Hakchi Bug

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by pinky, May 8, 2019.

1. 5,793
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Should work on it as they are indentical hardware aren't they? And Retron 3 sounds right. I recall it was black and red. And I could use regular SNES pads.

pinky likes this.
  2. 12,139
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

yeah, the retron 3 is black and red. I think it might be blue too. the red color may be to emulate the original famicom. speaking of which, the famicom actually had the controllers attached to the console, like some of the older pong consoles, which they corrected with the nes.

the retrons are radically different from the official consoles. the snes had three chips (the controller, the video, and the audio). the retrons have them all condensed into one chip. that could be partly why it isn't 100% perfect emulation. I found a webpage with ways to improve the retron via soldering points on the board. there were a lot of different mods. I think that was for the retron 3. you have more options with the retron 5, since it's basically an emulator. I read that they're like gateway from the 3ds, or sx-os on the switch in that they used stolen, emulator code with the systems.

3. 12,139
    pinky

@atreyu187 , I remember the snes being poorly region locked. inside the cartridge slot were two tabs, which you could break off with some pliers. I'm not sure why they did that, but snes games had these slits to fit around those tabs; super famicom games didn't (not sure if snes games could be played on the super famicom). I imported a few games including dragon quest vi back then. it came complete including a shitty blue and white map. I got pretty far into that game (I wonder if my save still exists?). the retron 3 and 5 don't have those tabs. :-p

4. 5,793
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yeah I had Dragonball for the SFC back in the day but that worked for most games. A few here and there still didn't work with the tabs removed.

5. 12,139
    pinky

I still have ys 4 for the super famicom. I beat it. speaking of which, I bought ys 4 for the turbo grafx cd. it's slightly different than the super famicom version. funny thing about that system is that you can play other region games, even burns with the cd attachment. only the hucards have ap measures, but I saw a diagram on how to remove them by diverting two or three pins.

ys has held a special place in my heart since the beginning. my grandfather owned the turbo grafx, and he'd/we'd only progress when I was over at his house. he died before we could beat it. I bought ys 8 for the switch. I beat it, but my save was lost when my NAND got corrupted. I started a new game, and I'm at the last stage again. I've beaten all of them except ys 5, which is too different that I think sucks.

edit: it may be region locking instead of ap (can't remember). the thing about those cds is that each game requires a system card which is inserted into the hucard slot. ys book 1 and 2 only needs version 1. I had to buy version 3 for ys 4. if you use the wrong system card, an anime picture will display telling you that the card is incompatible with the software. I'm not sure if it's a part of the system card, system, or game, but I'm think it's the game, since ys 4 shows the message in Japanese.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. 12,139
    pinky

7. 12,139
    pinky

@atreyu187 , I dumped trials of mana from the mana collection. I'm going to add it to hakchi, speaking of which all artwork for original games seems to have disappeared. I redownloaded hakchi ce to have it build the original games' information again, and it also doesn't download artwork. must be something wrong with the database it gets that information from.

anyway, the checksum for trials of mana is bad. it's good for secret of mana, so I assume that they overlaid a patch on the game without fixing the checksum. afaik, it doesn't matter if the checksum is bad with emulators, and I guess with the switch, but I don't know about hakchi (probably not). I tried fixing it the way I usually do, which has worked with other patched games, but it didn't work despite the checksum being correct. it still shows up as a bad in emulators. I then tried a different method. that one seems to be okay. emulators now say that the checksum is good.

8. 12,139
    pinky

I found a very odd game when it comes to its checksum: final fantasy v. I had fixed trials of mana using a command line, but this didn't seem to work with final fantasy v. it said that the checksum was wrong, then fixed it. then, testing it in two emulators, it said "checksum bad." I then tried a gui, the "fixed" rom showed up as bad, so I repaired it. it then showed up as good in both emulators but bad again via command line. what's really odd is that the checksum and accompanying text is written in yellow in snes9x while all other patched roms (with or without command line) show up as white. it only does this in snes9x. I even tried tricking it into thinking it was a genesis game. that didn't work either. it's the only problematic game I have. it now says "ok" in both emulators, but the different colored text and the fact that the checksum calculates to two different values, essentially contradicting one another makes me worried.

9. 12,139
    pinky

alright, a third app says that the checksum is "okay." what's weird is that this game (patched) doesn't seem to be in any databases, including the one for clrmamepro, which is what I used to remove duplicates of files. I had to add in all patched roms. anyway, I messed with the settings of ucon64 a bit. I got a different checksum this time. game worked but again bad checksum in all apps. I then tried a few other things - checksum changed again, but the game no longer booted up. I think that's when I interleaved the rom. I was reading some documentation on ucon64, and it said that some things in a rom can cause it to be read incorrectly, so the bad checksum may not be accurate. it did fix trials of mana while another app screwed it up. my guess is that the problem rests in the header somewhere while the rom's checksum is correct.

10. 12,139
    pinky

interesting: hakchi uses .nes for its nes games, but it converts .sfc and .smc to .sfrom for the snes. I extracted the patched games and found two of them had screwed up checksums again. I deleted them from hakchi's database, then readded them. now, they check out as okay. perhaps a glitch or a bug? the other patched games checked out as good. my hakchi database is complete.

11. 12,139
    pinky

about a week ago, I finished building my hakchi set (just hadn't flashed it yet). I did that just now. I wasn't sure of the correct procedure, but I uninstalled hakchi first. I had to find a kernel image for it, since all I had was the snes kernel image. when I uninstalled the software, I guess I left nothing on the system, because the system would shutdown immediately after powering on. apparently, reflashing the games (the original games) requires a custom kernel image to be made. after I did that, I checked the system. it booted up correctly and only with the original games. I made my own dump of the kernel after that. hex compared it with the one I found online, and they were identical. anyway, I then synced my game collection with the nes mini and flashed it again. now, all games are there, and the patched games work as well. I need to do the snes mini next. I have a small (very small) thumb drive that I bought before I flashed it the first time. the internal memory isn't large enough to accommodate every snes game, so you have to use an adapter with a thumb drive to get everything. there's not really any difference in terms of speed by doing that.

12. 12,139
    pinky

snes classic/mini was a success as well. this time, when you uninstall haxchi, it doesn't require a custom kernel to get the original games back. patched games work with this as well.

13. 12,139
    pinky

I just tested trials of mana. it black screens. I read about there being some issue with it if using the default emulator, but I'm not familiar with that aspect of haxchi.

14. 12,139
    pinky

alright, we have success through retroarch. game works with or without fixed checksum. I just readded my fixed game.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. 12,139
    pinky

I now have hakchi just right. all games are using retroarch now in widescreen. not true widescreen I guess, but I hate those bars.

edit: I also removed the default games from hakchi (they're still there if you don't use the adapter). they were basically duplicates.

edit 2: I also fixed alphabetizing. normally, it alphabetizes everything correctly except SUP folder. the prefix is too short, so it's the wrong location. I just extended the prefix.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  16. 12,139
    pinky

so far so good with the original cable and adapter. I've gotten a c8 error a couple times, which seems to be indicative of having too many games (possibly in folders), so I installed the c8 deterrent. it's supposed to be for when shutting down the system, but the only times I've encountered it (only twice) was when I was starting a game, and when I reset another game. I installed that mod earlier today. I'm going to play some games on the snes classic to make sure it works. if it doesn't, I'll spread out the games more. I've already had to fix alphabetizing, because some of the folders were out of order.

17. 12,139
    pinky

haxchi didn't seem to like a folder with 31 roms in it, so I reduced the number of roms/folder to 25. 30 is like the cutoff point or else c8 error can happen when exiting a rom.

18. 12,139
    pinky

not sure if it's hakchi, but I noticed that the nes classic (with its controller's and extension cables) is extremely responsive. it's like there's no delay whatsoever. the snes classic has a very small delay (milliseconds), but the nes classic is impressive. I'm not sure if it's related to hakchi though. I'm using the default emulator on the nes classic and retroarch on the snes classic (just for full screen). the default emulator on the snes classic (called canoe) is faster at loading than retroarch, but you don't have many options.