PS3 Help me save my cousins PS3 HDD he initialized in GPT

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Gabriel2Silva, May 15, 2019 at 3:31 PM.

1. 53
    Gabriel2Silva

Gabriel2Silva Forum Noob

My cousin's PS3 was failing (freezing, slowdowns, etc) so he decided to "copy" his hard drive content over to his PC in order to format it right after, despite my efforts to convince him Windows can't read PS3s filesystem. Obviously he ignored everything I've said and connected the PS3 HDD to his PC initializing it on GPT.
    Initially I thought he initialized it on MBR so I decided to copy the first sector from another HDD formatted on his own PS3 to the old one. Not only it didn't work but the PS3 wouldn't even start, green light to sudden shutdown with no LED.

Then I figured he could've initialized it on GPT. Tried to copy the first 32 sectors from the newly formatted HDD to the old one. Now all I get is a black screen. I can get to safe mode but none of the options work. They all get stuck in "Preparing..."
    I do have an eid_root_key backup. What else can I do?
    ps3.exe (PS3 HDD Reader) says "no hdd(s) found!" when I try to use it. Probably because it looks for the appropriate first sectors and it isn't finding it.

sandungas likes this.
  2. 597
    umart666

umart666 Member

you can try at this point to convert it in partition wizard to MBR,usually it does so without losing data however since you've already wrote and so multiple times on that disk i'd kiss that data goodbye.you can also make bit perfect copy in most backup making software,fill the drive with zeroes or ones and copy back the backup but really i don't think you'd do anything with that.

if you want just ps3 back you can erase all the partitions and rebuild the MBR in most partition software including windows stock diskpart on that or other hdd,ps3 will prompt to format it and to insert usb with firmware if your model is nor,on nand models you won't lose the firmware you had just all of your data.if you had cfw and a nor model you can simply reflash same version or higher for example if you had 4.82 cfw you can flash 4.82 or 4.84 but you can't go lower unless you QA flaged your console.same applies for OFW if you had HAN or HEN,or nothing at all.

3. 4,659
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Wanna-BeTA Tester Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    If you are talking the internal and on CFW you can use eID root key next time to backup data

4. 629
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    It's over, data is gone.

5. 453
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    From the little I know about Ps3 hdds in a windows machine, it sounds like your data is toast :/

ISAK.M likes this.
  6. 4,242
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The procedure to restore the first sector of the internal PS3 hdd is like this:
    1) Make a 1:1 backup of the entire original hdd contents (you can use clonezilla linux for this)
    2) Use the same hdd (or another one of exact the same manufacturer/model), connect it to the PS3 and allow the PS3 to format it
    3) Take the hdd to PC and make a backup of the first sector (first 512 bytes), you can do this with HxD hexeditor using the option "open device"
    4) Restore the entire hdd backup from step 1 (included the damaged area at begining)
    5) Overrite the first sector (damaged) with the sector you got in step 3 (fixed)

This works because the PS3 uses the first sector of the hdd as some kind of "MBR replacement" (but is not a MBR, is just it have the same size exactly... 1 sector = 512 bytes)

But if you initialized it in windows in GPT then there are 32 damaged sectors... so restoring only the first sector doesnt works
    I remember a talk here in the forum where someone said he was able to fix it (i guess he was restoring more sectors, or just was lucky) so dunno
    Anyway, if at some point you achieve to boot that hdd in PS3 (with the 32 sectors damaged and later "fixed" in a dirty way) i suggest you to make a backup of everything either FTP of with a filemanager running in the PS3 and format it to cleanup the traces of the disaster and to create fresh new filesystems

Algol, ISAK.M and DeViL303 like this.