Hakchi Bug

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by pinky, May 8, 2019.

1. 10,410
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I found a serious bug with a hakchi fork (not sure if the original version does this), but when you scan nes roms, then snes roms, the list doesn't change when going from nes games to snes games. my snes list shows only has nes games. I noticed that both the games (nes) folder and the games_snes folder contains the same games after creating a list for the snes. after deleting the games, the games still exist in games_snes, but the list in the program is empty. I've created a copy of the hakchi app and folder to fix the problem. I noticed something else. the nes and the snes xml games are not removed after removing the games. if you delete the files, hakchi still reads and loads nonexistent files.

atreyu187 likes this.
  2. 5,061
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Give KMFDManic builds a try. Squashed any errors I had and his cores are finely optimized. Love my SNES Mini for playing DS games on the big screen but you have a Wii U so it's probably a better option.

pinky likes this.
  3. 10,410
    pinky

is that for retroarch or the base rom list?

4. 10,410
    pinky

@atreyu187 ,

I may have figured out a solution. I enabled "separate game storage." the app was reading games, both nes and snes, from the games folder. I cut and pasted the games from games to games_snes, then the app picked nothing up. enabling that option -- the game list picked up the snes, and was no longer listed in both nes and snes. however, I had a weird problem when downloading artwork. once it got to krusty's game, it seemingly froze. it may have been a fluke or maybe it was from moving the games, but it's odd that it would error on that one game.

5. 5,061
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

Glad ya got it sorted. I only use this one for NDS emulation. Well that and it's not mine I'm just borrowing it from a friend. I dumped the SF2 rom to make a cart but I'm quiet happy with my PSC and for $32 it makes a nice capable RA system.

pinky likes this.
  6. 10,410
    pinky

what I don't understand is why that option is disabled by default.

7. 10,410
    pinky

@atreyu187 , do you need to uninstall the games on the nes/snes classic before flashing new games/removing old games/changing artwork/etc.? or can I flash over what's on the system?

I'm not sure what happened, but dumping the flash of the snes classic err'd with hakchi ce, but it dumped without error on normal hakchi.

8. 5,061
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

I have been using a flash drive. I haven't touched any of the games onboard. It's not my system to tinker with. I am borrowing this one. I just own the PSC myself.

pinky likes this.
  9. 10,410
    pinky

from what I've read, you need to uninstall first. I'm also using a usb flash drive with the snes classic, since there's not enough storage internally. I think the nes classic can accommodate all nes roms internally though.

I just care about the system-specific roms. I don't really use retroarch. I only have it for the vita and the 3ds.

btw, did you see that there's supposed to be a cartridge loader, at least for the snes classic? I'm not sure if it's out yet, but it retails for around $60. it's probably better than the retron, which is fragile as hell and seems to have software problems. I wonder if it saves to the system or the cartridge. I hope the cartridge. I could check by saving on the device, then checking the save on the retron. the only downside is that I wish I could use the original controllers. I have 2 of each the nes, snes, and genesis along with extension cables for all 3. ::D

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  10. 10,410
    pinky

@atreyu187

edit: hmm...the cartridge loader is called the classic 2 magic. there's no NES classic equivalent though it says it works with the NES and SNES classic. you can dump your games. saves are saved to the usb drive, not the cartridges.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  11. 5,061
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Yeah I saw a YouTube video about that looks pretty neat TBH. I have only been playing the Castlevania games again. Kinda replaying them in my own order for the anniversary.

pinky likes this.
  12. 10,410
    pinky

I mostly play dkc and mega man. I play them often on the wii u. I got 103, 104, and 105% in dkc 3 on the wii u without save states. on the retron, with the actual cart, I was never able to beat lightning look out! on very hard (no dk or midway barrels). I'll probably just stick with the retron. I heard that you had to uninstall hakchi first, then install the cartridge loader's firmware which is supposed to be a hakchi mod. roms still work, but I'm not sure how they're supposed to show up, since the entire process doesn't require a pc.

atreyu187 likes this.
  13. 5,061
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

He set this up for me but I haven't gotten to far into it as I'm only using the standalone DraStic since the PSC version hasn't been ported yet. I'm amazed at how well it works and the fact the emu is closed source for Android but the dev has trusted two guys with the source code. One for the (S)NES Mini dev and one for the PSC port. It's a paid app but he is allowing it to be ported and free for the Mini system community. It's a little gwacky having to use the second pad for the sigil and stylus but none the less amazing. Even found a way around the need for a mic.

pinky likes this.
  14. 10,410
    pinky

I've flashed the snes classic (not the nes classic yet), and everything works as it should. I tested a few games, but I haven't gotten around to playing anything. what I like most is how quickly resetting the system takes you back to the games' list. it's also nice that Nintendo actually created a new os for the system, unlike the bs that is the psx classic.

I've been removing duplicates of games, other regions, fixing game names, and checking artwork. it's taken all day. I'm not sure where hakchi gets the game name as it's different from the rom .zip. I think it gets it from the game itself, 'cause the retron 5 reads and copies the game cartridge into ram. it shows the game name before loading the game itself. that's what I don't like about the retron 5. it's too much like an emulator, saves being stored on the system (unless exported), save states, filters, etc. I'm a purist at heart, which is why I don't like using roms usually, but the classics are like a collector's item.

I'm not sure how ds games are supposed to work. on the wii u, it's awkward as hell. you have several different video modes, one of which is displaying both screens on the tv. the images are pretty small too. I had read that Nintendo was going to make a ds game addon for the tv, but there were some serious problems with it, one of which was the size of the image.

15. 5,061
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    My PSC doesn't even boot to the stock UI at all. It boots directly into RetroBoot using RA front end with the Ozone skin. That being said the PSC does handle emulation of N64, PSP, CPS3, 32X and Dreamcast much better then the Mini's. The Genesis sound is also superb.

Where Sony missed devs have stepped up. And once you replace the stock emulator even the PAL games work great. But that being said the only PAL game I kept was GTA was the Euro version is the uncut version. I replaced all the rest of the PAL games with NTSC variants.

I even added the fan made Uncut version of Resident Evil which has the uncut scenes from the PC version. And for Tekken I have added the Russian "Golden" hack but replaced it with the English text. This is just a hack that enables all fighters from the start. I really prefer the PSC to the Mini systems TBH.

The controllers are great as well and use a standard USB mini connector so we can make the cords much longer. Then we can add OTG support and by removing the USB port limiter I have a nice setup that runs even USB HDD'S and USB 3.0/.1 drives with no issues.

Aside from DraStic not being ported yet it just does everything much smoother. But you do have to tweak it a bit but as modders this has always been part of the fun. The mods for the PSC are much simpler to do as well.

That being said they are all amazing systems and I really like you can use the Wii Classic pads for the Nintendo mini's as well. Just only having 6 buttons tends to be an issue for me so again I like the PSC. Add the simplicity of modding with the PSC being less then 50% of the Mini's making it the clear choice in my eyes. Now you being the Ninty fanboy you are and me being the Sony fanboy I can see where you have your preference and I have mine.

The reason the Nintendo Mini's have better games IMO is the license issues Sony had to overcome as most of their hits weren't first party games like Nintendo. Sony cheaped out and used the lukewarm first party titles and ones that were cheap to license. I still have no reason why the hell they use Tom Clancy's game though. No one thought that turd was good EVER!!

pinky likes this.
  16. 10,410
    pinky

I'm mostly a Nintendo fanboy, because I grew up with them.

I was using a no-intro set, but I wanted to see what would happen with a good merge set and clrmame pro with .dat files. unfortunately, it still creates European and Japanese duplicates without the betas, bad dumps, and hacks. there may be an option to remove regional duplicates in advanced settings (just checked, there's not :(). the main problem with other regions is the fact that games go by different names depending on the region, and I don't want more than one of any particular game, so I'm thinking about deleting those games. there are also gamecube versions of games, which I don't know what that means, as well as proto games, which I assume means prototype? the no intro set has super mario bros. as proto with no other rips available. this is not the case with the good merge set. there also revisions of games. with my cartridge of dkc 2 -- its the original version, but there's one or two revisions out there. one thing I noticed was that the barrels in Barrel Bayou must be spun manually in the original version while the revision has them spinning automatically, which might be harder. :-p

I wouldn't know what to rip with the psx classic. I have over 300 discs. the upside is that I wouldn't need to use my ps2. it has a working laser, but my tv doesn't support 240p. however, when I tried Final Fantasy VII, it looked ugly as hell. I bought the game for the switch, and it actually looks quite good. I just made it to the last stage a few days ago. :)

speaking of final fantasy, my friend told me that the ps4 got an inferior version of final fantasy xii compared with the xbone and the switch. I'm not sure what the price is on the ps4, but the switch has it at $50. that's pretty damn expensive for a game that old. I beat that game on the ps2, but it was the beta version, which afaik, was no different than the final version. it took me around a month, but I ended up beating it before the game was actually released. :-p

17. 10,410
    pinky

alright, I sorted out the roms of the goodmerge set. the no-intro set seems to have more of them including several prototypes. I compared the prototypes of each one, and the no intro set didn't have any additional ones. sorting them took hours, wasted time.

18. 10,410
    pinky

@atreyu187 , I noticed something regarding the retron 5 a few days ago. I'm not sure if you're aware, but removing snes cartridges from the system is hard as hell. there's no eject button like the snes, so you can actually pick up the system by just gripping the cartridge. the difficulty of removal seems to be dependent on the game. dkc 2 is hard as hell. I'm afraid of damaging the teeth inside the slot. I then tried illusion of gaia. that one was much easier. snes carts can come with either 1 or 3 chips (the part that goes into the system). I think this is the reason why some hybrid consoles can't run certain games. I'm not sure if the retron 5 can run them. anyway, both dkc 2 and illusion of gaia use one, but there's varying degrees of difficulty removing the cartridge. imo, this is the biggest problem with the system. it's why I keep cartridges plugged in.

btw, I have a hypothesis as to why the snes flash cart doesn't work with the retron 5. whenever you insert a cart, it's loaded into memory, and the game name is displayed (not sure what it would say with a flash cart). my guess is that the ram can't handle more than one game.

edit: btw, I forgot to mention, but hyperkin made a youtube video on how to remove a cartridge. lol wtf.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    atreyu187 likes this.
  19. 5,061
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Yeah the three prong carts have more RAM and out of the ordinary DSP-1 chips. Especially Super FX 1/2 chips. I honestly haven't ran into a Retron 5 I have been able to use myself. I had one of the older variants and for the life of me can't recall which one it was. Pretty sure it's the three slot one for NES, SNES & Mega Drive.

pinky likes this.
  20. 10,410
    pinky

might've been the retron 3. I believe the duo only plays nes and snes. those are the only hybrids I know about. I was thinking about buying the cartridge loader for the snes classic, but I read that it doesn't have a power button, so you have to unplug the power cable to turn it off. I was unable to find an equivalent for the nes classic.

atreyu187 likes this.