

5. 850
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I see, how can I have missed this? :confused:o_O

6. 5,913
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

But you didnt mentioned the PS3 model :)
    All PS3 fats up to (and included) CECHK have the wifi/bt in a daughterboard separated from the main motherboard, and a ribbon cable in between them
    If is one of that PS3 models (and you are lucky) maybe the problem is just the ribbon cable, or could be repaired simply by buying a new wifi/bt board :)

7. 23
    pipex55

pipex55 Member

Learning every day
    Hi,

Right, I didn't mention it... it was a slim black ops 1 bunddle. I don't know exactly the CECH version, but if was manufractured on 2010 (black ops 1 released), it should be a CFW compatible (21xx or 25xx perhaps). The old man said to my cousion that his son tell him that the PS3 didn't work on wifi and the controller only works via USB.

We would have love see the console in person, but it was far away from us.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. 5,913
    sandungas

If is a slim then is a risky buy :/
    And i guess if is still on sale is because doesnt have an awesome price, otherway someone should have bought it already to repair and resell it

The failures of the wifi/bt board uses to happen because overheat and could be classifyed in 2 groups, sometimes is just a solder ball broken, this can be identifyed by using a clamp (or some rubber blocks with some weight on top) to add pressure to the wifi/bt board... and then install a firmware to test
    If the firmware is installed fine... then you have a broken solder ball, and it can be fixed by a (home made ghetto quality) reflow, or a (profesional) reballing
    The other group are all the components under the "metal shield" of the wifi/bt board... if you remove the shield there are a a couple of "chips" inside and a few capacitors and resistors, i guess can be repaired if you find which one is fryed but are very tiny so most people replaces the wifi/bt board entirelly

The good thing is the wifi/bt board is located near the border of the motherboard and separated from critical components, so doing a reflow is not specially dangerous

9. 2,812
    Cypher_CG89

I would be asking the bloke for the model no and date code, am sure if you told him where to look on the console he would be able to tell you. Then you can use the info on the devwiki to work out its probable min fw version and whether or not it CFW compatible and worth buying.

EDIT: date code 1A and below should be ok, the date code after that is where it becomes tricky as some are min FW ver of 3.56 <jailbreakable. And other's are min FW ver of 3.60<non jailbreakable.

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  10. 23
    pipex55

pipex55 Member

Learning every day
    It's a CECH 2501A (I'm from south america and the NTSC consoles don't have datacode, just manufraturing date, but he didn't give it to us) and it costs 90$. The thing is, we don't have a E3 flasher (another 80$) and we don't know anything of hardware, I'm a potato in hardware stuff, you know that @Sandungas:D:D

My cousin tell me this mornig that he found a 40GB FAT, but I don't if he will buy it (FAT=timebomb).

11. 1,355
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

My own console is a CECH-2503A, 160GB, with a MinVerChk result of 3.50. Theoretically, my model is slightly newer than yours, and so I'd hazard a guess that the minimum firmware version is either 3.40 or 3.50, but I cannot guarantee this by any means. Fingers crossed. :)

pipex55 likes this.
  12. 5,913
    sandungas

For 90$ is not worthy, if you keep searching eventually you will find something better

And the problem of not being good with hardware... well... fixing a wifi/bt board is a bit more advanced
    In the most optimistic scenario the process could be like this:
    1) open PS3
    2) use a clamp to add lot of pressure on top of wifi/bt board
    3) place heatsink in his place... connect fan
    4) turn on PS3... update to 4.82... and pray

If the problem was a solder ball the firmware installation should complete successfully... after that you could install 4.82 again... then run ps3xploit... then install a noBT CFW (incase is min firmware 3.40 or 3.50)

But thats very optimistic... incase it doesnt works is needed serious surgery to see what is inside the wifi/bt board... or to replace it completly (+ the reflow or reball to solder the new wifi/bt board)

So meh... is not a good bet, better try to find one with the bluray laser fryed :encouragement:

pipex55 likes this.
  13. 2,812
    Cypher_CG89

I agree, 90 is to steep especially for one with these issues. Just yesterday I saw 2 40GB CECH-H's for £49 each, and 2 140 GB CECH2****'s for £68 each and they all came with a 3 month warranty and guarantee, I was very tempted to buy them all, but that's here in the UK.

14. 850
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I see expensive consoles everywhere here in Sweden, we have an app called Shpock here in which you can sell things and message to each other and bidding is not legally binding. Anyway, people sell PS3s for 80-100$ easily, I have even seen 220$ without games. Its really expensive, but I searched long before I eventually found one for a lucky 40$

EVEN BROKEN ONES ARE 50$

15. 2,812
    Cypher_CG89

I saw these when I went to get a 1TB HDD for one of my PS3's. We have CEX (Central Entertainment Xchange) its the biggest retail and online buyer and seller of second hand gaming stuff in the UK they have shops all over the UK ( webuy.uk or google CEX UK) they sell and buy everything from retro to the newest high powered parts for PC. I also saw about 6 official DS3 controllers in there for £25 each. You get good prices in there for buying and selling things, but they know the value of collector items for retro so they can be a bit steep in price > Zelda64 boxed about £60+.

EDIT: I have Zelda64 boxed and sealed = £150+ to the right person but I would never sell it, I also have it open in a box but I have ripped the cartridge to a back up and now play it with RetroArch on the PC, feels strange playing it with a DS3 controller instead of the N64 controller but I hated the analogue stick on them controllers lol.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    ISAK.M likes this.
  16. 1
    jacke

jacke

merci

17. 3
    Roddy

Roddy Forum Noob

Hi guys.. Im a newbee at this. can the ps3 320 slim model 2500, be hacked and whats the process.. thanx

18. 1,355
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

See the original post of the thread - http://www.psx-place.com/threads/hacking-the-ps3.10718/

You need to run MinVerChk to ensure you have a minimum factory firmware of 3.56 or lower. You also need to be on 4.82 official firmware.

19. 3
    Roddy

Roddy Forum Noob

Thanx for the feedback! Will do..

Coldheart2236 likes this.
  20. 3
    Roddy

Roddy Forum Noob

I checked. the original version was 4.10 and I'm on version 4.84 now..