PS2 Homebrew problems after installing FMCB for the first time

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Windows10User, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:38 AM.

1. 2,132
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

If it not showing any "pop up" information, try to look for it in options, maybe video options, info.

Game should work normally as with picture quality.
    However low quality DVD disc can cause problems with reading data in PS2.

Then download noobie package that was in my previous post and try it.
    While installation select "no" to overwrite settings.

2. 419
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I didn't even know OPL came with GSM. How can I access it? So, the way I'm doing it, all things's resolutions are affected when doing that way it only affects OPL? If I use OPL's GSM will I have this black screen problem when choosing the 1080p setting?

I've noticed a burned game (I used a Verbatim DVD-R) looks bad with this PS2 to HDMI converter, I think worse than with bought games. Which component cables should I buy and will I also have the flickering problem or the horizontal lines one I'm having with the PS2 to HDMI converter?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:17 PM
  3. 1,405
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Basically, GSM intergrated into OPL allows you to set the resolution on a per-game basis.
    So, as an example, you have GTA:SA on your HDD, and OPL lists that game. You can highlight the game and access its per-game settings. Set your GSM mode, and then, when you boot that game from now on, it will start in the resolution you have set within the Per-Game settings.

OPL can also be displayed in higher resolutions, this can be accessed in the main OPL settings list.

But I don't think this will change anything... I was assuming that you were running a game. And not all games can be displayed in 1080p.
    Now i realise this is happening with OSDSYS as well, I'm thinking its your HDMI adaptor not accepting 1080p Input.

Windows10User likes this.
  4. 2,132
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Overall image through PS2HDMI looks blurry.
    The most common problem with component is with ghosting.
    Especially cheap cables does that.

Do you also have flickering problem when you select 480\576p?

5. 419
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

What if I test OPL's GSM (I don't know how to work with the former)? Since OPL doesn't run burned games I guess I have to share the game from the PC to the PS2, for instance. How can I do that without having to connect an ethernet to the PS2? Do you think I'll also have this problem with OPL's GSM? Maybe I don't even have to share a game and just test the resolution settings and see if I have the black scren problem.

But bought games don't look like this and I don't notice a difference in picture quality between the cheap component cables with the flickering problem and this PS2 to HDMI converter (I didn't even notice between official Sony composite and these third-party component cables).

When? Using the PS2 to HDMI converter? With the component cables I think I don't have the horizontal lines problem I do with the PS2 to HDMI converter. How can I not have the black screen problem with the PS2 to HDMI converter when choosing the GSM 720p setting if the converter supposedly only supports up to 576p?

Also, could you help me with the "DVD Player is not setup"?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:17 PM
  6. 2,132
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Install this noobie package:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/fmcb-fhdb-noobie-package.21763/.

Additionally best picture quality you will have with 576p for PAL and 480p for NTSC games.
    Check if will have flickering with these V-modes.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 2:39 PM
  7. 1,405
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Your not bound to just using disks and SMB. You could use a USB HDD (USB Flash drive also works) but compatibility isn't great with USB (USB 1.1 on Ps2 is SLOWER than the DVD drive)
    I'm assuming this is a Slim? If not and you own a Fat, you also have the option of using an Internal HDD (but this requires 1. An IDE HDD and 2. An official Sony Network Adaptor).

Have you browsed my AIO guide? It covers all the options for game storage (USB, HDD, ETH and ESR)

I'm thinking that your HDMI adaptor is the culprit. Unfortunately to test this, your gonna need to buy another component cable...

EDIT: Just checked my purchase history over on ebay. Specifically, I purchased THIS cable. And it works perfectly for me.

8. 419
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Even if I don't does that mean when I want to play a bought game I should use the PS2 to HDMI converter? Does ESR work with bought games?

Yes, it's a Slim. I don't want it if it's slow. Yes, I did. If the HDMI adaptor is the culprit then my bad luck doesn't even since I have the mentioned flickering problem with the component cables (maybe I'd also have it with those I bought)...

What about the message about the DVD drive?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 3:32 PM
  9. 1,405
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Legit Ps2 disks will just work. FMCB or not, they will boot with no ESR needed.

One more option for Internal HDD is available if your Slim is a first release Slim (V12, model number SCPH-700xx). This Ps2 has the connections for IDE still present on the main board. You can purchase a IDE/SATA adaptor board that can be soldered direct to these IDE pads. Allowing for an "Internal" HDD solution.
    You can find that IDE/SATA board HERE. But be warned, you will need to be handy with a soldering iron to achieve it.

jolek likes this.
  10. 419
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

But I wasn't asking if they'd work but saying I'd have the flickering problem again when playing them. I don't want to solder anything (nor I know how to).

11. 1,405
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    I can't answer that I'm afraid as I don't know the cause of the flickering...

12. 419
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Could you help me with the "DVD Player is not set up" message in the PS2 Browser after inserting a burned DVD?

13. 1,405
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    That's because you either didn't patch the ISO with ESR before burning it, or you aren't starting ESR at the Ps2 OSDSYS menu.

14. 419
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I patched the game and whe I turn on the PS2 it directly enters in the PS2 Browser and I have that message. If I go back and return to the PS2 Browser I also have this issue. I can still load the game if I run ESR in the OSDSYS menu first, though.

EDIT: The V2/V3/V4 versions of the noobie package come with GSM outside of OPL so this is a little confusing I should use OPL's GSM and not this GSM, right?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:33 PM
  15. 1,405
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Yes, this is how it works. You patch disc with ESR then start it with ESR on the ps2.
    It's not like a regular retail disc where it just boots up automatically. Neither can you boot it from the browser. You can only boot ESR patched discs by starting ESR. That's just how it works.

FreeDVDBoot only works as it exploits the DVD player. It can be used in combination with a retail game to achieve similar results to the way retail games boot.
    Im still working out the finer details on how to achieve this but can't put it into practice until an ISO is released for the dvd player version I'm using, which is 2.13.

As for GSM. It was released and used before it wss integrated into OPL. It doesn't matter really which one is used, but OPL has a much easier system for setting resolutions per game

16. 419
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

This is weird. I downloaded and installed the noobie package v4 and ESR doesn't show up in the OSDSYS menu unlike what's stated in the post. Does that mean I should download it and add it to the OSDSYS?

I just tried a burned game and it worked even without having to go to the OSDSYS menu like a normal bought game and I no longer have that DVD Player message when going to the PS2 Browser.

Also, why does the noobie package come with both GSM and OPL if the latter already includes the former?

EDIT: Weird, FMCB (or a program in it) is resetting my screen from time to time (I had stretched it on my TV's settings to not have the black borders even before installing FMCB for the first time). Thanks to that I have the black borders again.

I just tested both GSM 1080i/1080i non-interlaced settings and the screen didn't go black so it looks like it only happens if I select its 1080p setting. Isn't it weird since the PS2 to HDMI converter only supports up to 576i? Anyway, when I choose the 720p/1080i/1080i non-interlaced settings (at least) and if the screen is stretched to not have black borders the screen changes and some of the words don't fit on it. What's the difference between 1080i and 1080i non-interlaced? I thought the "i" meant interlacing (and "p" progressive) but it looks like it isn't the case. Does the non-interlaced setting offer better picture quality than the other 1080i one, and if so, shouldn't it be called 1080p, even if there's already a 1080p setting, or just because it isn't non-interlaced it isn't "p"? This is confusing.

EDIT 2: After all, FMCB comes with ESR but oddly it isn't listed in the OSDSYS menu. How can I exit wLaunchELF without restarting the PS2?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 9:09 PM