PS2 HDLGameInstaller

Discussion in 'PS2 Homebrew' started by sp193, Dec 16, 2015.

1. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

The app is great overall and the OST Title 1 bug is very small. I think sp193 could fix it in less than an hour, so maybe it's better to wait for him to have some free time? It's not like this would take any great deal of work. It's more like an oversight.

2. 11
    pelago

pelago Member

I didn't realise sp193 had retired. I've searched the psx-place but can't find a source for this. Can you link me?

3. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

He wrote it to me in a e-mail about a month ago. He said he can't put any time into this anymore and that he has "moved on".

4. 690
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I got a full-time job. It is why I cannot put full days into PS2 development anymore and some of these projects might not even be viewed as totally free from legal problems either. Then of course, I never got to enjoy any of these, so I ceased further investment. I too, am waiting for free time to happen for myself.

I wish, that it is actually so easy to work on the soft keyboard. If you added all the time I have spent on the keyboard (since 2011), it might be in several whole days, if not weeks. Why? Simply because I have no clear idea of how to make one, FreeType is challenging to use and it is nearly impossible to debug anything on the PS2.

This whole project was my second-worst designed project. The bugs in it, the time sunk in and so on, are so great that not even the full extent of those were described publicly because it was developed privately until late 2013. I gave up on it once and really wanted to bury the project, due to not being able to make its most prominent feature work well: network support.

The greatest irony was that it originally had more features planned out. Like Japanese input.

Anybody is welcome to do anything to the source code, including uploading it anywhere.

uyjulian, Algol and pelago like this.
  5. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

I understand all of that, but it worked in the previous version, so in the worst case scenario you can just revert the keyboard to that state, so that at least it doesn't mess up the game's config.

I have no idea why you're being so harsh on yourself here. This app is the best Game Installer for PS2, despite what you said. The network support is great for such an old device. The current speed for game transfer is fast considering that this is PS2, and it's very stable after your last fixes.

TnA, jolek and Algol like this.
  6. 1,341
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I also agree that it the best game installer app for PS2.
    I've almost filled my 500 GB HDD with it.
    None of installed games is giving me any additional problems.
    Also copy game from PS2 to PC works flawless.

I can try to look and upload previous version,
    but from what I remember it has got a problem with adding additional ! when you edited something:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/hdlgameinstaller.3709/page-5#post-147306.

TnA likes this.
  7. 298
    Grahf

Grahf Member

v0.820 has worse network support. v0.821 is superb overall, but it has that bug with OSDTitle1. What I meant was reverting the virtual keyboard code in v0.821 to the state before the bug if sp193 truly has no time at all to fix the current OSDTitle1 bug.

The additional ! could at least be edited out. Now you will always end up with just the first character for OSDTitle1, no matter what you enter.

8. 1,341
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

@schmatzler can you upload HDLGameinstaller with increased connection timeout (E.g.
    160)?