Help with ps3 3004b

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by emilzago, Jul 13, 2019.

1. 23
    emilzago

emilzago Member

So I installed the hen and some homebrews (multiman, managunz, irisman and webman) without problems
    But whenever I try to launch one of them the system stuck on black screen until I shut it down
    The homebrews are working fine on other ps3 model 3003b
    Any idea what it could be?

2. 5,598
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
  3. 23
    emilzago

emilzago Member

I tried this but no luck
    Same issu homebrews give a black screen
    Any other suggestions?

4. 5,598
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Do you have a bad BD drive?

5. 23
    emilzago

emilzago Member

Yeah it is damaged

6. 5,598
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Well there is your answer. When that isn't working you get black screened apps. Are you sure it's a 3000 model? As those are built into the main board and there isn't a fix for that. But if it's 2100 or lower you can fix it.

7. 23
    emilzago

emilzago Member

yeah its a 3004b but i have a 3003b without a BD drive and it work fine

8. 5,598
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    That's why I'm not sure what's going on. The 3000 units don't have a daughterboard. The BD controller is built into the motherboard. Is there any chance the guts might have been swapped? @sandungas can't really help identify which model is that possible. I got sold a "2000x that was actually a 2500 with base firmware at 3.60 before. The only reason I got the 2000 as all are hackable. I returned it though to get my money back as it wasn't as described.

9. 23
    emilzago

emilzago Member

i can't tell to be honest this is my friend's ps3 and he said that it was working fine until yesterday when it did fall from the up of table and have this issu
    but what makes it weird is that everything go smooth until i run an installed homebrew or pkg game and it give a black screen
    i changed the HDD and removed the BD drive from the system just like i did to my 3003b but same problem
    sorry for my english

10. 4,996
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Ops, falling down from a table could cause important damage
    You should check the model and serial printed in the motherboard, check here:
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Motherboard_Revisions

The motherboard shipped from factory in a PS3 CECH-30xx PS3 model is the KTE-001. Is "printed" in a border
    Check that first to confirm if is a KTE-001 and report here

*Edit, and quote my nick with the answer, otherway probably i will miss your answer

11. 23
    emilzago

emilzago Member

I just checked and it is kte-001

12. 4,996
    sandungas

I was asking just incase the previous owner swapped motherboards, but is ok

One of the things that uses to happen when a PS3 falls to the floor is the solder balls of CELL and RSX can be damaged
    This happens because kinetic forces... the theory is the most weighty objects have a bigger opposition to move, the most weighty part of the PS3 is the heatsink
    But your PS3 was booting, so dunno, doesnt seems related with CELL/RSX

Not sure what you could do in this case, is very rare, but i would start taking a look around the bluray controller chip
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/CXD5132R-1

This chip is what needs to be "married" with the motherboard, in this motherboard model is soldered into it so obviouslly is married (this is why you can remove the BD drive completly in your other CECH-30xx, is fine)

Dunno there are no pins listed in the page in wiki, but you should check if it has voltage (and incase there is a voltage regulator close to it check it too)

Also, check if you have some metal "shit" making a shortcircuit in his pins... dunno maybe a small wire, or solder ball that was flying around and decided to land on top of the pins... this things could happen... actually even the dust is conductive so incase it have lot of dust in the pins clean them (an used toothbrush is handy for this task)

Another thing you could check (incase there is no voltage in the chip) is to take a look at the fuses (thermistors) of the motherboard, maybe there is one dedicated to the BD controller and it went fryed with the hit
    This thermistors are easy to identify because all them have a printing next to them starting with TH***
    E.g. TH1024

13. 4,996
    sandungas

Hmmm... i have a new theory... maybe you dont have video output but the PS3 software is running normally

Try this:
    1) Download and install managunz https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/releases
    2) Boot managunz (and the screen should go to black)
    3) keep attention at the "hdd activity" led in the front of the PS3

Im choosing managunz for this test because i know at first boot it does some tasks and is going to make the hdd activity led to blink for a few seconds
    After that you can press circle button repeatedly (blindly) to exit and managunz should take you back to XMB

atreyu187 likes this.
  14. 23
    emilzago

emilzago Member

it is clean and i cant find any shortcircuit i will check the voltage regulator and report you back
    edit : i didnt find a regulator on the power supply

the HDD led blinks few seconds like you said and stops but i cant exit to XMB

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  15. 4,996
    sandungas

I meant the voltage regulators (small chips) located around the motherboard, there are a bunch
    Basically... the PSu have 2 power rails, one works at 5v and is enabled permanently (to keep syscon alive at all times even in standby mode syscon is working)
    The other rail is 12v and is enabled when you press power ON button... then the 12v rail is divided in several other rails and goes to the voltage regulators (that reduces the voltage to smaller values)
    In between them there are fuses (the thermistors i mentioned before)

In tis wiki page you can see a list of the voltage regulators i could identify in my CECH-25xx (and the pinouts i was able to identify)... all them have a V_IN and V_OUT... and i guess one of them could be dedicated to the BD controller chip, but i dont know which one is it
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Talk:Regulators

Dunno, but if i where you this is probably the first thing i would try to confirm... i mean... before starting messing around with the motherboard hardware components and a multimeter

You need a confirmation thtt the software is not running
    I suggested to use managunz for that... but you can do it with any other game you have installed... it needs to be a game where you remember very well the main menu and the sequence of buttons needed to press to start playing because you need to do it blindly

You know... something like this:
    1) press cross button in XMB to start the game (and the screen goes black, you are in blind mode since this point)
    2) main menu of the game ---> new game
    3) select player type
    4) start game
    5) here you are inside the game, playing... you can start shooting or doing stuff

Along all that sequence you should see the "hdd activity" led in the frontal of the PS3 blinking a lot because it needs to load and save data to internal hdd