PS2 HDLGameInstaller

Discussion in 'PS2 Homebrew' started by sp193, Dec 16, 2015.

1. 1,374
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I've also tried new version.
    After 1st run, I'm getting:
    [​IMG]
    Then:
    Error: failed to acquire an IP address from DHCP server.

When I set in options static IP, error is gone.

When I'm trying to connect with PS2 typing 192.168.0.10 and "hitting" connect button
    this error comes out:
    [​IMG]
    I've tried many times to connect, but all attempts fails.

2. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Quit and start the server again. Since you're suffering from severe frame losses, it is possible for the connection to be disrupted.
    If the TCP implementation on the server still thinks that the PC is connected, then it will never allow a reconnection. The proper way to fix this, is to fix the connection (Realtek's problem).

The colour of the link does not change back to the unvisited link colour, since the link remained the same.
    In the past, I would be issued a new link whenever I deleted and uploaded new files to Mediafire. But I noticed recently that they now allow me to replace files, without changing the link URL.

pinky likes this.
  3. 1,374
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I've tried to start the server few times, but sometimes only 1 out of 10 attempts works,
    even so when I try to install game at 99%, connection seems to be lost.

So for now I have to wait for Raltek support
    or use HDLGameInstaller-0814B (29/05/2018) or even 0.813 (with very low transfer).

4. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    There is another thing you can do, but I really think you should consider this very carefully since the driver is from 2008... lol. You can try using the NDIS 6.20 driver and enable flow control there.

This driver can be selected from the device manager (choose to pick the driver manually). It will be listed as a compatible device driver, for Realtek devices.

5. 11,932
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I seem to recall this as well. :D

6. 1,374
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I've tried the driver from official Realtek site (for RTL8111B):
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false.
    WinXP and Server 2003 Auto Installation Program.

Driver is from 2018-01-25 (ver 5.836.125.2018), so it's quite new.

I've installed driver from the device manager, but it didn't help me to get flow control enabled in HDL.
    With new driver I still have a problem with getting connection lost.

From where can I download NDIS 6.20 driver (you can send a PM if you want)?

To be sure, I have tested OPL to see if there is something wrong,
    but everything seems to be fine.

I forgot to add that I needed to config my connection once more in Network Config in Win XP
    (add static IP address 192.168.0.10, etc.), when I installed new driver,
    but I think that should be treated like a curiosity.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  7. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I've also tried multiple driver versions. My original version was from 2015, then I upgraded to 28/03/2018, then to the latest 11/05/2018.
    I've also gone back to drivers from 2010, but it did nothing.

It's part of Windows.

But I was wrong, it's not listed as a compatible driver. You need to choose the option to pick the driver.
    It is listed under "Realtek", and will be named something like "Realtek RTL8168B/RTL8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)".
    I'm using Windows 7, so the name and version may be slightly different on Windows XP.

OPL cannot saturate the Ethernet connection. We're only getting this problem because the PS2 is starting to be able to respond so quickly, that the sender can send very quickly.
    OPL can only get 2-3MB/s, while we can get up to 9MB/s.

8. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    HDLGameInstaller v0.816 Re-released!

Changelog for v0.816:
    • Re-released with the corrected PFS and USBHDFSD modules.
    If you have downloaded the original release of v0.816, please replace your copy.
    The original release was built with a bugged USBHDFSD module, which has issues. While HDLGameInstaller does not write to a USB disk, I made a new package to ensure that my work has quality.

Downloads/Links
    HDLGameInstaller project page (downloads at bottom): https://sites.google.com/view/ysai187/home/projects/hdlgameinstaller

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
    jolek and bguerville like this.
  9. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    HDLGameInstaller v0.816 Re-released!

Changelog for v0.816
    • Improved rendering of button labels between half-width and full-width characters.
    • Fixed freeze when network connection is unavailable.
    • Updated PFS to correct creation of "Your Saves" folder.
    • Fixed save-file generation.
    • Settings will be automatically saved once the defaults are loaded, if the user never saved the settings before.
    • Improved network performance.
    • NEW! - Re-released with the corrected PFS and USBHDFSD modules.
    • NEW(ER)! - Re-released with the corrected PFS module, to allow the configuration file to be saved correctly.

To be honest, I had doubts about whether the recent changes to PFS would really prevent problems with saving the configuration file. But better to be safe than sorry, right?

On a side note, LaunchELF has been updated to support HDD-based paths. So by using a new build of LaunchELF, one can boot this piece of software from the HDD unit.
    (We are no longer restricted to only FHDB)

Downloads/Links
    HDLGameInstaller project page (Downloads at bottom): https://sites.google.com/view/ysai187/home/projects/hdlgameinstaller

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
    CountDuckula, jolek and aldostools like this.
  10. 1,374
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I've found something strange in latest HDLGameInstaller v0.816 from 18/06/2018.

When I'm trying to install game from disk and I want to edit
    Full title, OSD title line 1, OSD title 2, additional "!" will be added before title.
    eg. !THPS3, !TR Legend.

I haven't tried to install game through network, because it'll probably fails at 99%.

Anyway, did you get any response from Realtek?

11. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I know that the installation UI is getting more unstable, but I don't actually know where it is going wrong because of its size... :|
    Does the ! get added only if you access the soft keyboard, or is it always there once the screen is displayed?

The code is also quite different between the PS2 and PC-based installations. Input gathering and processing is done on the PC side, so anything that doesn't work right on the PS2 will likely not affect the PC side.

No, so I sent a new message yesterday to ask about it. The representative wrote that they have not made progress on the problem...

12. 1,374
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Here is how it looks when I want to install game (everything is fine):
    [​IMG]

When I want to edit (additional "!" will be added):
    [​IMG]

So yes, additional "!" is added when I access soft keyboard (edit something).

BTW I've notice that "!" it's the 1st symbol on that keyboard.
    I've checked my DS2 to avid double clicking with padtest.elf.
    Everything is OK.

Well at least "we know" that maybe now they are working on some kind of a fix.

13. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Just a question. Would the lwip-timer-backport and the things related to the previous ARP-'Kickout'-Fix be of any use here (to this project)?

I wonder if it might be of use for those networks with a lot devices as well!

Regarding Flow-Control: I had a similar issue, when I was using a new OS (Win10 Pro x64) on an older Mainboard and the basic Chipset-Drivers caused it.

It was on one of either of these 3 main-boards: ASUS M3N78-EM (pretty sure, it was that one), or ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe, or AsRock N68-S UCC...

What kind of OS where you using?

In my case I manually had to look up the Chipset and also scanned it via CPU-Z, GPU-Z, etc.
    Then I downloaded the driver; installed it (via setup); rebooted; had to manually install some drivers via device-manager (but could often let it automatically find the driver in that folder, where the package [from Nvidia?] was unpacked to); rebooted and had no network-related problems anymore.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  14. 692
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Thanks. So I probably made a mistake while updating the soft keyboard.
    With some luck, I can also find the reason why this part is also sometimes unstable.

She never actually wrote that they were going to do anything about it, but I do hope they will.
    It's not even about just the PS2 itself, but the function does not even work with some of the Realtek adaptors (in Windows).

No. HDLGameInstaller uses the modules from the PS2SDK.
    The PS2SDK now uses lwIP v2.0.0, which does not have those problems that the in-game lwIP stack has. That old in-game stack was from SMS, which was probably based on an early version of lwIP from 2004 (Estimated to be v0.7.x).

Are you having issues with HDLGameInstaller? Network functionality has been improved drastically over the past few versions, and I am not sure if you have tried the new version yet.

If you are referring to how it seems like network activity seems to spike at regular intervals, that is probably caused by the DMA channel being shared with the HDD unit.

We're using the latest drivers from Realtek. The Realtek adaptor does not advertise support for flow control, but it is perhaps a driver issue; at the BIOS, in Linux or if the Microsoft driver is used, flow control is advertised.
    I found that using the Microsoft-provided driver allows for decent network speeds and there are no frame drops.

As for Linux, I don't know if flow control actually works there, even though its r8168 driver advertises support for it; there seems to be no code that enables it and ethtool reports that the interface does not support flow control.
    When I try to change the setting with ethtool, it reports that the driver does not support flow control.

Flow control is likely no longer really necessary for Fast Ethernet devices to communicate properly.
    My Lenovo Z460 was from 2010 and its RTL8102E also shares this problem. But I never had issues with getting 12MB/s file transfers across the local network - likely meaning that our computers and network equipment are fast enough to sustain 100Mbit Full-Duplex, even without flow control.

It does not seem to affect all Realtek devices, as we also have Realtek devices that do not have such issues - despite using the same driver.
    For example, @jolek is using RTL81111B, which is a Gigabit NIC that has this issue. On the other hand, my desktop PC (RTL8168B) and newer laptop (RTL8168GU) do not have this problem...

On AssemblerGames, another user had something similar... but it was with an Intel NIC. He tried using another PC that had a Qualcomm NIC, and the problem did not occur there.
    So perhaps not all manufacturers have implemented flow control. But yet, it's likely not a problem for general use in 2018...

15. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Ah, you are right! Sorry, it was just a 'quick shot'... ^^ I forgo, that it used a SMSTCPIP-Variation. Sorry about that!

No, no problems here, but the last revision I tested is some months old and had something with 4MB/s. I know that this has almost doubled during the past few releases, but I currently do not have one of my PS2s with a genuine Sony-NWA with me!
    I currently solely have a never opened/NoMod SCPH-50004 with a Gamestar-Adapter (which admittedly also has issues in older Homebrew-Apps, seemingly with smap.irx...), so I can't test it currently.

16. 1,374
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

With HDLGameInstaller v0.817, I'm still having connections problems:
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes I get connected from the first time, sometimes twice, sometimes from the four time.
    The same situation is after I hit 99%.
    So it's still hit or miss for me.

Overall transfer is quite good (average ~5000 KB/s).
    I know Realtek. :(

On upside, is that now app loads very quick, when I've set manual network settings.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    TnA likes this.
  17. 27
    CountDuckula

CountDuckula VIP PSX-Place Supporter

I am also having the same issue as jolek when using HDLGameInstaller-0817. Installation gets to 99%, stays there for about a minute then gives the 'connection to the console has been lost' error.

Intel(R) 82579V NIC through an old netgear N750 modem/router.

After this I've tested with the older HDLGameInstaller-0813, installed 20 games without any problems.
    The 'network status' page lists 100mbit full duplex and no errors.

The speed under version 0817 was impressive, averaging 7200KB/sec compared to around 4700-4800KB/sec for version 0813 :)

I've just modded my official network adaptor for SATA and chucked a 1.5TB 2.5" drive (shucked from an external hdd, cheaper than a standalone drive... never understood that) in the PS2, so have a lot of transferring to do :)
    So much quieter than the old 320GB 3.5" PATA drive that was in there, bet it draws a hell of a lot less power too.

18. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Weird... It sounds as if it were waiting for something (locking up somewhere).

Since which version does it happen?

19. 27
    CountDuckula

CountDuckula VIP PSX-Place Supporter

The failing at 99% seems to have started after version 0813, although I do seem to recall it happening very occasionally witn 0813 when I first set up my network adaptor about a year ago.

I've spent much of today testing and it does appear that the problems at 99% occur on my main PC, but not from my ancient netbook running win7 that I use as a download box.

Desktop: i7 2600k, win10, firewall and windows defender real time disabled. Intel(R) 82579V NIC
    Netbook: old atom n450 based ,win7, no windows defender. Atheros AR8132 NIC
    Both connected to ps2 via netgear N750 modem/router

In short I've installed about 40 games using 0813 on my desktop without the issue, about 50% success rate with 0817 on the desktop. The other 50% I either get the connection lost error about 90 seconds after it stalls at at 99% transferred and the ps2 has frozen, or 'game was not installed properly' error also at 99% and the PS2 has disconnected from the PC client but is responsive.
    0814A stalled at 99% then after 20 seconds or so gave error ‘Error writing to game -8192’
    The same games installed fine using 0813 afterwards.

On the netbook I've now installed 12 games without any issues at 99% using 0817.

From both computers and both 0813 and 0817, the speed seems to drop off the more files have been transferred. Rebooting the PS2 does seem to improve the speed again for a while but perhaps I'm misreading the results.

A bunch more (likely useless) info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YXipzUbP23PA0Llk9bvBktO59qc7ZlT574fjHa5tgDs/edit?usp=sharing ,was really testing it out largely for my own interest as I need to transfer a heap of data anyway.

I hope my posts dont come across too negative, just reporting my findings. HDLGameInstaller is extremely useful to me and is the best tool out there for the job (at least that I'm aware of) :)

TnA likes this.
  20. 1,009
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Thank you for your detailed documentation of your tests!

That spreadsheet might be useful for tracking down the issue/bug...