HDD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by efiste2, Sep 15, 2019.

1. 24
    efiste2

efiste2 Forum Noob

Is it an easy swap to upgrade the HHD on my PS3, As quick "google" looks as though it could be complicated for my capabilities

2. 11,933
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

it's very easy. on a slim, it's just unscrew one screw, pull the plastic piece over, then take the hdd out. it's easier to put the hdd in while the system is upside down btw.

edit: btw, this doesn't void the warranty according to the sony website, so don't worry about that either.

3. 24
    efiste2

efiste2 Forum Noob

Thanks for t he advice, Do I need to make a backup of the existing drive first, its not so much the games, but my CFW files and folders etc etc.....

4. 11,933
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

you'll have to reinstall the firmware anyway, so cfw files won't matter. if you have games, saves, or trophies, you can get games and saves (dev_hdd0/home/0000000x pretty easily. it might be easiest to get trophies from cloud (if you sign in to psn). that directory I mentioned is your profile's. the x is the user number on the system, so it might be 1 or even 3. each one of those is a separate account.

5. 24
    efiste2

efiste2 Forum Noob

There lies my issue, I didnt install my CFW, I paid a local "expert" to do whatever he needed to do to mkae my PS3 play PS1/PS2 games etc etc and I know he reversed the updates to allow that to work, but with the advice from you guys I have learnt the basics, but reinstalling the CFW sounds like I could mess things up....