have someone try ezchill ps3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by joe musashi, Jul 17, 2018.

1. 167
    joe musashi

joe musashi Member

MY PS3 HAD BEEN FIXED FROM YOLD AND IT WORKS GOOD BUT I HAVE TO FOCUS THE AIR CONDITION ON IT TO KEEP IT COOL BECAUSE IN NORMAL ROOM TEMPERATURE ITS FAN START WORKING LOUDLY AND I'M AFRAID TO GET ANOTHER YOLD SO I FOUND A GADGET ITS NAME EZCHILL THAT IS KEEP MY PS3 FAN RUN SO COOL SO HAVE SOMEONE HERE TRY IT FOR HIS PS3?

2. 1
    Ray Collins

Ray Collins Forum Noob

executive
    Home Page:
  3. 517
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

@joe musashi
    yes i have and they are awesome, i get one for every ps3, and i found a guy in GB that does ps4 and xbone for like 20.00 a pop and all variable so you can adjust according too.

4. 5,048
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The EZchill was a bad idea from beginning, it sets the fan to a static speed making it "insensitive" to the thermal sensor values, and thats dangerous

This one is way better
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstatio...elerator-Controller-resist-YLOD-/190647913368
    It respects all factory functions, included:
    -thermal sensors reading with miliseconds precission
    -dinamic speed adjustments
    -noise reductions
    -it works on PS2 mode (because is not firmware dependant, it works without firmware)

ntodek, x64, T.A.U and 2 others like this.
  5. 167
    joe musashi

joe musashi Member

really it's good?
    so you said that is much better are you using it?

6. 5,048
    sandungas

Yes i have one, and incase it was cheaper and free shipping i would buy more XD
    In my oppinion is a bit expensive, because this is the kind of thing that could be made under 2$ of materials costs, so it should be sold by 5$ or so
    But is worthy, and there are no other "devices" working like this one, this is the only

This same guy makes this "fan accelerator" for PS4 too btw, and works in the same way (search in his shop, the ones of green color for PS4)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    ntodek, T.A.U, DeViL303 and 1 other person like this.
  7. 5,048
    sandungas

To be clear... im going to explain why the EZchill is wrong in concept... is a bad idea
    Watch this video

At minute 0:47 it can be seen how the PWM pin is not connected !!!
    [​IMG]

The PWM pin carries a signal that is the responsible of the fan speed, the faster is the "pulse" the faster the fan spins, ok ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation
    Well, that PWM signal is generated by SYSCON chip
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Syscon_Hardwarehttp://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Syscon_Hardware
    SYSCON is an ARM processor that works independently of the firmware (this is why syscon can controll the fan even in the special boot modes where the firmware is not loaded, such the "fan test" mode, in "PS2 mode", "otherOS" mode, or any other boot mode)
    http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Boot_modes#Fan_test

Additionally, the main thermal sensors of the PS3 motherboard (for CELL and RSX) are connected to SYSCON
    SYSCON has a communication channel dedicated to the thermal sensors that works in a accuracy of miliseconds
    And it does some "logic" (either because is running some code or made with electronics subcircuits internally) that monitors the thermal sensors, uses timers (to reduce noise levels) and other cool stuff

Because the EZchill is not connected to this PWM line it means is insensitive to thermal sensors !!!! and you lose also the other features (noise reduction patterns, dynamic fan speed adjustment, etc)
    Lets say with the EZchill the fan controll is working in "brainless mode", because is not doing any "logic" and is not even connected to the thermal sensors
    And this is dangerous as you could imagine... because EZchill gives a F%$# about the real temperature
    Actually if you set the fan speed with EZchill to X speed (anyone) and the PS3 starts overheating (for some reason) the fan speed is going to stay the same... until the PS3 burns
    EZchill doesnt cares because doesnt even knows what is a thermal sensor, see the point ? :)

What EZchill does is to generate the PWM signal by itself... based in a potentiometer you have to regulate with the hand !!!! and using the accurate method of ear noise !!!
    Of course it can push you into problems if your hand or ear is not accurate

Or if you have kids... one day a kid changes the potentiometer and nobody in the house will realize (because the fan is not doing any annoying noise, so there is no signal of alarm) until the PS3 burns

T.A.U, DeViL303 and kozarovv like this.
  8. 7,522
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I wasn't aware that something like this exist. Seems to be nice solution for consoles without CFW.

9. 5,048
    sandungas

Yep, is compatible with official and custom, and all PS3 models as far i know (because sony used the same fan connectors in all PS3 models)

The difference when installing it is you have to chose one of the values in the roulette with an screwdriver
    For a PS3 slim if i remember right... with +20% is enought to keep it working around 70ºC max
    For a PS3 fat i guess +40%
    A PS3 fat in a very warm country... in summer... and with old thermal paste... maybe you have to set it up to 60%

The good thing of it is that values are "added" to the original PWM signal sent by syscon
    Lets say... syscon sends a fan speed of 35%... and you have configured it at +20%... this results in 55% fan speed

Is nice because syscon is still controlling everything like from factory... is just we are increasing the speed a bit :)

In my oppinion is a perfect solution, before i found that seller i was looking in internet how to make this exactly, and this is the only "device" i could find that does it
    This was years ago, not sure if at this point some other manufacturer copyed the idea or there is some chinese shop manufacturing them and selling like candies

Edit:
    Actually, the manufacturing costs can be reduced a lot, by:
    -removing the connectors (so you need to cut original fan wires and solder them in it)
    -removing the roulette (can be replaced by 2 lines of "pads" so you connect 2 pads with a drop of solder)

I wanted to butcher mine to reverse it a bit and try to clone... but the fact is i never did, one day i installed it (years ago) and since then i had no need to open my PS3 ever again or to worry about the different solutions to make "fancontroll by software" (good bye problems)

jacobsson and kozarovv like this.
  10. 167
    joe musashi

joe musashi Member

thanks for every thing i'm going to buy it hope it works good

11. 517
    barelynotlegal

barelynotlegal Member

It’s works. Have had it for around 5 years or so. The one I get from GB actually monitors and adjust according I think 10 percent but I have mine set just under a jet engine. I live in phx am and it’s always warm and dusty sooo.

12. 5,048
    sandungas

But the EZchill and the other i explained (the seller names it "fan accelerator") works in a very different way
    In my previous posts i tryed to debunk EZchill because "is not good enought"... and the same principles can be aplyed to any fan regulation made with a potentiometer
    The point is... if the original PWM signal from motherboard is not used (the grey wire of the fan connector) then some of the features from factory are missing
    If at some point you need another one i suggest to dont buy the EZchill and buy the other i suggested instead
    I think all the fame from EZchill is just propaganda and marketing... it doesnt deserves it and is very expensive

The other "fan accelerator" i suggested can be seen as a "multiplyer" of the original PWM signal, and the multiplyer factors are like this:
    1.1x
    1.2x
    1.3x
    1.4x
    1.5x
    1.6x
    1.7x
    1.8x
    1.9x
    2.0x

If the motherboard sends a value (lets say 10%)... the "fan accelerator" multiplyes it by a factor (lets say 1.5x)... so it results in 15%
    If the motherboard sends a value (lets say 20%)... the "fan accelerator" multiplyes it by a factor (lets say 1.5x)... so it results in 30%
    If the motherboard sends a value (lets say 40%)... the "fan accelerator" multiplyes it by a factor (lets say 1.5x)... so it results in 60%
    And so on... the faster is the original PWM signal... the bigger is the addition... so it grows exponentially

----------------------
    And as a curiosity sake, if you think in this you will realize the roulette with 10 positions doesnt needs to have so much positions
    Because along normal operation of the PS3 the syscon is going to send speeds of around 50% (up or downn)
    If you apply a multiplyer of lets say 1.8x to that 50%... is going to push up the fan speed to near 100% speed... and thats not needed

So in the practise nobody is going to use multiplyers bigger than 1.6x ... because are excesive, even in the worst scenarios posibles, having the fan speed at 100% is not normal, lol
    If someone needs to have the fan speed at 100% then this PS3 has a big problem and this kind of mod are not the solution, lol

In short... the "fan accelerator" i like doesnt needs a roulette with 10 positions... probably with this 5 should be enought
    1.2x
    1.3x
    1.4x
    1.5x
    1.6x

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  13. 167
    joe musashi

joe musashi Member

so you said that i should not buy ez chill at all?

14. 5,048
    sandungas

Correct-o
    I made an effort to explain why, if people doesnt understands me im out

This kind of threads are repetitive though... so i will return to it eventually, lol
    I never get tired of debunking bad ideas, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  15. 3
    cfreddykrueger

cfreddykrueger Forum Noob

I just got one of these in the mail today. I’m putting it in my CECHA01 60 gig fat. Would you recommend setting it to 50% Both IHS has been Delid and fresh thermal paste directly on CPU/GPU and on top of both IHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. 5,048
    sandungas

Hehe, good find, is probably the best thing i bought for PS3 ever :encouragement:

For a CECHA with both IHS's delided i suggest to set it at +40% for the first test
    Make the tests calmly (several days keeping an eye at temperatures while playing), if you have some game where you know for sure there is a point where temperature goes to max try to play it several times at that point to make some stress tests
    And use webman in syscon mode (a.k.a. fancontrol disabled) to display the temperatures while doing the tests

Edit:
    And btw... in this first days that you are doing tests... dont screw the top plastic shell of the PS3
    You need to make all the tests with the plastic shell in his place... but is better to dont screw it because this way you can remove it easilly to configure the fan mod by rotating the roulette (instead of the 40% i said maybe you can lower it to 30%)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    cfreddykrueger likes this.
  17. 5,603
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    I have one of these in my B-01 after delidding it keeps as cool as my slims. The only reason I use the Ez Chill is because it's my online system as well. No fan control while online. Not that I ever actually use it but after getting all the hardware flasher stuff installed and it never having any issues it was more or less just out of paranoia but they work great.

18. 3
    cfreddykrueger

cfreddykrueger Forum Noob

Thanks for the advice. I guess the main reason I bought this fan mod is to have better fan control without modding the system. I will say that I have not jailBroke this system yet. (I know I’m chicken) I’m hesitant to do it because I’ve had this system since December 2007 so it has some sentimental value to me. The last thing I want to do is brick this system by trying to Jail brake it. The only feature I would love to have is the ability to control and monitor my CPU and GPU temps. Would you recommend that I jail brake the system to get Webman for the soul purpose of control fan utility? I apologize for getting off topic a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. 5,048
    sandungas

No, since you have bought the mod i suggested you dont need to use any software fancontrol anymore
    But what could be very convenient to you (at least temporally while making tests to find your better setup) is to run a software to display the temeprature values of CELL/RSX

Webman can display the temperature values while having disabled the fancontrol functions
    This allows the PS3 to work with the syscon factory settings (s the speed is controlled only by the mod), but it can display temperatures

And no worries btw, is not oftopic :)
    The EZ chill is a completly different thing than what i was talking about, i dont want people to get confused because the way how they works is very different

The "accelerator" we have does this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstatio...elerator-Controller-resist-YLOD-/190647913368
    1) Takes the output signal of syscon
    2) Increases it in a percentage (respecting the original value but boosting it)
    3) Sends it to the fan

The EZ chill does this:
    1) It doesnt takes the output signal of syscon (is ignored completly)
    2) Replaces it completly by a static speed
    3) Sends it to the fan

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  20. 167
    joe musashi

joe musashi Member

so should i buy it?